By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Its time to admit it. PS3 will NEVER overtake 360.

Fumanchu said:
Seece said:
Fumanchu said:
kowenicki said:

so do MS figures.

tbh I think that probably helped the Sony numbers... could have been worse.

What else is lumped in with the Sony Networked Products and Services Division?

VAIO laptops? Walkmans? Anyone have their profit/loss figures pre-merge?

Anyway, the playstation business as a whole is still in the black when crediting the PS1 profits.  The failed MS tablet project and mobile 'kin' handsets might make the EDD look bad this quarter.

Barely, even with PS1 profits it's in the XXX figures, one more 600 mill loss from sony and the entire playstation division will be in the red. Meaning in 15 years years they'd have made nothing .... essentially.

It certainly doesn't look good after achieving such dominance.  I wonder if this will have any affect on their business strategy with the PS4 - it may not be another high-tech device sold at a loss.

I don't know how they could get away with selling PS4 at a loss tbh. We've seen Microsoft try to mimic Nintendo's business plan of late, and they have tried hard to make a profit this gen, so far they're doing well. By the end of next fiscal year they'll be in the black for the Xbox 360.

From that chart I got these figures

Since 360 R&D (July 1st 2005) started to today = $1.650 in losses (Billions)

Since PS3 R&D (April 1st 2006) started to today = $5.000 in losses (Billions)

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
SMC said:

Well you can't say that Sony has essentially made nothing over 15 years. They've made one big mistake really (it's yet to be seen how extensive it is yet, if Blu-Ray somehow takes off for example - it wouldn't be considered as bad).Over the 15 years they have:

- Aqcuired many studios and dev teams

- Made one of the biggest brands in history

- Learnt a ton about the market

To some extent MS are the same, and Nintendo are sweet - enough.

If I was an investor I wouldn't be looking to the past 15 years, but what's in place for the next 15.

if you were an investor you would be looking at the next 15 months.

Well yea, but I was more saying that I'd be looking at the infastructure within Sony.

SMC said:
kowenicki said:
SMC said:

Well you can't say that Sony has essentially made nothing over 15 years. They've made one big mistake really (it's yet to be seen how extensive it is yet, if Blu-Ray somehow takes off for example - it wouldn't be considered as bad).Over the 15 years they have:

If I was an investor I wouldn't be looking to the past 15 years, but what's in place for the next 15.

Well yea, but I was more saying that I'd be looking at the infastructure within Sony.

An hypertrophied infrastructure, with enormous fixed costs.

kowenicki said:
tinybigman108 said:
AngelosL said:

I dont care about the sales as long as Sony keeps releasing quality titles

OMG somebody who gets it that we can't play sales but qualiy games.  and thats something sony will always have over microsoft since they themselves are shutting down studios or just outright letting them go.

those happy about sales of a piece of plastic are sad imo.

It is a discussion about financials... it isn't about being happy or sad about it.  if you dont like the conversation you have the option to leave it.  There is room for discussions like this and there are plenty of discussion then major on the games them selves.

If you are naive enough to think the financial aspect doesnt matter then fine.. but it does, this is a business first and foremost.

No, this thread is the same thread made in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and soon 2011.

We keep disscussing the same thing over and over again. We repeat the same shit so many times. The sad thing, these are the treads that get huge post in this site now. This thread has more comment than the NPD thread sadly.

The truth is,  no matter where MS or Sony stands at the end of this Gen, they both lost. Sony has lost more OBVIOUSLY, it's been a disaster for them.  But in the end, we take this stuff way too seriously.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Kynes said:
SMC said:
kowenicki said:
SMC said:

An hypertrophied infrastructure, with enormous fixed costs.

It be a lot more concerned with PlayStation variable costs. It's what's got them in this place afterall.

Around the Network

woohoo, so now we are happy about a console where is sold at least plus minus 150-200$ cheaper as another ant therfor sells better for a few weeks and we praise it as the reborn of christ??? come on guys, you can't be serious. are you?

psrock said:
kowenicki said:
tinybigman108 said:
AngelosL said:

OMG somebody who gets it that we can't play sales but qualiy games.  and thats something sony will always have over microsoft since they themselves are shutting down studios or just outright letting them go.

It is a discussion about financials... it isn't about being happy or sad about it.  if you dont like the conversation you have the option to leave it.  There is room for discussions like this and there are plenty of discussion then major on the games them selves.

If you are naive enough to think the financial aspect doesnt matter then fine.. but it does, this is a business first and foremost.

No, this thread is the same thread made in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and soon 2011.

We keep disscussing the same thing over and over again. We repeat the same shit so many times. The sad thing, these are the treads that get huge post in this site now. This thread has more comment than the NPD thread sadly.

The truth is,  no matter where MS or Sony stands at the end of this Gen, they both lost. Sony has lost more OBVIOUSLY, it's been a disaster for them.  But in the end, we take this stuff way too seriously.

Well, like I said above, Microsoft should come out profitable this gen (not overall obviously) but the 360 should be.

Seece said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
tinybigman108 said:
AngelosL said:

Well, like I said above, Microsoft should come out profitable this gen (not overall obviously) but the 360 should be.

So what?

what does it do for me or you?

Will that stop Sony from releasing the PS4?  I really can't wait for next Gen anyway, to see the xbox sporting a blu-ray drive.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
tinybigman108 said:
AngelosL said:

So what?

Will that stop Sony from releasing the PS4?  I really can't wait for next Gen anyway, to see the xbox sporting a blu-ray drive.

I was refering to your point about losing, if they come out with the 360 being profitable overall, they havn't lost IMO.

I don't really care for BR btw

Edit - and actually, I do care. I think Sony can get away with losing billions without questioning if there will be a PS4, I feel if Microsoft lost this gen like last gen (coming out with 4 bill losses) then they wouldn't be around next gen.

kowenicki said:
psrock said:
Seece said:
psrock said:
kowenicki said:
tinybigman108 said:
AngelosL said:

So what?

that 3rd sentence says it all

1st part , well it could... but I doubt it... (if the PS4 performs (financially) as the PS3 however and there will not be a PS5 - so you should care)

2nd part,  woo-hoo. I refer you to sentence 1 and 2.   lol

I don't really care. Sony stops, another company will step in. I am not attached to companies like that, I can move on.

Next Gen