By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Laptop Suggestions based on these requirements! HELP!

NYANKS said:

Wow, the T500 looks like a solid choice, thanks alot!  The only cons according to the following review seem to be the audio and the keyboard.  I dunno if you know from experience, but can you speak on those two points?  I'll keep shopping around but I'll definitely keep this in mind, thanks bud.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=4565

I have the T510 not the T500 but can say the build quality is top notch. The sound is OK not groundbreaking but certainly not bad. The keyboard is a joy as are all Thinkpads tbh. I am a big fan of the Red nipple (I am sure a lot of us are) that the Thinkpads use but you can turn this off if you are not. The screen is also matt and not gloss (Major pain in the arse glossy screens).

The T400/500's are end of life which may be why you can find bargains but I would still recommend a T410 or T510 over the older models. The i5 and i7 cpus and just the tweaks over the 400/500 series make it worth it. The T510 has a draft N Wi Fi (Works very well) plus built in SIM slot for mobile broadband. I use this all the time and finally managed to ditch my Web and Walk Tmobile stick.

The only downside for some and not for me is the weight this is a big laptop that falls more into the desktop replacement end of the market. If weight is the problem then go for the T410 it is the same laptop although smaller.

In my opinion this laptop deserved all the review praise it received.

My experience of the XPS 16 models is they are an order of magnitude lower in build quality. They are approx £250 cheaper than a similar specified T510 so if it was all about money then it is a safe pair of hands.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
Around the Network

Similar to the Dell, and the PC that I shall be ordering soon

Sony F12 for $1650

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921666180154

• Intel® Core™ i7-840QM processor (1.86GHz) with Turbo Boost up to 3.20GHz
  • Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • Black
  • 320GB Hard Disk Drive (5400rpm)
  • 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3-SDRAM-1333
  • CD/DVD player/burner
  • 16.4" VAIO Full HD Premium Display (1920x1080) (Reg. price $100.00)
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® 330M GPU (1GB VRAM)

If you have got some spare cash, you could also upgrade the HDD or get a blu-ray player

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

Now in terms of Lenovo, as a whole, their non Thinkpad models, and specifically the notebooks (mini laptops), are complained about frequently, which is why i reccomended the T Series or higher.

And i have also heard Toshibas have gone to shit since they're not made in Japan anymore.

Still this survey is an interesting indicator of what you could be expecting.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.