By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - IGN: Racing games didn't sell well these days

Mario Kart isn't a racer, it's a party game.  GT isn't a racer, it's a simulator.  

Around the Network
jarrod said:

Mario Kart isn't a racer, it's a party game.  GT isn't a racer, it's a simulator.  

: )

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
CDiablo said:

Honestly I dont understand how games like GT sell so well. I understand how Mario Kart and Modnation sell cause they are accessable and easy to play. Games like GT are for car junkies who want a super real experience which to myself is just too difficult. Most people I know that own(or have owned, I only know one PS owner this gen compared to like 50 PS2 owners) GT games will attempt to play them and show them off cause they look good but they cant play for shit and never actually play. Its amazing that GT sells so well(though it is the definitive driving sim) cause I dont know a single gamer that wants to take the time to learn to drive a car at 120 miles an hour. All that is really needed is a GT and a Forza as far as sims go cause everything else is probably lesser and not worth the money.

A lot of people is able to drive, so it's one of the few cases where a large audience can enjoy a more realistic simulation. And with them you can do realistic things that in the real world would cost you more money to access a track or that would make you risk your and other people's lifes or even just money and your driving license if done on public roads. Add the possibility to drive cars you couldn't afford or get access to in real life, to tweak them if so you like, to be able to dare more without any real danger, without turtles and mushrooms popping up from nowhere, etc, I see enough reasons for their success.

Like someone said before being able to ride the walls and run into computer cars to go around turns isnt realistic.  If they made it too realistic then most people would realize how much they suck.  That is why most people probably play Forza with damage off.

What the hell with all the freaky Mario Karts?

Anyway, I love racing games. Its one of my favorite genres.

Mario Kart Wii is such a shame though. It just doesn't have the adictiveness that the DS version had.

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

sethnintendo said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
CDiablo said:

Honestly I dont understand how games like GT sell so well. I understand how Mario Kart and Modnation sell cause they are accessable and easy to play. Games like GT are for car junkies who want a super real experience which to myself is just too difficult. Most people I know that own(or have owned, I only know one PS owner this gen compared to like 50 PS2 owners) GT games will attempt to play them and show them off cause they look good but they cant play for shit and never actually play. Its amazing that GT sells so well(though it is the definitive driving sim) cause I dont know a single gamer that wants to take the time to learn to drive a car at 120 miles an hour. All that is really needed is a GT and a Forza as far as sims go cause everything else is probably lesser and not worth the money.

A lot of people is able to drive, so it's one of the few cases where a large audience can enjoy a more realistic simulation. And with them you can do realistic things that in the real world would cost you more money to access a track or that would make you risk your and other people's lifes or even just money and your driving license if done on public roads. Add the possibility to drive cars you couldn't afford or get access to in real life, to tweak them if so you like, to be able to dare more without any real danger, without turtles and mushrooms popping up from nowhere, etc, I see enough reasons for their success.

Like someone said before being able to ride the walls and run into computer cars to go around turns isnt realistic.  If they made it too realistic then most people would realize how much they suck.  That is why most people probably play Forza with damage off.

Well, the best "simulation" racers offer damage model switchable off or adjustable right for this reason, then, when people trained enough and looks for a harder challenge, they are able to turn it on or switch it to max realism. OTOH, simplified simulation, but not purely "arcade", racers don't allow it. I liked TOCA, my first racer on PC, but I wouldn't come back to it now. OTOH purely arcade racers like Mario Kart develop to their best their arcade nature, their purpose to just offer fun, not a realistic simulation, so, just like a well done simulation, focused on its completely different purpose, does in its subgenre, they enjoy a higher than average replay value.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

What Mario Kart did successfully was to create an arcade racers with a  multiplayer "rubberband" effect. That is, a superfical method of keeping the race closer between players of different driving skills. Arcade racers relies more on "rubberband" AI more than sims. With sims racing the players will be more spread out on the track relative to their driving skills. So having 16 players multiplayer is more important for a sim like GT5 while an arcade racers like MK,  4 players are plenty. 4 players on GT5 would only be interesting if all the players was equal in skill.