By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Alien Swarm Free on Steam

This is really a lot of fun to play. I'm generally opposed to leveling systems in shooters (like COD/BFBC) but it just works here. I'm a huge L4D/L4D2 fan and this is right up there in fun factor though I'm not sure it has the same replay value.

Anyone else think this may be Valve's entrance into the 'free to play' game market? The levels included are relatively short and can be completed on normal or hard pretty quickly. I could see them releasing more levels/classes/weapons/achievements for money. Of course people are going to make good levels with the already released SDK, but Valve is up to something here. That something is probably micro transactions for additional game content once people are sold on the core game. I bet it's also a good way to get more people to try and use Steam.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
ameratsu said:

This is really a lot of fun to play. I'm generally opposed to leveling systems in shooters (like COD/BFBC) but it just works here. I'm a huge L4D/L4D2 fan and this is right up there in fun factor though I'm not sure it has the same replay value.

Anyone else think this may be Valve's entrance into the 'free to play' game market? The levels included are relatively short and can be completed on normal or hard pretty quickly. I could see them releasing more levels/classes/weapons/achievements for money. Of course people are going to make good levels with the already released SDK, but Valve is up to something here. That something is probably micro transactions for additional game content once people are sold on the core game. I bet it's also a good way to get more people to try and use Steam.

It could be that they released it instead of the mod team releasing AS:Infection which they were supposedly working on for before the got hired by Valve, on the source engine too. But I can't wait for the user maps.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

ameratsu said:

It could... to me it feels more like some people at Valve working on it mostly in their free time and valve just letting them finish it on their time and releasing it for free since whatever you make when your signed to a company is their IP.  Even if it's your free time.  I think this project started before they were hired by valve.

Probably hoping it's popular enough that they can release an Alien Swarm 2 as a full priced big game... kinda like the other mods to retail products.

Maybe they'll add DL content though, who knows.  It feels contrary to the valve policy of games as a service though.

well played about 3 hours of AS with a couple of mates...

lots of fun more than worth the asking price lol. Especially compared to the diabolical $15US modern warfare 2 map packs lol.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

A TF2 hat you say or do you mean some sort of face hugger as I have started seeing them in TF2 of late. Will set this off in the background muchas for the heads up.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network
welshbloke said:

A TF2 hat you say or do you mean some sort of face hugger as I have started seeing them in TF2 of late. Will set this off in the background muchas for the heads up.

parasite hat for TF2 can be unlocked by playing alien swarm

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

sweet.

i got Steam just for this game. i was always skeptical about Steam but i wasnt gonna let this deal slip away. Steam is,so far, a great service. i just need to buy more games from it.

anywho, its really a fantastic game. probably the best top-down and co-op shooter iv ever played. still cant believe its free.

TX109 said:

i got Steam just for this game. i was always skeptical about Steam but i wasnt gonna let this deal slip away. Steam is,so far, a great service. i just need to buy more games from it.

anywho, its really a fantastic game. probably the best top-down and co-op shooter iv ever played. still cant believe its free.

It has been free for yearss and years as a mod. There are many other games that were mods for UT2004 which are every bit as awesome as this one and some a lot better.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
TX109 said:

It has been free for yearss and years as a mod. There are many other games that were mods for UT2004 which are every bit as awesome as this one and some a lot better.

k...im not in to PC gaming that much so i dont actively look for mods of games i never played.