By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What price does 3DS needs to be successful?

Cheebee said:

Nintendo won't release 3DS @ $300. No way in hell, ever.

I predict $199.99, at the most.

normmaly by the nintendo way,yes it will most likely be cheap

but the tech cost could make it costly

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

Also, consumers have been showing lately they will shell out a lot more than that for portable devices they really like. Apple may really have done Nintendo a favour in allowing them to come in at a higher price.

3D is very easy to sell if assuming people get their hands on it. Anything less than 300$ will be successful (i.e. Nintendo successful, breaking records left and right).

astrosmash said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

Also, consumers have been showing lately they will shell out a lot more than that for portable devices they really like. Apple may really have done Nintendo a favour in allowing them to come in at a higher price.

NOT REALLY

people only buy handheld at a high price when the item is 'COOL'

DS brand has passed that stage and now looked at as sustainable thing and one people can depend upon like the PS2,but they will pay alot more

routsounmanman said:

3D is very easy to sell if assuming people get their hands on it. Anything less than 300$ will be successful (i.e. Nintendo successful, breaking records left and right).

$300 won't really push 3DS,maybe because of the COOL factor but it will come after that

but they can release it at $300 this year as PSP is posing no competition and then reduce price next year as PSP2 launches and manufacture costs go down

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:

$300 won't really push 3DS,maybe because of the COOL factor but it will come after that

but they can release it at $300 this year as PSP is posing no competition and then reduce price next year as PSP2 launches and manufacture costs go down

I don't know about that; when you really impress your customers, they're willing to pay the price. PS3 at 600$ didn't crumble solely due to the price, as well as Wii didn't succeed due to the low entry point as well. It's all about value in your product, and 3D is easily justifiable.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

read this interview   http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1099199p1.html

IGN: One of the things I've noticed about the 3DS is that the only way you can see 3D is when you hold it vertically. When you hold it sideways, in "book form," it doesn't work. Do you think this is going to be the end of book form? A lot of developers make games that way, but you won't get 3D that way. Do you see that as hurting the system's potential?

Konno:
I think that not all software developed for the 3DS has to support 3D. And I think that the latest technology may still be able to support 3D effects, even when held in book form -- but to support 3D in any direction would introduce incremental costs, and that would lead the 3DS to be a very expensive machine that people wouldn't be able to have access to. So we thought that for this opportunity and this machine, we need to not support the book mode.

If I was still a software producer, though, I think I'd instantly go back to the hardware team and tell them to include vertical 3D as well. (laughs) "It's just another few bucks!" I'd say. But I was the person to make judgments on those issues as well, so considering all the costs and circumstances I made a decision not to support it.

Does that sound like it will cost much?  To me it sounds like they are makign sure it is at a mass marketable price

routsounmanman said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
routsounmanman said:

I don't know about that; when you really impress your customers, they're willing to pay the price. PS3 at 600$ didn't crumble solely due to the price, as well as Wii didn't succeed due to the low entry point as well. It's all about value in your product, and 3D is easily justifiable.

wii didn't entirely succeed because of the low entry price but PS3's expensive price helped it too alot

about the PS3,even with the features at an expensive price and brand power it didn't succeed

so saying 3DS would sell well is a guarantee but saying it will be no.1 even if $300 AND PSP2 releasing under the price next year puts its no.1 position in a bit of doubt

I think it needs to be $199 to be as successful as the ds.  They could try to sell it at $250 since the psp 1000 launched at that price and did fairly well but anything over that is too much for a handheld.

irstupid said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Cheebee said:

read this interview   http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1099199p1.html

IGN: One of the things I've noticed about the 3DS is that the only way you can see 3D is when you hold it vertically. When you hold it sideways, in "book form," it doesn't work. Do you think this is going to be the end of book form? A lot of developers make games that way, but you won't get 3D that way. Do you see that as hurting the system's potential?

Konno:
I think that not all software developed for the 3DS has to support 3D. And I think that the latest technology may still be able to support 3D effects, even when held in book form -- but to support 3D in any direction would introduce incremental costs, and that would lead the 3DS to be a very expensive machine that people wouldn't be able to have access to. So we thought that for this opportunity and this machine, we need to not support the book mode.

If I was still a software producer, though, I think I'd instantly go back to the hardware team and tell them to include vertical 3D as well. (laughs) "It's just another few bucks!" I'd say. But I was the person to make judgments on those issues as well, so considering all the costs and circumstances I made a decision not to support it.

Does that sound like it will cost much?  To me it sounds like they are makign sure it is at a mass marketable price

yes i nkow most likely it will be cheap but i was just thinking the capabilities they have shown never seen before mostly so it could be expensive

nintendo products are never really expensive but they could price it higher as DSi will still be selling and PSP is posing no competition

anyways from the the interview,it better be good or even at low price people won't buy