By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Analyst: Microsoft could get $1 billion from Xbox Kinect

Analyst: Microsoft could get $1 billion from Xbox Kinect

Kinect, the upcoming motion and voice control add-on for Xbox 360, could bring in $1 billion for Microsoft in its first year, an industry analyst said Monday.

Sandeep Aggarwal, an analyst with Caris & Co., said in a research note that the device, which is expected to sell for $150 when it's released Nov. 4, will generate $2 billion in industry revenue, with 50 to 60 percent going to Microsoft itself. Barron's first reported the research note.

Aggarwal expects 15 to 25 percent of current Xbox 360 owners to buy Kinect within the first year. At 15 percent, that could bring in $900 million in sales. Then he figures Kinect will generate 1 million extra console sales for about $300 million.

Courtesy of Microsoft
The Kinect add-on for Xbox 360.

Of course, all of this would push up Xbox Live revenue, which is thought to have brought in more than $1 billion during the last fiscal year. (Microsoft's fiscal 2010 ended June 30.) And then there's game sales, the revenue from some of which would go to Microsoft.

Add everything up, and Aggarwal estimates Microsoft will net about $1 billion from Kinect during the first year, according to Barron's.

Microsoft stock closed up 56 cents -- or 2.31 percent -- to $24.83, and was still rising in after-hours trading. The software superpower is busy wooing and wowing business partners this week at its annual Worldwide Partner Conference in Washington, D.C.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/214309.asp

Around the Network

M$ makes billions as easy as I make my $8.50 an hour.

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

I think many folks are underestimating the sheer selling power of a redsigned 360 and Kinect. Thier line up was stellar for extreme casual market penetration(dirty eh!Bp). They are set to generate quite a bit of sales. I just hope Sony's move can do above expectations so that way MSFT can stay on it's toes.  

Yes it "could", and the PS2 can still sell 100 Million this year. And the 3DS could come out tomorrow.

$150 . . . . 

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:

$150 . . . . 

Don't jinx it...there's still hope!(I hope)

toMsons7551 said:

Yes it "could", and the PS2 can still sell 100 Million this year. And the 3DS could come out tomorrow.

Seriously?

Why 25% of Xbox 360 owners should buy Kinect? Is there a game (or more) which will move 9 million people to spend 150$? Wii Motion Plus without Wii Sports Resort probably wouldn't have sold 20m by now, and that is a bit over 25% of Wii owners. Plus we all know many Xbox sales are because of RRoD problems, so probably moving 5 million units to already existing customers would be already enough with the line up Kinect looks to have (party games, sports games, fitness games, few racing games).

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

Buzzi said:

Why 25% of Xbox 360 owners should buy Kinect? Is there a game (or more) which will move 9 million people to spend 150$? Wii Motion Plus without Wii Sports Resort probably wouldn't have sold 20m by now, and that is a bit over 25% of Wii owners. Plus we all know many Xbox sales are because of RRoD problems, so probably moving 5 million units to already existing customers would be already enough with the line up Kinect looks to have (party games, sports games, fitness games, few racing games).

There are 15 games az launch. Niot one game will sell hardware, a library of games will.

And the bolded part is just trolling.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

I agree that 25% of Xbox360 owners buying kinect in its first year seem high.

I know I'm getting one.  I might pre-order, gettin little nervous about back orders.

Wonder how many Xbox360 owners on this site will get kinect this year.  Isn't there a poll somewhere?