By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I just realized that Nintendo will stay in first place for a long time

Qays said:

2. No, I'm pretty sure I have good taste, at least in terms of the mediums I care about.

Not a shadow of doubt =) Pathetic. BTW what are those mediums and what works of it you consider good? Just out of curiosity, and to have some basis on what other people may judge your taste and decide whether it is truly good or a worthless measure.

Around the Network

I dunno, I don't play card games or board games.

Give us an example of your 'good taste'.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Qays said:

I dunno, I don't play card games or board games.

That's a shame. I think you'd understand the relationship between hardware and software much better if you did.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Qays said:
UncleScrooge said:

Qays, some points:

1) you didn't get my point about business at all. Of course business wants to sell but how do you sell a product? By knowing your customers. Knowing what your customers view as quality helps you sell your product and thus business has to objectively analyze what quality means. Otherwise there wouldn't be any sales

2) What best selling artists are you talking about? The Beatles? Elvis? In case you are talking about Boygroups or something like that: The job of a boygroup was never to make "quality" music but to make little boys and girls go crazy because they wanted to be like these artists or because they wanted to fall in love with these artists. And, wow, they did their job very well so boygroups became famous. The guy who formed the Backstreetboys for instance made it pretty clear that he wanted to put the actual "members" of the band into a new context of use. He was successful because he used different values ("qualities") to achieve this goal

3) No, you are judging Wii Sports by the values that make a good Cinematic game! Again, like Soaps vs  Horror movies...

4) Yes, they will have fond memories of Wii Sports. And people like the ones in this thread will have them, too, including myself and my friends. And we're actually grown-ups

Oh and I play Wii Sports Resort over and over again, each time with increased pleasure because I'm actually getting better each time I play it (especially table tennis)

And it's funny that you mention Super Smash Bros because Smash Bros. was always considered to be a shallow fighting game I guess you don't like quality fighting games. Oh and you liked Sonic? Wasn't Sonic the game that was tuned down so you could play with only one button?

1. I don't think you got my point about your point about business. The definition of quality that a business will settle on is a meaningless definition. Knowing what most customers think quality is has nothing at all to do with what quality actually is.

2. A definition of quality that admits the Backstreet Boys is a definition of quality that makes no sense.

3. Not at all. Not all good games are cinematic. Is Flower a cinematic game? Is Crash Bandicoot?  All I am doing is holding Wii Sports to the same standards that good games are held - it comes up wanting not because of its genre or its presentation, but because it is a shallow game that aims for the lowest common denominator of gameplay.

4. I do not hold with those who consider Super Smash to be a shallow game, and I am a longtime player of "real" fighting games. And say what you will about Sonic, it required more skill to play than Wii Fit.

1) Oh man... the only reason why businessmen are interested in these things is because customers do not know what quality is to them. This is why it had to be defined Customers often say "this is a quality product" and then they don't buy it or vice versa. But why would a customer act like that? Because he doesn't really know what quality is to him so businessmen had to define it. This is... rather common sense

2) See, this is your problem. Just because you don't see the quality doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist to me, either btw. But I know why little boys and girls liked them and why it made them a quality boygroup to them.

3) No, again, you are holding it up to the games YOU think are of high quality. Maybe you just have a bad taste

4) But you used Smash Bros. as an example of a game people would like even though when the first N64 game was released people said it was a shallow fighting game and lacked depth

Oh and Sonic required different skills, not more skills. See? Again you are comparing apples and oranges. I could also say "Sonic only requires you to control your thumbs while Wii Fit requires you to control your whole body so Wii Fit requires more skills" Oh and I like Sonic, btw.

Around the Network

What about sports, any artistic sports?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

"Not a shadow of doubt =) Pathetic. BTW what are those mediums and what works of it you consider good? Just out of curiosity, and to have some basis on what other may judge your taste and decide whether it is truly good or a worthless measure."

A good book is Ficciones.

A good album is My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.

A good collection of poetry is the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

A good film is Festen.

A good game is Demon's Souls.

Qays said:

A good book is Ficciones.

A good album is My Life in the Bush of Ghosts.

A good collection of poetry is the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.

A good film is Festen.

A good game is Demon's Souls.

Elaborate your choices, please, in more details.

Demon's Souls is a good game (my opinion), for an action game with semi RPG elements, some people don't like it though (their opinion). It certainly is not art.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

mai said:
UncleScrooge said:
Qays said:

My favorite thing about people with bad taste: they accuse you of being elitist for having good taste.

Well I won't comment on that but...

Have you ever talked to a 40 year old person who grew up on computer games about the quality of the games you like? They'll laugh at you and tell you that your game isn't quality at all.

Oh, don't say a word anymore =)

It's annoying to have a conversation on the Internet and constantly being accused of having a bad taste by some young boys, who so full of themselves and opinionated that they know better than me what's is good and what's not. Yeah, I'm just a redneck.

I completely forgot to answer to your post with all the arguing going on hehe

I guess over time you are just more relaxed when it comes to these things because you've seen multiple definitions of "what is important" (in a general sense) come and go. It's just the flow of time I guess. It can make you scared but it can also make you more relaxed