By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Xbox 720 and Wii 2 will beat PS4 to market

Mummelmann said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Mummelmann said:

If so, Sony are more stupid that I thought. Here I was, thinking that perhaps this gen had taught them something.

They lost because their console was $600, not because it came out after Xbox 360.

They are both major factors.

You fail to understand that Sony doesn't care about 'sales wars' that we think of. Sure, they aim for good sales and market share - but PS3 is likely to sell more than the 360 at the end of the day (once new Xbox  is out) and that is what they are more interested in.

Sony have failed on profit this gen, that's the main failure. Whether it was deliberate for Blu-Ray penetration, and whether it may work out slightly in the long run, we'll have to wait and see (it's doubtful).

If Sony can release a system better than the Xbox a year later, with better features and profit can be made on it - then that's what counts.

Around the Network

As long as its launched with a reasonable price and good launch titles it should sell well regardless. Having said that, I think Sony will look at the x720 and wii2's features and make competitive software changes to the 'PS4' so they can compete directly

Mummelmann said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Mummelmann said:

If so, Sony are more stupid that I thought. Here I was, thinking that perhaps this gen had taught them something.

They lost because their console was $600, not because it came out after Xbox 360.

They are both major factors.

No, not really.  It would only affect it if it came out way later than the others.  If the Dreamcast is to be taken into consideration, then releasing it too early isn't such a good idea. 

In the case of the PS3, the main reason it didn't sell at first was because of the very high price.  Ever since it got to the 299$ price point, it started selling more and more. Outselling the 360 in most regiona.  So yeah, its price was the main factor there, not the late release date.

This is so stupid. This double generation console is really silly. Not that I think it's a bad idea in concept and one day removing the console iterations will be awesome, but in the mean time its just bad.

Ok so let's say by end of it's run Wii only sells 100mil. Yes I know it's on track to beat the PS2, but they are hyptheical numbers for an example. The PS3 at the end of the Wii's life sells roughly 50mil. Wii2 is launched. The PS3 is indeed ahead of the Wii2. However by the time the Wii2 ends it's run it's also made 100mil and the PS3 has made 100mil. Sounds great doesn't it. That the PS3 tied Wii2, but in perspective of costs, profits, developers hype and support. The Wii line would have had 200million over the same period of the PS3.

It's just going to work with Nintendo aiming for profitability on it's consoles. Anyways the other option is Sony is trying to just wait and copy the experience. To that I say this. PS1 and PS2 weren't ripping off experiences they were about making a target experience. This copy mentality has been hurting them. They should just revamp the PS3 as a PS4 and get it out sooner than later. Sell it for cheap too.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Sony doesnt know what they are doing since ps3 Pre Launch... they have great games but lack of intelligence... Move is a copy of wii and Ps3 came out late and without games for a year... ofc now has GREAT Games but they lost so many exclusives and market...

Sony really need to think their sstrategy for next gen... i love playstation but dude microsoft and nintendo are getting insane now... Kinect looks like it will be a huge sucess according to pre orders and no one beats MS in core games like Gow and Halo... they sell alot...

Lets hope Sony know what they are doing because it wont be good if they drop Ps brand...

Around the Network
Reach said:

Sony doesnt know what they are doing since ps3 Pre Launch... they have great games but lack of intelligence... Move is a copy of wii and Ps3 came out late and without games for a year... ofc now has GREAT Games but they lost so many exclusives and market...

Sony really need to think their sstrategy for next gen... i love playstation but dude microsoft and nintendo are getting insane now... Kinect looks like it will be a huge sucess according to pre orders and no one beats MS in core games like Gow and Halo... they sell alot...

Lets hope Sony know what they are doing because it wont be good if they drop Ps brand...

Ok, you know better than the thousands of highly qualified employees at Sony Corp.

PS Brand being dropped is a 1/1000000 shot.

Want to add something to my previous post.

When I first read the interview in this thread I knew that comments like "Sony just waits so that they can copy Nintendo and MS." will come up. Seriously guys, if you hate Sony then do it for your own and don't write BS like this. It's just annoying, so stop it. (Why can't this being considered trolling?! btw...)

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

snfr said:

Want to add something to my previous post.

When I first read the interview in this thread I knew that comments like "Sony just waits so that they can copy Nintendo and MS." will come up. Seriously guys, if you hate Sony then do it for your own and don't write BS like this. It's just annoying, so stop it. (Why can't this being considered trolling?! btw...)

Why?

Sony isn't keen on innovating, they'd rather let other people do that and then improve on their designs. 

They saw what Microsoft did with Live and made the PSN based off of that.  They looked at what people liked and didn't like to make it.

They saw how Nintendo captured a new marked with the Wii and made the Move.  They decided to make a Wii that the casual crowd could still enjoy but also provide games the core gamers have been screaming for.

As much as you don't like people saying it, Sony is good at taking a look at what others are doing and then trying to make it their own.

Lol great, so next generation the PS4 is going to have another bunch of crappy ports and Xbox fanboys will still be talking sales and ignoring that there consol launched first. I just thank god this is my last gen of gaming. I wouldn't be able to take another generation of pure ignorance.

If they launch with good software I don't see the problem.  People buy consoles to play games.

However Sony isn't known to have many mega-hit social phenomenon games which would dramatically lower penetration.  Uncharted 4 may not be sufficient to battle a 720 and N6 that would be on their second or almost third software cycle.