By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Krugman: Spend Now, Save Later

What exactly is the Fed supposed to do, when it has interest rates set to near zero?  Is it going to run ads that tell people to not save and to borrow more, because it is their patriotic duty?  I think it is time for people to decouple their futures from what the Fed does.  Also, maybe the Federal government can stop lying about what inflation is.  If the government can't figure out what is going on, maybe it can start by not lying to themselves.

If real deflation comes, despite them doing all this, maybe it is a sign that things are systemically broken with the economy.  I am sorry government, but I am not working now.  I can't spend to drive the economy when I have no income.  Maybe you can get me something called... a job?

Around the Network

The Collapse of the World Economy is imminent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_atOvrTtT8&NR=1

The seeds of a collapse were sown when the gold standard was abandoned. Gold has to return as security of currency. Fractional reserve banking does not work, you cant spend what does not exist, gold cannot be created by pressing a few keys on a computer but money can. The Fed cannot go on spending and racking up debt forever, the next collapse will be the last nail in the coffin, will you be ready?

richardhutnik said:

What exactly is the Fed supposed to do, when it has interest rates set to near zero?  Is it going to run ads that tell people to not save and to borrow more, because it is their patriotic duty?  I think it is time for people to decouple their futures from what the Fed does.  Also, maybe the Federal government can stop lying about what inflation is.  If the government can't figure out what is going on, maybe it can start by not lying to themselves.

If real deflation comes, despite them doing all this, maybe it is a sign that things are systemically broken with the economy.  I am sorry government, but I am not working now.  I can't spend to drive the economy when I have no income.  Maybe you can get me something called... a job?

How are you going to get a job, if consumers don't demand anything? If consumers don't demand, then producers don't supply.

Like I say fucking every single time and get ignored:

Firms won't demand Factor for Proudction (you, labor), if no goods and services (GDP) are being demanded. If consumers won't demand anything, who will?

Akvod said:
richardhutnik said:

How are you going to get a job, if consumers don't demand anything? If consumers don't demand, then producers don't supply.

Firms won't demand Factor for Proudction (you, labor), if no goods and services (GDP) are being demanded. If consumers won't demand anything, who will?

What is the byproduct of the economy going global and businesses increasingly relying on foreign labor in the likes of China, India and Eastern Europe?  The end result will be an averaging of total costs across the entire system, which means the pressures downward on prices will happen, and the nature pressures are deflationary.  Tell me how you get around this outside of tariffs?

There is the need for the goods and services people can help produce to be genuinely needed in the system, or you won't get them accepted.  Maybe you can get things propped up with faux demand by the government, but that still won't be sustainable.  Factor in increases in efficiencies and productivity demands and you have X units of labor producing more, so there is less need for more labor.  Actually LESS labor is needed, which increases the spiral of labor being let go.  The past 20 years has produced a trendy mindset of increasing profits by laying people off.

Akvod said:
richardhutnik said:

He could always create demand for something by starting a business. How else do you think that most of the products even get to us?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Akvod said:
richardhutnik said:

He could always create demand for something by starting a business. How else do you think that most of the products even get to us?

Errr creating a firm would constitute an increase in supply. While there will be technically an increase in AD due to business spending that person will have to be even more alturistic than a government may be, to create a business when nobody will buy his goods.

Creating inventory when nobody will buy it is stupid. The current situation is that businesses are NOT investing, because there's no reason to increase inventory and production capability. NOBODY'S BUYING.

Edit: Bah, I need to retake history classes

richardhutnik said:
Akvod said:
richardhutnik said:

What is the byproduct of the economy going global and businesses increasingly relying on foreign labor in the likes of China, India and Eastern Europe?  The end result will be an averaging of total costs across the entire system, which means the pressures downward on prices will happen, and the nature pressures are deflationary.  Tell me how you get around this outside of tariffs?

There is the need for the goods and services people can help produce to be genuinely needed in the system, or you won't get them accepted.  Maybe you can get things propped up with faux demand by the government, but that still won't be sustainable.  Factor in increases in efficiencies and productivity demands and you have X units of labor producing more, so there is less need for more labor.  Actually LESS labor is needed, which increases the spiral of labor being let go.  The past 20 years has produced a trendy mindset of increasing profits by laying people off.

See, the thing is, with the reduction of required labor for goods, it can and does result in a deflation of prices, since more goods can be produced for less money. For example, it takes less people to produce an XBLA game than a AAA title, therefore, the price is lower.

What should happen in such a scenario is that excess money should result, allowing for it to be invested in other good and service types that were not initially purchased. For example, the average spending habits of an American 100 years ago was radically different than it is today - more entertainment goods such as music, games and movies are being purchased now as opposed to then. Much of this is due to consumers having much cheaper prices for food as a result in agrucultural gains throughout the 20th century.

So the answer, really, is innovation: What technoligies can be leveraged to create new jobs for people to do. What kind of software can be developed that will require new engineers, ect. For example, in my case, I created a product that has demand that had no one filling the need, therefore its a new innovation causing new consumer spending. The problem with the US is that capital, as well as business regulations, may stiffle such productivity causing fewer jobs than there should be.

mrstickball said:
richardhutnik said:
Akvod said:
richardhutnik said:

See, the thing is, with the reduction of required labor for goods, it can and does result in a deflation of prices, since more goods can be produced for less money. For example, it takes less people to produce an XBLA game than a AAA title, therefore, the price is lower.

What should happen in such a scenario is that excess money should result, allowing for it to be invested in other good and service types that were not initially purchased. For example, the average spending habits of an American 100 years ago was radically different than it is today - more entertainment goods such as music, games and movies are being purchased now as opposed to then. Much of this is due to consumers having much cheaper prices for food as a result in agrucultural gains throughout the 20th century.

So the answer, really, is innovation: What technoligies can be leveraged to create new jobs for people to do. What kind of software can be developed that will require new engineers, ect. For example, in my case, I created a product that has demand that had no one filling the need, therefore its a new innovation causing new consumer spending. The problem with the US is that capital, as well as business regulations, may stiffle such productivity causing fewer jobs than there should be.

So are you saying that this recession was caused due to boredom? What has SIGNIFICANTLY changed before the housing bubble burst and credit crisis?

Nothing.

Perhaps people are simply feeling that they have a low permanent income, and that their wealth decreased due to the housing bubble burst and stock crash? And are spending less?

You're fucking claiming, that the reason why there's such low demand is simply because there's nothing people want. Bull shit. Fucking BULLSHIT. Boredom did not cause one of the biggest recessions. We've had so much innovation these past few years, technology has been increasing at an expotential rate. FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Akvod said:
mrstickball said:
richardhutnik said:
Akvod said:
richardhutnik said:

So are you saying that this recession was caused due to boredom? What has SIGNIFICANTLY changed before the housing bubble burst and credit crisis?

Nothing.

Perhaps people are simply feeling that they have a low permanent income, and that their wealth decreased due to the housing bubble burst and stock crash? And are spending less?

You're fucking claiming, that the reason why there's such low demand is simply because there's nothing people want. Bull shit. Fucking BULLSHIT. Boredom did not cause one of the biggest recessions. We've had so much innovation these past few years, technology has been increasing at an expotential rate. FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Way to really take what I say and warp it into your own way. Your very mature when you start cursing like a sailor, exclaiming I'm saying things when I am not.

My argument about production is that in some cases, new technology will antiquate certain business practices, and its up to entrepreneours to create new jobs and businesses to create new jobs for people. We're not quite having that due to the incredible amount of red tape in America that is preventing a recovery as fast or as wide as we'd want it.

Having said this, I was merely talking about production and consumption in general, not about the recession. Way to go (yet again) putting words in my mouth, and flying off the handle.

If your wanting to ask why I believe the recession happened, I take after the stance of Peter Schiff. I'd suggest reading up on him (if you haven't) as to why the recession happened.