By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Possible 3DS killer up Sony's sleve??

snfr said:

Sometimes it seems like some people (including you) totally forget about Sony's own games (1st party). Those who want to tell me that Sony games are (objectively seen) not on par with Nintendo's or MS's have obviously never played them or... well... you know.

Especially Sony hasn't really relied on third party games this gen. The only third party games that drove PS3s were MGS4 (worldwide) and Yakuza 3 and 4 (only in japan). People mainly buying PS3s because of Sony's first (and second) party games, and not because of third party ones. And Nintendo isn't unstoppable, next gen could look totally different. When you look back you'll see what happend to Nintendo after the SNES und you'll see what happened to Sony after the PS2.

It's been said many times that nobody questions how good Sony's 1st party games are. It's completely subjective and you may like them as much as you can, but it's outrageous stupidity to think that Sony's 1st party games have a chance to win against Nintendo's 1st party in sales compraison. That's what matters and it's an objective reality. Deal with it.

LOL, so now PS3 ain't supported by 3rd parties, though it got practically every multiplatform game while Wii got nothing? And  regardless of 3rd party support Nintendo sold twice as much consoles as Sony. Your argument doesn't hold any water, in fact, it proves the opposite (see above).

Around the Network
mai said:

snfr said:

Sometimes it seems like some people (including you) totally forget about Sony's own games (1st party). Those who want to tell me that Sony games are (objectively seen) not on par with Nintendo's or MS's have obviously never played them or... well... you know.

Especially Sony hasn't really relied on third party games this gen. The only third party games that drove PS3s were MGS4 (worldwide) and Yakuza 3 and 4 (only in japan). People mainly buying PS3s because of Sony's first (and second) party games, and not because of third party ones. And Nintendo isn't unstoppable, next gen could look totally different. When you look back you'll see what happend to Nintendo after the SNES und you'll see what happened to Sony after the PS2.

It's been said many times that nobody questions how good Sony's 1st party games are. It's completely subjective and you may like them as much as you can, but it's outrageous stupidity to think that Sony's 1st party games have a chance to win against Nintendo's 1st party in sales compraison. That's what matters and it's an objective reality. Deal with it.

LOL, so now PS3 ain't supported by 3rd parties, though it got practically every multiplatform game while Wii got nothing? And  regardless of 3rd party support Nintendo sold twice as much consoles as Sony. Your argument doesn't hold any water, in fact, it proves the opposite (see above).

The only thing I talked about was quality, not sales. And I know it's subjective, I have actually claimed that several times on vgchartz. Objectively seen no first party is superior to the other ones (in quality), but in the end personal taste and opinion decide which you buy. As long as Sony games don't sell bad everything is all right. My point also was that a possible PSP2 would sell well and it won't be killed by the 3DS (although it will sell a lot more).

My second point was about exclusives. KungKras said in his post that 3rd party games drive hardware for Sony and MS. Multiplatform games don't drive hardware. So it's very obvious here that I only meant exclusives here.

Anything still unclear now?

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

snfr said:

The only thing I talked about was quality, not sales. And I know it's subjective, I have actually claimed that several times on vgchartz. Objectively seen no first party is superior to the other ones (in quality), but in the end personal taste and opinion decide which you buy. As long as Sony games don't sell bad everything is all right. My point also was that a possible PSP2 would sell well and it won't be killed by the 3DS (although it will sell a lot more).

My second point was about exclusives. KungKras said in his post that 3rd party games drive hardware for Sony and MS. Multiplatform games don't drive hardware. So it's very obvious here that I only meant exclusives here.

1) Sony didn't establish itself in portable space well enough to support even a barely successful and primarily gaming platform in long-time perspective without help of 3rd parties. The strongest brand they have is Gran Turismo, and it seems to me that GT game on PSP2 won't help it that much, since GT did nothing for PSP sales last year. So it's even questionable if they're capable of carving a niche for PSP2 based solely on 1st party offerings (at least if PSP2 will share it's predecessor overall concept, they clearly need some new ideas and software).

2) He's right. The only 1st party game that has a shot at selling massive 10M on PS3 is GT5, was it released? I assume no. And GTA4, MW1 and MW2 with combined sales of over 20M, I guess, did nothing to drive PS3 sales?

snfr said:
mai said:

snfr said:

Anything still unclear now?

So multiplatform games don't drive hardware? Maybe you want to check out this links:

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40363&reg=America&date=39572&console=&maker=

(For the lazy ones. It is the week of GTA 4 release. PS 3 raised 79% and X 360 raised 62%)

mai said:

1) Sony didn't establish itself in portable space well enough to support even a barely successful and primarily gaming platform in long-time perspective without help of 3rd parties. The strongest brand they have is Gran Turismo, and it seems to me that GT game on PSP2 won't help it that much, since GT did nothing for PSP sales last year. So it's even questionable if they're capable of carving a niche for PSP2 based solely on 1st party offerings (at least if PSP2 will share it's predecessor overall concept, they clearly need some new ideas and software).

2) He's right. The only 1st party game that has a shot at selling massive 10M on PS3 is GT5, was it released? I assume no. And GTA4, MW1 and MW2 with combined sales of over 20M, I guess, did nothing to drive PS3 sales?

1. Well, has there ever been a non-Nintendo handheld that sold as much as the PSP? No, definitly not. So I think they've established themselves well, although it could be much better, I know.

2. My post wasn't really clear there, so I try to make it clear now. Yes, multiplatform games drive hardware, but not only one single platform, it drives all platform on which the game is released at the same time (as you see at GTA4 for example). Furthermore no one is buying a PS3 just for GTA4, they could also buy a much cheaper X360 instead, you know.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

Around the Network

Sony themselves has proved that you can't rip off Nintendo in 6 months and make something good, remember the Sixaxis

KungKras said:

A PSP2 going up against 3DS would be like the Dreamcast without Sega games (And nothing of importance to replace them) going up against the PS2 AFTER the PS2 has already released AND had Nintendo games. That is what they would be up against. When it comes to handhelds, Sony is screwed, now they have to pray that Nintendo doesn't do a similar move in the home console market.

Thats quite harsh but it does illistrate your point quite nicely. The 3DS does seem almost untouchable as a gaming platform. The funny thing is that I almost expect the next Nintendo home console to take the entire market by storm. Both Microsoft and Sony could easily be caught off balance as they try to extend the generation with their motion control accessories.

snfr said:
KungKras said:

A PSP2 going up against 3DS would be like the Dreamcast without Sega games (And nothing of importance to replace them) going up against the PS2 AFTER the PS2 has already released AND had Nintendo games. That is what they would be up against. When it comes to handhelds, Sony is screwed, now they have to pray that Nintendo doesn't do a similar move in the home console market.

Now that Nintendo has gotten the third parties back, they are unstoppable when facing companies like MS and Sony who almost only rely on third party games to drive hardware.

The only thing that could ever be able to combat this restored Nintendo would be a revitalized Sega (Or Capcom or some other strong true game company deciding to make a console) And, Sega is unfortunately in pretty bad shape.

Last bolded part: I lol'd.

sony also gets mainline FF. reason psp its getting agito.DS= remakes

I think Weezy is just asking a legitimate and interesting question: What will Sony do? I was thinking the same at E3.

Well, they could copy the 3D screen easily, and I think they will. Noone will care if it's a ripoff (apart from forum nerds like us). But I don't expect them to beat Nintendo to the market, because you can't launch a system without games, and 3DS game development has probably been on the way for a year or so. 

Sony could focus on the multimedia / movies aspect more than Nintendo will do. They are very well connected in the movie business, so they could offer the 3SP with a bigger screen and market it as the "real deal" for 3D movies on the go, whereas it might feel like an afterthought on the 3DS. 

About games... hmm, they'd probably make the 3SP more powerful than the 3DS, suffering from short battery life again. Other than that I don't think it will be very different from the DS/PSP situation. 

snfr said:

mai said:

1. Well, has there ever been a non-Nintendo handheld that sold as much as the PSP? No, definitly not. So I think they've established themselves well, although it could be much better, I know.

First, by 'established' I meant strong 1st party support of handheld that could make it relevant enough compared to Nintendo while not relying on 3rd party titles. For example, best-selling 1st party PSP game was Daxter with 3.5M in sales, for comparison Nintendo published 17 games with sales 3.5M and over on DS. PSP was heavily supported by 3rd parties in 2004-2006 (including successful GTA titles) while DS was ignored, even in latter years when DS took the lead PSP got a lot of scaled-down ports and sports titles. Without all these PSP would have been long dead.

//Second, just answering your question, Game Gear came as close to original Game Boy as possible. At the time it vanished into obscurity it held 20-25% of hardware market. History revisionists often ignore the fact how successful Game Gear was, I guess, 15 years later the same will happen to PSP.