By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

LordTheNightKnight said:

Considering the sales of NSMBWii in EMAA, I think it's safe to say that was a hit in the UK as well.

If the legs for Other M don't hold, it's likely they will swtich to another Prime style game next time.

Maybe in terms of theme, but i would bet the 3rd person is here to stay. Nintendo once tried pushing Metroid further down the FPS path, and there's nowhere to go there.

My guess is that the next console title will be more along the lines of a 3rd-person-shooter, but with similar speed and agility to what was seen in Other M, but the next Metroid overall will be Dread, 3DS 2012 or early 2013, klonoa-esque sidescroller

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Considering the sales of NSMBWii in EMAA, I think it's safe to say that was a hit in the UK as well.

If the legs for Other M don't hold, it's likely they will swtich to another Prime style game next time.

Maybe in terms of theme, but i would bet the 3rd person is here to stay. Nintendo once tried pushing Metroid further down the FPS path, and there's nowhere to go there.

My guess is that the next console title will be more along the lines of a 3rd-person-shooter, but with similar speed and agility to what was seen in Other M, but the next Metroid overall will be Dread, 3DS 2012 or early 2013, klonoa-esque sidescroller

Why are we still using "Dread" to refer to some unnamed Metroid title?

Khuutra said:
Mr Khan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

It has become the byword for Metroid V, i suppose, and it's more readily recognized than saying "the next mainline Metroid"

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Khuutra said:

It has become the byword for Metroid V, i suppose, and it's more readily recognized than saying "the next mainline Metroid"

Was Other M not mainline when I wasn't looking? Or is it code for a Metroid that takes place, canonically, after Fusion?

Mr Khan said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I wouldn't say there's nowhere to go. That just strikes me as a lack of imagination comment.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
Conegamer said:
Demotruk said:
Conegamer said:
Demotruk said:

http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

Fallen to 40th in it's second week in the UK.

Ouch- clearly Nintendo games aren't popular around the release of Halo: Reach in the UK (seriously, it's the only thing in this country, it's almost as though nothing else exists!)

More fool them, they're missing out on a great game.

Or maybe the game is just not what people want.

I find that hard to believe

Well it's better than your own hypothesis, which is falsified by the fact that there are a number of "Nintendo games" higher on the UK chart than Other M.

Perhaps, but perhaps the people who were the target audience for this game (namely more mature gamers) would rather hold out for Reach if they had the chance, no?

I find it hard to believe no-one wants it, it's just the release is a little awkward. I still reckon round 500,000 by end of the year.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Demotruk said:

Well it's better than your own hypothesis, which is falsified by the fact that there are a number of "Nintendo games" higher on the UK chart than Other M.

Perhaps, but perhaps the people who were the target audience for this game (namely more mature gamers) would rather hold out for Reach if they had the chance, no?

I find it hard to believe no-one wants it, it's just the release is a little awkward. I still reckon round 500,000 by end of the year.

This implies that Metroid and Halo have the same demographics, or Halo's overlaps with Metroid's.

This is not the case. Gamers arn't that broadly classified.

Khuutra said:
Conegamer said:
Demotruk said:

This implies that Metroid and Halo have the same demographics, or Halo's overlaps with Metroid's.

I suppose I'm just dissapointed with the sales, and there's no hiding- no way of getting out of it;

Gaming has changed. 

Back when I started gaming, there was no such thing as an "FPS" (I remember Duke Nukem Forever vividly). Now it's the "in thing"

Surely this should mean that Other M would sell well? Quite the opposite. These so-called "hardcore" gamers see a game as "hardcore" and "mature" due to being able to blow stuff up. Hence the Wii isn't recognised, due to poorer graphics. This results in less of Other M's target audience OWNING a Wii, let alone getting the game...

Perhaps I'm blowing things out of proportion, but I preferred a world where you weren't recognised for owning a different console to other people, and it was just considered "geeky". I KNOW metroid games dont normally SELL THAT WELL but still

Conegamer said:
Khuutra said:

I suppose I'm just dissapointed with the sales, and there's no hiding- no way of getting out of it;

Gaming has changed. 

Back when I started gaming, there was no such thing as an "FPS" (I remember Duke Nukem Forever vividly). Now it's the "in thing"

Surely this should mean that Other M would sell well? Quite the opposite. These so-called "hardcore" gamers see a game as "hardcore" and "mature" due to being able to blow stuff up. Hence the Wii isn't recognised, due to poorer graphics. This results in less of Other M's target audience OWNING a Wii, let alone getting the game...

Perhaps I'm blowing things out of proportion, but I preferred a world where you weren't recognised for owning a different console to other people, and it was just considered "geeky". I KNOW metroid games dont normally SELL THAT WELL but still

Other M is being seriously outperformed by the pprior Metroid game on Wii. This is nont a problem with the Wii. It's a problem with the game.

Khuutra said:
Conegamer said:
Khuutra said:

Gaming has changed. 

Other M is being seriously outperformed by the pprior Metroid game on Wii. This is nont a problem with the Wii. It's a problem with the game.

Hmm...maybe it is just a problem with the game. Reviews seem to be split down the middle, maybe it's just not what people were expecting.

Shame, really.