By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Wimbledon: longest game ever, not over yet.

Isner finally beat Mahut 70-68 in fifth set.

The final set alone lasted eight hours and 11 minutes.

Around the Network

Amazing and quite beastly.

From Wikipedia:

Scoreboard failure

On the second day of play, the courtside scoreboard stood still at 47–47 and later went dark. IBM programmers said it was only programmed to go to 47–47 but would be fixed by the next day.[13] The on-line scoreboard at the official website lasted slightly longer: At 50–50 it was reset to 0–0. Users were asked to "please add 50 to the Isner/Mahut game score".[14] An IBM programmer worked on the computerized scoring system until 11:45 pm to accommodate the match's scores for the next day, although it would have again malfunctioned had the match gone beyond 25 more games.[15]

Both Isner and Mahut put up an epic display of sport prowess that won't be equaled in decades to come.

They should be handled special trophies for their feat alone  

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Damn, how could I miss that match? :(

That was amazing.  Simple amazing.

Both of those men deserve more credit than can ever be given to them.  Playing for 11 hours 5 minutes is one thing, but doing it at that level for 3 days is incredible.  The mental aspect by far tops the physical aspect, Mahut especially.  He played that entire set down by 1 game.  On all of his serves (past 4/5) he was serving to stay alive.  Completely amazing fortitude.  

My hats off to you gentlemen.

Around the Network
Myak-04 said:
De85 said:

Absolutely crazy.  What's really sad though is that whoever wins this round is almost certain to be eliminated next round just by virtue of being so damn tired...

That is often the case. Though them making history is much better than winning a prize :D . 

True, both have certainly won tons of new fans because of this...

Damn I  should have watched it ! I hope they do a espn replay or something.

Congrats to Isner! I'm happy he won, but I feel terrible for Mahut. He put up one hell of a fight and the whole time he was serving he was down. Incredible. I'm glad they had a special little ceremony for the two of them.

The longest I've ever played a match was around 4.5 hours or so and I can't believe they went to 7 in one day. Truly remarkable.

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

They both deserved to win. They should get some kind of special trophy or something.

Agreed. At least they got a special gift and ceremony.

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong