By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible For GT5 To OutSell Halo Reach Lifetime?...I Think So!

Michael-5 said:
Hus said:

No need to write an essey, it comes down to this. 

GT5 will do it easily.

For Reach to win it would have to be the best selling Halo EVER and GT5 be the worst selling GT EVER.   That is a bit much to hope for, odds are well agianst that happening. 

Missed you. Actually Halo 3 outsold every GT game ever except GT3, and Halo games sales have been increasing over time. Halo is getting more and more popular, and I can easily see Halo Reach outselling GT3. This new Halo is being sold when X-Box has had the largest instal base, and popularity. It will be the best selling Halo, there is no doubt in my mind about that.

As for GT5 having to be the worst selling GT game, except for GT3, no GT game has ever sold more then 11 million units. Just by beating Halo 3, Halo Reach will have outsold every GT game except 1 title, which came out 10 years ago! Before Forza even existed.

HALO is not getting more and more popular now,it has stablised

install base doesn't matter much.some more days on the site and slaes tracking and you will learn that easily

GT3 launched on small userbase too but it has more sales than HALO 3.

YOU say only one GT game has sold more than 11m,i say just one HALO game has sold more than 9m.....................lmao

your arguments has so many weak points

and your BIG GIANT post didn't make any point either,waste of energy

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

I posted this behemoth of a message on Saturday, and it’s on page 5, but no one seemed to have directly responded to it. Hyruken you seem to be a very intelligent person, extending my attach rate argument regionally, but resulting in similar figures to mine.

Gran Turismo 5 will not sell as well as prior Gran Turismo titles in the franchise, and since Halo 3 has already outsold every Gran Turismo except for GT3, with Reach excepted to do just as well if not better, it is very unlikely that GT5 will outsell Halo.

However to be reasonable, Gran Turismo will most likely become the second best selling exclusive franchise this generation (on HD consoles). I believe Gears of War is second with just over 6 million for the first, and something like 5.7 million for the second. I defiantly see Gran Turismo out selling that franchise (individually), it just won’t cross Halo’s 11 million plateaus.

Now my last comment was made on Saturday night, and already the thread has doubled in length, so I am going to respond to every reasonable comment since.

Why? Like I said before (and Hyruken picked up), some of you guys are really arrogant with this discussion, and are ignoring the facts.

To Hyruken:

You extended my argument regionally, and I must congratulate you, a very educated and thought out response.

Actually all your responses are excellent, and I agree 100%. Especially about your comment about how many people here assume GT5 will outsell the next top 3 best selling exclusives combined. It is a shockingly poor assessment people are making…

To Ping ii/pezus: (Regarding the MGS counter-example)

Your response to this user base argument fails to consider the type of gamers purchasing these games. Metal Gear Solid, and God of War have sold only about a million less copies then their PS1 and PS2 counterparts, but considering the huge difference in install base that is an acceptable argument. However unlike those franchises, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy, Call of Duty, Super Mario, Mario Kart, and yes even Gran Turismo sales are heavily influenced by install base.

This is because they appeal to everyone. I am talking about casual gamers. It’s hard to own a Wii and not buy Mario Kart, or an X-Box and not own Halo. If you’re a typical gamer who plays occasionally, you will at least know that your Nintendo is well know for Mario games, and you are likely going to pick it up.

For whatever console you have, be it a Wii, 360 or PS3, most gamers will be aware of the flagship franchise, and debate purchasing it. You will not necessarily be aware of the super highly rated, but far less hyped titles. So for just as much reason as install base is relevant for Halo games, Gran Turismo sales rate is heavily dependant on PS3’s install base.

God of War and Metal Gear Solid are not nearly as hyped, and a part of media as Gran Turismo, Halo, and Mario are, and are not a valid counter example for the install base argument, simple as that.

Also P.S. Metal Gear Solid 4 is the highest rated MGS game, and it only sold better then the most poorly rated console MGS game. It still undersold MGS1 and 2 by nearly half! So install base was still extremely important, even if GT5 fell under the same bracket as MGS, you should still only expect sales of 6-7 million units, and that is assuming it gets a near perfect review, significantly higher then previous titles.

To Ping ii (Regarding GT5 versus Forza 3 sales)

Compare Forza Motorsport 3 sales to Gran Turismo sales. On a weekly basis (at least for the first 20 weeks I checked), Forza 3 was outselling Gran Turismo 3! These super realistic racing simulators mainly appeal to casual gamers, so it takes time for their sales volume to accumulate. So you never know, Forza Motorsport 3 could still outsell Gran Turismo 5, or at least break 7 million sales. It’s already at 2.7 million sales, with a higher sales rate then Forza Motorsport 2 at the same time after launch (and Forza 2 sold 4 million units). It’s also continuously selling 35,000-60,000 units and making the top 30 in terms of game sales.

So :P

To chuckyj1: (Regarding GT5 Pre-orders)

Gran Turismo 5 has about 75,000 America’s Preorders and changing at a rate of about 1,000 a week currently. You assumed pre-orders would remain at this constant rate, but that’s inacceptable. You have to realize that as the release date draws near, the pre-order rate increases exponentially, not linearly. Halo 3 had 2.75 million pre-orders, and I believe Reach will cross 3 million pre-orders in USA/Canada, not just 1 million pre-orders. Under the same token I can see Gran Turismo having 500,000 USA/Canadian pre-orders, and possible 1M worldwide.

To Ping ii (Regarding the harsh Gran Turismo total sales)

Of course Gran Turismo total sales are greater then Halo total worldwide sales. Gran Turismo has been around for 5 years longer, and sold on consoles whose combined install base is 240 million (excuding PS3 and Prologue for now). That’s 4 times as large as the Xbox and 360 install base of 64 million, and Halo sales are only half the total Gran Turismo sales.

Halo is selling almost 3 times as well as Gran Turismo (27-35% attach rate versus 10%). You sir, as you said it yourself “clearly don’t know jack shit you should stop commenting seriously”

To boilmaker11: (Regarding GT3 selling on PS2 prior to PS2 having a 136 million install base)

Valid argument, actually THE BEST argument I have heard contradicting GT5 selling less then Hyruken and I predicted. It is true that GT3 came out in 2001, and sold most of it’s 15 million units within 4 years before GT4, great observation.

However the Gran Turismo franchise is a type of game that initially doesn’t sell that well, but sales are continuous and accumulate. By 2005 the PS2 still had roughly 100 million units on the market, which gives a 15% attach rate. Using that attach rate (and predicted PS3 total sales in 3 years), we see that Gran Turismo 5’s total worldwide sales will come very close to 10 million (I calculate 9.75 million with this argument). You must also extend this argument to Halo 3 to be fair, which sold 8.1 million copes when there were only 17.7 million X-Box 360’s (end of 2007). That’s a 45.7% attach rate, so should I expect to see Halo: Reach selling 20.6 million units too?

I compared Gran Turismo sales over a 4 year period of time because throughout those 4 years the games sales accumulated. GT3 did not sell over 5 million units it’s first year when 30 million PS2’s were around and the attach rate is still the same.

However according to you, Halo Reach will sell 20.6 million units by January 2011. Wow, amazing! Comparing Halo 3 exactly to Halo Reach, this means that an additional 8 million units will be sold over time. THAT’S 29 million units for Halo Reach compared to 10 million for Gran Turismo 5….

Good counter-example, but it works against you.

To pezus: (Regarding GT4 selling less then GT3)

Good observation, and that is a counter-example for the install base argument, however you have to realize GT4 came out in 2005. The same year the X-Box 360 was released, and just a year before the PS3 was released. GT4 had much less time to accumulate sales, and Gran Turismo is a franchise which needs time to accumulate sales. 4 years versus about 2 for GT3 versus GT4…

To ultraslick: (Regarding your opinion)

You have absolutely no evidence to back up your claim. This is just your opinion.

If you follow my arguments, Halo is actually a larger franchise, not the minority…so your just wrong buddy.

To iWarMachine: (Regarding regional sales)

Actually Gran Turismo sales will most likely be mostly focuses on Europe and Others. Forza 3 is selling 30% more copies in Europe despite Europe having 30% less 360’s.

As for Halo having strong sales in primarily the Americas, more then 50% of 360’s are sold in Americas, and as a console (not handheld) market, the Americas is almost exactly as large as everywhere else in the world combined. So Halo will still do well. :P

To: Squillium (Regarding your response to my comment)

I am comparing the sales rates of Halo versus Gran Turismo using install bases. If I compared how many apples versus oranges were sold at a supermarket by knowing how many people liked apples versus oranges, this would be the same thing. However I don’t care about damn apples, Joking…

No seriously, you’re arguing that once you have a racing game, that you will not need another one. Yet you need another Halo because of a “new story, new location, and people want to get involved and playing with their friends from day one.”

I am a HUGE racing game fan, I have Gran Turismo 1-4, and 5 Prologue. I have Forza 1-3, Project Gotham Racing 1-4, Every Mario Kart except for Wii (because I don’t own a Wii), and a few more racing games. Racing games quickly become outdated. Not only do new cars become released, new tracks get created (many GT and Forza tracks are artificial, and do not actually exist), but graphics improve over time, AI improve over time, and competitors will create new features in their games which you may want to implement. Not to mention, once you beat the main career mode, you will be craving more! If your logic held, I would still be playing PGR3, and Forza 2, but I beat those games, and new versions have more EVERYTHING! Now you can add new cars to the game via dlc, but do you really think polymorph, or any other developer will release 500 additional cars for $20? Turn 10 is charging 400 MP, or $5, for 10 cars! The game came with over 400. GT4 added over 400 cars to the game, new tracks, improved AI and cars, as well as an assortment of new goodies.

Sorry racing games, just like FPS get outdated.

However you also bring into the argument that Polymorph will likely not develop a GT6 for the PS3, so GT5 sales will not be derailed. There are two potential flaws to this argument, one of which at least is bound to be true.

1.Polymorph has spent 50 times more money on GT5 then it did on the original GT, mainly because they rebuilt the GT engine to accommodate for damage, improved AI, and HD gaming. Do you not think that with this much time developing the base game, that Sony will not try to gain more profits by releasing GT6 on the PS3? I think they will.

2.The PS3 was released in 2006, while the 360 was released in 2005. Prior to this generation, a typical console had a lifespan of 6 years. By typical I mean the big consoles, Nintendo’s PS1, PS2, Genesis, etc. Most consoles had a far shorter lifespan. Now it is true this generation will last longer then prior generations due to the initial cost of development for the PS3 and 360. However how long do you think that will be? 8 years, maybe 10? Okay well from the 360 release that means at least one of the next gen consoles will release by 2013-2015. that means GT5 still only has 3-5 years to accumulate sales, which is the same as GT1 and 3. So GT5 sales will not gain much of an advantage if GT6 comes out for PS4 instead of PS3.

Thanks for replying to my comment, your the only one. Sad how people ignore the big giant comment which explains everything.

STICK THIS IN YOUR PIPES AND SMOKE IT FANBOYS! THIS IS LOGIC, NOT OPINION!

:P

Wow what a long comment… however I just proved a point, and it is something everyone can go home and accept. Just try and debate this, I dare you. You’re going to lose.

However for those who read it, I must say that boilmaker11, hyruken, and Squillium are the only other people in this thread who have really made a valid argument. Just want to say, good comments to all of you, especially boilmaker11, and hyruken.

Now I’m tired, I’ll respond Tuesday to all this, im a busy man and….I really shouldn’t make comments. They waste so much of my time. I know I’m right, I don’t need to prove it to the 40 people at best who read this.

Why people here are trying to prove the better sales of games that aren't even out is beyond understanding.

I understand the fun of guess work.  But the extent that some of you are ready to go to in order to try to make a semblance of valid points is pure comedy.  :D

Recon1O1 said:

No.  The userbase is smaller,  Others would be GT5s best market and it is not coming out of the recession  as quickly. Racing sims aren't as big as they were back in the GT3 days if other franchises are an indicator.  The dropoff in sales for GT4 may be related to the PS3 launch somehow or it might have been the start of a trend.  

I think my 10.5m guess for GT5 LT will prove optimistic while 12.5 for Reach is conservative.  Why would it sell less than H3 again?  I don't follow the logic.  There will be roughly 17 million more potential buyers for what could be Bungie's last hurrah.   

PS3 fans are quick to quote previous sales to back up their guesswork but for a Halo title sales mean just the opposite.   If you honestly think ODST or HWars have burned out the franchise or it's fans you are in for a surprise. 

the 17m more potential buyers don't want HALO as they would have bought it the first time.

HALO's hardcore base is around 5-6m,other just hoped because of the hype and COOLNESS and slowly it reached 10m with HALO REACH

a little more time and sales following and you will learn that userbase doesn't always matter

why did most SAN ANDREAS not bought by 100m users PS2 has at its release time because all people don't buy the game

ODST and HALO wars didn't buned out the franchise but it didn't do any good too.

also HALO 3 didn't have much competition near its release and the fact that it was the first HALO this GENERATION increased the hype surrounding it

GT has always been a bigger franchise and it will prove this time too

why do you think GT3 with a much smaller fanbase still did so well

Hynad said:

Why people here are trying to prove the better sales of games that aren't even out is beyond understanding.

I understand the fun of guess work.  But the extent that some of you are ready to go to in order to try to make a semblance of valid points is pure comedy.  :D

cause this is a sales site and predictions happen alot

just because its a future game,predictions should happen

don't talk like the person who says "whats the reason to do anything,just sit and wait and whenever the game comes just enjoy it"

i'l never understand, but GT will outsell. mostly due to non NA sales though.

since NA is where real life is im thinking halo will sell 8mil and GT5 about 5 mil.

also, forza>GT

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Hynad said:

don't talk like the person who says "whats the reason to do anything,just sit and wait and whenever the game comes just enjoy it"

I'm not saying people shouldn't guess the sales of those games.  As I said, guess work can be fun.

My comments were mostly targeted at Micheal-5. Who's basically saying he's right and we should just shut up and "smoke it" as he said.  But what he did was nothing but guess work, like anyone here.  No more right than everyone else here, since the games he's trying to analyse the sales of haven't been released yet.

His attitude is basically not opened to discussion at all.  His stance was clearly mentioned: "My guess is right, yours is the one of fanboys", while the proof of the matter has yet to be unveiled since, again, the games are not out yet.

usrevenge said:

i'l never understand, but GT will outsell. mostly due to non NA sales though.

since NA is where real life is im thinking halo will sell 8mil and GT5 about 5 mil.

also, forza>GT

GRAN TURISMO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>forza

Hynad said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Hynad said:

I'm not saying people shouldn't guess the sales of those games.  As I said, guess work can be fun.

My comments were mostly targeted at Micheal-5. Who's basically saying he's right and we should just shut up and "smoke it" as he said.  But what he did was nothing but guess work, like anyone here.  No more right than anyone else here, since the games he's trying to analyse the sales of haven't been released yet.

alrite i agree on that

So not to ruin the thread by quoting a massive long post i thought i would put a new one to respond to this time thing.

Right there is one critical flaw thing about this whole GT3 selling loads with a far smaller install base etc..Some seemed to have ignored it while on their little crusades.

When GT3 came out the PS2 wasen't even released outside Japan.....GT3 was a launch title for most territories. Your comparing sales for one region, obviously the attach ratio will look better by doing that!

If you want a better indicator of this time thing then look at the first year on sales after it's release. In that Year PS2's total install base was 28m units....Only 7m short of what PS3 has sold in 4 years on sale.

So the point that some are making is GT5 can sell like GT3 if the pattern on the PS2 repeats itself. In that the console is sold at the same rate as the PS2 was.

Again not going to happen.

Sweet more ppl added to the crow eating list, keep going plz I want to serve as much crow as I can.=)