By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the motion controls the real draw for the Wii?

Are the motion controls the real draw for the Wii?

Yes, totally. 25 32.05%

Somewhat... 31 39.74%

Mostly no. 16 20.51%

No, totally. 6 7.69%

Total:78

What made me get it was solely Brawl at first. Now Monster hunter 3. I got lots of other games but really these two make me like the Wii a lot. Motion controls weren't the complete selling point for me. I liked a few of the controls in some games, but in others, the motion stuff isnt needed.

Around the Network

I got my Wii for the games.  So far I'm only mildly disappointed.

Linkasf said:

What made me get it was solely Brawl at first. Now Monster hunter 3. I got lots of other games but really these two make me like the Wii a lot. Motion controls weren't the complete selling point for me. I liked a few of the controls in some games, but in others, the motion stuff isnt needed.

Oh BRAWL!! Oh yeah that game... Too bad I've only managed to get around to seeing the starting cinematic, though thats an epic cinematic at that! I really should play... erm yeah... I've had it long enough.

I wholly enjoy most of the first party nintendo games and some third party games, but when I read and saw articles like this, you see what the appeal is for which type of demographic. If nintendo didn't include Wii Sports, it would have been fine with the hardcore, but probably wouldn't have as great appeal or sales as it has today. There will be always that "what if.." regarding nintendo including motion controls with its correlation to the wii's popularity, but it's obvious that it is strong and is now the leader because of its inclusion. Or it only is popular because it's the only console with Just Dance and Carnival Games. :)

seniors playing wii: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/19/senior.exercise.wii/index.html#cnnSTCText

"I'm in it to win it," one man said as he rolled his walker up to the foul line. Pure win.

don't waste time

3DS FC 4914-3563-4510

NNID : turtuls

turtuls said:

I wholly enjoy most of the first party nintendo games and some third party games, but when I read and saw articles like this, you see what the appeal is for which type of demographic. If nintendo didn't include Wii Sports, it would have been fine with the hardcore, but probably wouldn't have as great appeal or sales as it has today. There will be always that "what if.." regarding nintendo including motion controls with its correlation to the wii's popularity, but it's obvious that it is strong and is now the leader because of its inclusion. Or it only is popular because it's the only console with Just Dance and Carnival Games. :)

seniors playing wii: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/19/senior.exercise.wii/index.html#cnnSTCText

"I'm in it to win it," one man said as he rolled his walker up to the foul line. Pure win.

Yeah, always the what-if. However its not the physical system IMO but the values of the people who made the system which is important here. I guess Nintendo has a vision of the experience they wish to share with people and they found the physical controller as a barrier to that vision so it had to be changed. So in that respect the motion controls are not the main focus of the controller, its the pointer and the simplified button layout. The motion is simply an accessory to the fact that the controller had to conform to their vision of accessibility without shedding too much functionality even if it added functionality in different ways and their first big game was Wii Sports. Thats just an artifact as subsequent games haven't been as motion reliant.

I think this is an important topic to discuss because of the fact that we have two other companies with their inspired designs coming onto the market. Perhaps its a good time to stock-take on what the Wii experience is all about.

Around the Network

I convinced my family to buy a Wii and I doubt they would have done it had the Wii not had motion controls. A couple months ago I bought my own Wii for the games that they were never going to get. I haven't been disapointed ^_^

Sig thanks to Saber! :D