By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will 3DS lead to 3D in other markets?

When I heard of 3DS and that Nintendo had developed a 3D screen that didn't need glasses I freaked, I had heard that such technology was being implemented in 3D camera's with hit and miss (Some G4 said didn't look at all 3D others looked decent). But when I heard that 3DS hits it right on the button where several camera's apparently failed I was really excited.

As E3 rounded up and hearing all the praise I got to thinking, will other markets adopt this technology. Now according to what I have hear the 3D of 3DS and other non-glasses devices don't work for more then one person at a time or something like that. Many people on this forum and others said using that technology for a big screen TV for example wouldn't work.

But that got me thinking again, what other markets could adopt the technology. Immediatly laptops came to mind as most of the time it is a single person watching the screen it could project images in 3D. Also with movies coming to 3DS I could see laptop's playing 3D movies and viewing 3D pictures.

Then portable 3D players came to mind. We already have tons of portable DVD players availible with usually only a single person or max two watching the screen at a time it could really work good.Lastly phones, only one person looks at the phone at a time so it would be perfect and if a 3D camera was built in people could do 3D video chat.

I call it I-Phone 5G with 3D, Sony's next laptop using 3D and the next time I go out and want to watch a 3D movie on the go I'll take out my 3D Panasonic portable 3D player.

What do you think will other markets quickly adapt after seeing Nintendo's success with non-glasses 3D entertainment?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

THE ONLY REASON 3d is good again is because of high resolution crisp 3d.  3ds is a kids toy like virtual boy because of the low resolution 3d. I dont think adults will want a low resolution aliased 3d on their phone.  Who wants a phone you only can see at one angle at posistion

Repent or be destroyed

yes all companies are developing similar screens.

SHARP, managed to go first because instead of going full scale consumer TVs, notebooks, monitor went for mobile devices.

but sony samsung since they are joint venture , LG, panasonic all are heavily developing similar screens.

CommunistHater said:

3ds is a kids toy

That's why I am buying it to make me feel young :)

CommunistHater said:

THE ONLY REASON 3d is good again is because of high resolution crisp 3d.  3ds is a kids toy like virtual boy because of the low resolution 3d. I dont think adults will want a low resolution aliased 3d on their phone.  Who wants a phone you only can see at one angle at posistion

Hoo boy, you are gonna end up being a sad panda when this turns out wrong.

Around the Network

whil i don't know about you, but i am going to wait until it is figured out how to do 3d on tv's without glasses

it is possible as shown now for a small angle, only a matter of time until it becomes advanced and figured out for a full 180 angle or close to.

the way technology goes, adn the fact that i have recenlty bought new tv's as is, there is no way i'm jumping to buy some 3d tv that needs glasses when it seems someday they will not be needed.

If 3DS leads consumer thinking, the television manufacturers are screwed.  I bet Apple will be quick (as possible) to follow though.

Possibly. They already made the entire  gaming industry follow into 3D rendered polygons with the Nintendo 64.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

jarrod said:

If 3DS leads consumer thinking, the television manufacturers are screwed.  I bet Apple will be quick (as possible) to follow though.

Yah I bet the I-Phone 5G will have a 3D screen built in. Other companies are already rushing to develope 3D devices. I think Nintendo may just lead the charge into 3D. Plus Nintendo says they were working on it during the GameCube era. I wonder if the screen is big enough and everyones sitting directly infront of it, do they all get the effects of the 3D?

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I hope it makes it mainstream. I really want a 3D TV but the price for wearing glasses is not worth it at all.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909