By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony patents Split-screen play without Split

Sony just found a useful application for glasses 3D Technology besides being 3D.

2-Player single-Screen Gameplay. 

Instead of using the 3D glasses to show each eye a different picture, they are used to show each player a different screen.

that way, two people can compete against each other in games and have a full-screen view, without seeing what the other player does.

i think that is pretty cool.

source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/07/20/interesting-sony-patents/

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

That's an awesome idea! 

That sounds really cool and ideal but imagine the cost of this thing...

Wow. I didn't think about it but that's pretty cool. Good job Sony.

Cross-X said:

it doesn't cost anything, it comes free with every 3D TV

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

Damn. I had this EXACT idea when I started reading about 3d tech this year. I am a visionary :)

i can't wait, every time i play a split screen game against friends i complain that they screen peak and that the screen is too small, now all i have to do is buy a 3d tv with glasses and its problem solved, lets hope that they will get a price cut in the next 5 months, hopefully a 2000$ one.

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

Truly awesome idea. If they get this up and running, it may convince me to buy a 3D TV.

It's a great idea but it's a shame it seems only able to work for 2 players. I wonder if they can implement it so that when you have 4 players, the screen is split into two with 2 players images projected from the top half and 2 from the bottom? It would mean that you could still see one other players screen but at least you don't have it split into 4 and viewing one other is better than viewing 3 others (if that makes sense!).

Porcupine_I said:
Cross-X said:

it doesn't cost anything, it comes free with every 3D TV

Now that's what I'd like to hear :D!! That's amazing really.

So technically I be able to play Split Screen with my bro but with one big screen. That's crazy!