By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official Metroid Other M Thread

I got 100% completion, probably going to do hard mode now. Great game, not as good as Metroid Prime imo,but, still enjoyed this game overall.

Visit my Metroid thread and vote:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=115920&page=1

Around the Network

Now that I beat the game I can really say I didn't like the story that much though the gameplay was alright. Samus was too emotional for my tastes. I'm all for her Ptsd with Ridley but come on hugging adams helmet jeez. This game just makes me wish Samus was a man then we wouldn't of had those stupid sences. don't even get me started on the gay thumbs up/down.

well, just beat it and I can gladdly say that this game was made for an idiot like me. I loved spaming the beam and killing enemies. I loved the boss fights. I thought the cutscenes were the best iv'e seen on my wii. It's was action packed from begining to end, but there's one thing I never got.

WHO was the Deleter???

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

turtuls said:

well, just beat it and I can gladdly say that this game was made for an idiot like me. I loved spaming the beam and killing enemies. I loved the boss fights. I thought the cutscenes were the best iv'e seen on my wii. It's was action packed from begining to end, but there's one thing I never got.

WHO was the Deleter???

Do people not pay attention?  Or do they just not know how to deduce it lol lets see the deleter killed the guy in the snow area, killed the guy in the lava then after Samus left MB alone he attacked her... which she smiled... and then later you find a dead body there... that was the deleter lol

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I found this post on the Metroid Database forums talking about the story of Other M, and I must say that's a bit how I feel about this supposed characterization Samus got in this game:

''[...] What appeared to be a majority of us wanted a more fleshed out story, and had been wanting it for a long time, and he [Sakamoto] said he'd give it to us. Now just about all of the people who said they wanted a story are saying that his sucked.

It isn't even that this Samus conflicts with the one some of us imagined (it doesn't for me, both because of my next point and because I don't like speculating). It's that the one in the game doesn't have any character. 

Her constant monologue, were it gone, would leave her nearly just as fleshed out as she is in the other games. Now she... explains things. She doesn't even really offer an opinion, just explanation, that's not characterization, that's not fleshing out. 
[...]''

The whole thread in general is very interesting: http://www.metroid-database.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3864

Anyways, like someone said, there's no point in complaining about all the little details. Let's just hope we'll get another Metroid game and see if they can please the crowd that liked the western Samus better than ''Sakomoto's real vision'' of Samus.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:

I found this post on the Metroid Database forums talking about the story of Other M, and I must say that's a bit how I feel about this supposed characterization Samus got in this game:

''[...] What appeared to be a majority of us wanted a more fleshed out story, and had been wanting it for a long time, and he [Sakamoto] said he'd give it to us. Now just about all of the people who said they wanted a story are saying that his sucked.

It isn't even that this Samus conflicts with the one some of us imagined (it doesn't for me, both because of my next point and because I don't like speculating). It's that the one in the game doesn't have any character. 

Her constant monologue, were it gone, would leave her nearly just as fleshed out as she is in the other games. Now she... explains things. She doesn't even really offer an opinion, just explanation, that's not characterization, that's not fleshing out. 
[...]''

The whole thread in general is very interesting: http://www.metroid-database.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3864

Anyways, like someone said, there's no point in complaining about all the little details. Let's just hope we'll get another Metroid game and see if they can please the crowd that liked the western Samus better than ''Sakomoto's real vision'' of Samus.

But she does offer opinions... often... she expresses her feelings... It's just irritating when people say things that just aren't true, I mean if you didn't pay attention to her opinion, that's his deal and anyone that feels that way, she expresses her feelings for many things in the game, the deleter, Adam, Anthony, the baby metroid, then she shows character in her reactions to situations, that is all characterization if you like it or not.  

Largely I feel people that were hooked by the primes and made their own idea of what Samus should be, look at Other M and ignore whatever parts don't agree with them and then their arguments form around that.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
SHMUPGurus said:

[...]''

But she does offer opinions... often... she expresses her feelings... It's just irritating when people say things that just aren't true, I mean if you didn't pay attention to her opinion, that's his deal and anyone that feels that way, she expresses her feelings for many things in the game, the deleter, Adam, Anthony, the baby metroid, then she shows character in her reactions to situations, that is all characterization if you like it or not.  

Largely I feel people that were hooked by the primes and made their own idea of what Samus should be, look at Other M and ignore whatever parts don't agree with them and then their arguments form around that.

She tells us about the Deleter... but does she really care about him after that scene with MB? I mean even if they didn't introduce the Federation Troopers in that game, would it have changed anything? That's like a story in the story. About Adam, the Metroids and bioweapons development, we pretty much already knew what she thought about them in the previous games (Fusion mostly, because that's when we got inside her mind the most before Other M). They put lots of cutscenes to explain her past, but to me it felt more that they wanted to explain the Adam in this story better, not really talk about Samus, so we can than understand the decision he took in Sector Zero better.

Anyways, to be completely honest with you, the only big thing that bugged me was the ending of the game. It was just so sudden and brutal, I didn't expect that at all. About the Ridley scene, well it would have been great to at least tell us Ridley destroyed her homeworld with the Pirates a long time ago. Then it would have made a lot more sense because then she wouldn't have expected him to be alive after killing him twice or something. Also, people say she had that PTSD thing or whatever... that wasn't in the game so it can't explain it. That's backstory and if you want it to be part of the Metroid universe you have to show it to everyone at least. So many people tell me Halo has no story and when I show them the books and everything, they don't even count them in the story because it's not part of the games most of the time. Well there ya go, it applies to Metroid too.

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

I would like to add the following point.

Sakamto stated clearly he wanted to take back Samus and Metroid, with a real story and characterization. In some way it means the outing of the more 'purist' fans - those who favor the shallow bountyhunter type.0 Those fans would never be happy with the new direction.

So the dissent from some fans is more or less planned. Or at least a to be expected consequence of the reboot. Nintendo had to expect this in some way. Time will tell if those lost 'purist' fans are replaced by new and more mainstream fans - Nintendo's clear goal with Other M. 

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

I've read that guy's posts and maybe if he weighed both sides of the argument I'd buy into it better. Plus the guy is being a pathetic troll on the Gamefaqs board for the game and engaging in strawman tactics

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I would like to add the following point.

Sakamto stated clearly he wanted to take back Samus and Metroid, with a real story and characterization. In some way it means the outing of the more 'purist' fans - those who favor the shallow bountyhunter type.0 Those fans would never be happy with the new direction.

So the dissent from some fans is more or less planned. Or at least a to be expected consequence of the reboot. Nintendo had to expect this in some way. Time will tell if those lost 'purist' fans are replaced by new and more mainstream fans - Nintendo's clear goal with Other M. 

There is no way they planned for this game to do as poorly as it will.