By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Apes Rare with Rare

theARTIST0017 said:

Rare isn't what they used to be, everybody can agree on that.

Yup Rare is horrible without Nintendo.

Around the Network

Perhaps i'm wrong, but i thought that the team of Goldeneye 64 and early PD development splitted. And a majority of them moved to Free Radicals before MS bought Rare.

So perhaps, Rare's innovative, talented developers were working elsewhere and M$ just bought a two-penny team with a huge name.

Perhaps...

__XBrawlX__ said:
ph4nt said:

At first I was sad Nintendo let Rare go, but after seeing how they have made nothing but crap ever since, it was a wise decision.

Microsoft bought them out with 51% ownership. Nintendo had to let them go.

Nintendo was offered the shares first and declined.  Microsoft also bought out their shares in the deal for an inflated value btw.  Nintendo also could've held up Rare's IP with ownership disputes, but decided for a more amicable split.

Really, Nintendo didn't have to do anything they didn't choose to.  They just knew when to get out...

@ninty_shareholder, i know that Rare isn't Rare anymore, but theres got to be some of them left.

All im saying is that the circumstances behind these Rare games is ironic at a time when you could easily accuse new Rare of copying so many new Nintendo IP ideas.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Most people from old rare , take off , after MS assumed the control ...

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

Around the Network
megaman79 said:

While it is certainly unfortunate, and a HUGE waste of resources in my opinion, that Microsofts Rare isn't producing traditional Rare content, isn't it funny how Nintendo have basically capitalized on this deficiency by remaking arguably their best two games in their entire history (which arguably led to them unanimously winning E3 2010)?

(having trouble embedding video, hmm)

Donkey Kong Country Returns - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMhEs78Zix8

Goldeneye Wii - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlH3vWAZyc

Who would have honestly thought that this E3 would turn out exactly like this, despite that fact we already knew Microsoft had told Rare to make Kinect games? I am shocked, slightly amused and even a bit sympathetic to Rare as we know them today.

But then i remember that they copied Avatars. And then i looked at the similarities between Kinect Sports and the Wii Series.

This is by no means the only similarity, things like a giant airship, the colour pallet, etc are clearly copypastad from someone else.

Yea, they'll get no sympathy from me. Congratulations to Nintendo, who proved that they needed Rare just as much as Rare needed them. Its quite a romantic notion i think.

DKCR isn't a remake, it's basically DKC4.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

It's wierd to me that Retro studios are making a DK game after they did a great job with the Metroid Prime series, DK and Metroid are opposite franchises. It just tells u that Retro is a versatile company.

trestres said:

DKCR isn't a remake, it's basically DKC4.

Yes and no. There is no bigger compliment in my view than to say DKCR IS  a faithful remake, or atleast a remake of all the best ideas, in addition to new stuff.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

I thought it was highly ironic that while Rare got a new logo this week, games that it made under its old logo with its old partner were receiving new life.

Retro has taken over DK Country.  Activision (the current license owner for Bond) has remade the seminal game Golden Eye.  Both received their first viewings at E3. (though the week before, some word about the existence/possible existence of these games was on the net).

Meanwhile, the new Rare was featured in Kinect Sports. It is as if Microsoft has told Rare -- "You used to work with Nintendo. We need you to make Nintendo-like games."

Mike from Morgantown

Did anyone notice that Nintendo did NOT excise the "Rare" logo from the Goldeneye N64 box?

Also, I guess we know why someone (Nintendo or Activision) did not want Goldeneye (especially a remake) on XBLA.

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

theARTIST0017 said:

Rare isn't what they used to be, everybody can agree on that.

Agree