By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WW UP! 360 reigns supreme!!

definitely a good jump in 360 sales in the US. Expected a little bit more but then again its not WW release. Can't wait to find out the full extent WW

Around the Network

Impressive XB360 sales in America, I didn't expect a boost so big during Summer...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Reasonable said:

Big 360 jump in US but the SW didn't see nearly as big a jump I note, implying a lot of trade in's vs new customers or people buying the old model quick but not investing in SW yet.

I reckon it's going to take 3 to 4 weeks to really see US stabilize, then we'll have to see how EMEEA responds.

Well since software is less accurate than hardware and hardware is far from perfect from a Vgchartz perspective, especially where the rules change, i.e. shortages or price cuts or both as we have here its hard to draw any valid conclusions at all.

Looking at the software trends overall this week: () is negative.

• Wii (12%)
  • Xbox 360 (18%)
  • PS3 (13%)

Obviously the Xbox 360 is down following the overall trends of software according to this site. Do we have that kind of accuracy here to say that what we see is a fair representation of what is happening? I remember back when the PS3 slim was launched that it took a while for software to appear to catch up to rising hardware sales. But that doesn't mean that software sales didn't rise and Vgchartz could have simply missed it.

Even if what you say is 100% the case, that everyone who walked into the store and bought an Xbox 360 S last week was already an owner of the Xbox 360, having a lot of owners of one particular console go into gaming stores to buy consoles ought to also result in increased sales of software at the same time. It doesn't follow logic that a crowd of say ~100,000 extra Xbox 360 owners walked into the store without also buying some games alongside their new console or even if they walked out without a console due to shortages that they didn't first swing by the games aisle, especially as these people are likely to be the most prolific game buyers.

As an aside I do wonder what the significance of the Xbox 360 Arcade, games on demand services both have on physical store bought goods. People can buy games without actually leaving the home and these sales have grown significantly faster than the retail goods side of things. Since highspeed internet take up and enthusiast gamers as segments of different markets tend to overlap it could also be a significant and growing proportion of retail game buyers are switching to direct download. I have noticed that the high selling games on Games on Demand have tended to be games which might be played for a few minutes at a time or open world style games. This isn't important in a wider sense, but it does make a lot of sense when talking about a small fraction next to the small fraction difference between PS3 and Xbox 360 game sales.

Tease.

I think everyone's PS3 passing 360 by early 2011 predictions will need to be adujusted, this holiday will be the biggest yet. New Halo New Xbox = Happy MS. 

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
chenguo4 said:

Redesign's doing well.

Anyone think there'll be a second wave of slims? It seems to me both the ps3 and the 360 slim versions aren't that slim at all. With an HDD I doubt we'd get to PS2 slim status, but surely when the next generation hits, a last revision could push sales one final time.

Wii slim?  lol!

Actually, they probably could make Wi slimmer if they dropped the GC controller/memory ports (which would also mean dropping backwards compatibility).  Maybe they could throw in DVD playback, a much bigger flash drive (2GB or more), integrate Motion Plus into the base Wiimote design...

Around the Network

Not that impressive.

zero129 said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:

RROD strikes again in a near future !!!

Reported for trolling as you're reply clarly was...

And also great sales for the 360 so far, next few weeks should be even bigger once it gets released to the rest of the world, and once hardware restraints go away.

I just have to lol at the sony fans saying "it wont last" , "sales should go back to normal within a few weeks"

i think ye guys now have alot to fear as now ye are starting to sound like the MS fans when the PS3 slim launched...

But, the fact is, it won't last.  Not as long as the PS3 Slim effect, anyway.  It's biggest boost is going to be these next 2-3 weeks.  I mean this is just a redesign, not a redesign $100 cut for it's lowest model.  A model that many felt was too expensive at $400.  In these next few weeks you'll have those looking to upgrade (this happened with the PS3 Slim as well), plus, and probably more importantly, the sales of the $150 Arcade and $250 Elite.  And since MS is phasing out those models, the supply for those isn't going to last.

Just for comparisons sake, when the PS3 Slim launch in America, one of its WEAKEST territories, it pushed sales to just over 164K for that week.  The 360 Slim just launched, plus had a $50 price-cut to all other models, in America, its STRONGEST territory, and sold just over 129K.  My only question is: What is MS going to do when Sony lowers the price of the PS3 to $250?  What about $200?  Not very much is all I can say.

And I know that sounds overly pessimistic if you own and prefer the 360, and you're probably right.  But, that's just how I see the future through my Sony goggles.    Either way, congrats on sales.  Enjoy them while you can.  MUAH HA HA HA HA ha...Ok, that was a little over the top. 

Heavenly_King said:

The old units now cost less, so no surprise with the sales.   In the upcoming weeks the sales should be around the same as before.

Actually I expect them to go up over the next week or 2 until demand is met and the old stock is finally out.  Then it will stabilize somewhere, but still higher than the sales pre-Slim.

It would have looked better in glossy white.

AceRock owns one PS3, one PS Vita, and one PS4.

I thnk people are also forgetting that the new 360's were only available for about 2 or 3 days of that week.  Walmarts didn't even have them in stores at all that week, at least none around me.  I had to go to either Best Buy or GameStop to find them and after I got mine they were sold out the rest of the time.

Next week sales numbers should increase again, and maybe again the week after.  Then they will probably stabilize around 80-90k for Americas.  Can't wait till the Europe launch of the 360S and see the affect of WW sales numbers!  360 could be #1 WW for a while after that!