By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What price does 3DS needs to be successful?

$249 or maybe $300.

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:

3D is very easy to sell if assuming people get their hands on it. Anything less than 300$ will be successful (i.e. Nintendo successful, breaking records left and right).

$300 won't really push 3DS,maybe because of the COOL factor but it will come after that

but they can release it at $300 this year as PSP is posing no competition and then reduce price next year as PSP2 launches and manufacture costs go down

I don't know about that; when you really impress your customers, they're willing to pay the price. PS3 at 600$ didn't crumble solely due to the price, as well as Wii didn't succeed due to the low entry point as well. It's all about value in your product, and 3D is easily justifiable.

wii didn't entirely succeed because of the low entry price but PS3's expensive price helped it too alot

about the PS3,even with the features at an expensive price and brand power it didn't succeed

so saying 3DS would sell well is a guarantee but saying it will be no.1 even if $300 AND PSP2 releasing under the price next year puts its no.1 position in a bit of doubt

well i dont' know how many people are like me, but a consoles price affects me, not another consoles price.

I didn't buy the Wii because the PS3 was $600.  I bought the Wii because it was a reasonable price I was willing to pay and it was a system that looked fun and I wanted.

I didn't buy a PS3 beacuse of the price.  Sure it looked like it woudl be fun, had great features and based on past I expected it to have great games as well.  If asked me before this generation started which systems I would buy, I would for sure had said PS3.  All my friends and seemed everyone I knew owned a PS2, lots of great games for it, and so on.  There seemed no reason not to get PS3, and when shown seemed same way, but then $600 and its like "oh never mind then, I can't afford that"

But not affording PS3 didn't make me get Wii.  It wouldnt' make me get a 360 instead either.  I woudl get any system I want, not based on other conosles, but based on the console itself and if in my price range

Solid_Snake4RD said:
irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

Nintendo won't release 3DS @ $300. No way in hell, ever.

I predict $199.99, at the most.

normmaly by the nintendo way,yes it will most likely be cheap

but the tech cost could make it costly

read this interview   http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1099199p1.html

IGN: One of the things I've noticed about the 3DS is that the only way you can see 3D is when you hold it vertically. When you hold it sideways, in "book form," it doesn't work. Do you think this is going to be the end of book form? A lot of developers make games that way, but you won't get 3D that way. Do you see that as hurting the system's potential?

Konno:
I think that not all software developed for the 3DS has to support 3D. And I think that the latest technology may still be able to support 3D effects, even when held in book form -- but to support 3D in any direction would introduce incremental costs, and that would lead the 3DS to be a very expensive machine that people wouldn't be able to have access to. So we thought that for this opportunity and this machine, we need to not support the book mode.

If I was still a software producer, though, I think I'd instantly go back to the hardware team and tell them to include vertical 3D as well. (laughs) "It's just another few bucks!" I'd say. But I was the person to make judgments on those issues as well, so considering all the costs and circumstances I made a decision not to support it.

Does that sound like it will cost much?  To me it sounds like they are makign sure it is at a mass marketable price

yes i nkow most likely it will be cheap but i was just thinking the capabilities they have shown never seen before mostly so it could be expensive

nintendo products are never really expensive but they could price it higher as DSi will still be selling and PSP is posing no competition

anyways from the the interview,it better be good or even at low price people won't buy

i thought you were on the big bandwagon of it being a underpowered system.  hell only about PSP graphics correct and that is what how many years old system.  Most of all other factors, the DS has had forever hardware wise.  Then it goes to the stereostopic screen and face it, at that size it ain't that expensive. 

irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

Nintendo won't release 3DS @ $300. No way in hell, ever.

I predict $199.99, at the most.

normmaly by the nintendo way,yes it will most likely be cheap

but the tech cost could make it costly

read this interview   http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1099199p1.html

IGN: One of the things I've noticed about the 3DS is that the only way you can see 3D is when you hold it vertically. When you hold it sideways, in "book form," it doesn't work. Do you think this is going to be the end of book form? A lot of developers make games that way, but you won't get 3D that way. Do you see that as hurting the system's potential?

Konno:
I think that not all software developed for the 3DS has to support 3D. And I think that the latest technology may still be able to support 3D effects, even when held in book form -- but to support 3D in any direction would introduce incremental costs, and that would lead the 3DS to be a very expensive machine that people wouldn't be able to have access to. So we thought that for this opportunity and this machine, we need to not support the book mode.

If I was still a software producer, though, I think I'd instantly go back to the hardware team and tell them to include vertical 3D as well. (laughs) "It's just another few bucks!" I'd say. But I was the person to make judgments on those issues as well, so considering all the costs and circumstances I made a decision not to support it.

Does that sound like it will cost much?  To me it sounds like they are makign sure it is at a mass marketable price

yes i nkow most likely it will be cheap but i was just thinking the capabilities they have shown never seen before mostly so it could be expensive

nintendo products are never really expensive but they could price it higher as DSi will still be selling and PSP is posing no competition

anyways from the the interview,it better be good or even at low price people won't buy

i thought you were on the big bandwagon of it being a underpowered system.  hell only about PSP graphics correct and that is what how many years old system.  Most of all other factors, the DS has had forever hardware wise.  Then it goes to the stereostopic screen and face it, at that size it ain't that expensive. 

it is powered and upgraded from NINTENDO DS but not what it should have been

here we are discussing even with 3DS not being upgraded enough for what it should have been,with all the 3D and other tech stuff it looks like being expensive even if just a bit but that is not what Nintendo does,it always come with inexpensive solutions but here it could be costly

Solid_Snake4RD said:
irstupid said:

here we are discussing even with 3DS not being upgraded enough for what it should have been,with all the 3D and other tech stuff it looks like being expensive even if just a bit but that is not what Nintendo does,it always come with inexpensive solutions but here it could be costly

and what should have the 3DS been upgraded to?

It is said to be at least Wii graphics, if not more potentially, and I believe I have seen you in lots of posts saying it is impossible for a handheld to do PS360 graphics and power cause no fans.

So if it is Wii , yet impossible for PS360.  Where should it be?

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:

3D is very easy to sell if assuming people get their hands on it. Anything less than 300$ will be successful (i.e. Nintendo successful, breaking records left and right).

$300 won't really push 3DS,maybe because of the COOL factor but it will come after that

but they can release it at $300 this year as PSP is posing no competition and then reduce price next year as PSP2 launches and manufacture costs go down

I don't know about that; when you really impress your customers, they're willing to pay the price. PS3 at 600$ didn't crumble solely due to the price, as well as Wii didn't succeed due to the low entry point as well. It's all about value in your product, and 3D is easily justifiable.

wii didn't entirely succeed because of the low entry price but PS3's expensive price helped it too alot

about the PS3,even with the features at an expensive price and brand power it didn't succeed

so saying 3DS would sell well is a guarantee but saying it will be no.1 even if $300 AND PSP2 releasing under the price next year puts its no.1 position in a bit of doubt

well i dont' know how many people are like me, but a consoles price affects me, not another consoles price.

I didn't buy the Wii because the PS3 was $600.  I bought the Wii because it was a reasonable price I was willing to pay and it was a system that looked fun and I wanted.

I didn't buy a PS3 beacuse of the price.  Sure it looked like it woudl be fun, had great features and based on past I expected it to have great games as well.  If asked me before this generation started which systems I would buy, I would for sure had said PS3.  All my friends and seemed everyone I knew owned a PS2, lots of great games for it, and so on.  There seemed no reason not to get PS3, and when shown seemed same way, but then $600 and its like "oh never mind then, I can't afford that"

But not affording PS3 didn't make me get Wii.  It wouldnt' make me get a 360 instead either.  I woudl get any system I want, not based on other conosles, but based on the console itself and if in my price range

yes you don't care about the price as you liked the console and you bought it and you had idea of the games

but the general public and even many hardcores were going to buy the PS3 as the brand power and momentum it had

but then SONY sacfrificed PS3 for blu-ray promotion and they everyone shifted to the 360 and the wii

expensive PS3 didn't make you get a wii but the general public and casuals don't follow like us

and as PS3 wasn't able to overshadow its competitive console like PS2 did to dreamcast,gamecube and xbox the other consoles got media and public attention

irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
irstupid said:

and what should have the 3DS been upgraded to?

It is said to be at least Wii graphics, if not more potentially, and I believe I have seen you in lots of posts saying it is impossible for a handheld to do PS360 graphics and power cause no fans.

So if it is Wii , yet impossible for PS360.  Where should it be?

it is impossible for a handheld to do PS360 as it will have to be bigger than 3DS,more expensive and more fans will be needed

i am not saying 3DS isn't powerful,it is a huge upgradation from the NDS stuff but my reply was to people claiming PS360 graphics and the fact that IWATA said they upgraded the graphics after 6 years.

it was a big leap from what NDS was capable of but not what was still existant.it was a small leap there

it is like Wii<<<<3DS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<PS30

even this could be false as 3DS doesn't seem more powerfull than Wii but only looking as its a small screen

Solid_Snake4RD said:
irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:

yes you don't care about the price as you liked the console and you bought it and you had idea of the games

but the general public and even many hardcores were going to buy the PS3 as the brand power and momentum it had

but then SONY sacfrificed PS3 for blu-ray promotion and they everyone shifted to the 360 and the wii

expensive PS3 didn't make you get a wii but the general public and casuals don't follow like us

and as PS3 wasn't able to overshadow its competitive console like PS2 did to dreamcast,gamecube and xbox the other consoles got media and public attention

It's not about the price; it's about percieved value. PS3 just didn't justify the extra 300$ from a Wii or 360. The games weren't there, blu-ray was young and uncertain, etc. People don't just shift to the next available cheaper product if it doesn't fulfill their needs.

Lately, PS3 is selling great due to momentum and high quality / diverse lineup. Not due to the 300$ tag (at least not solely because of that).

Nintendo 3DS - $189.99
Nintendo DSi XL - $149.99
Nintendo DSi - $129.99
Nintendo DS lite - $99.99

routsounmanman said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:

It's not about the price; it's about percieved value. PS3 just didn't justify the extra 300$ from a Wii or 360. The games weren't there, blu-ray was young and uncertain, etc. People don't just shift to the next available cheaper product if it doesn't fulfill their needs.

Lately, PS3 is selling great due to momentum and high quality / diverse lineup. Not due to the 300$ tag (at least not solely because of that).

even with the perceived value no system would have made no1 with $600 price tag

a normal family can't purchase that expensive stuff,leave aloe many hardcore fans weren't able to purchase it

do you remember why DREAMCAST,GAMCUBE,XBOX didn't sell well

it was because PS2 was cheap,carring momentum and brand power and overshdowed them

PS3 couldn't overshdow Wii or 360 because of its high price.

BRAND POWER  AND MOMENTUM AND PRICE ARE VERY IMPORTANT