By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could anyone really kill Nintendo?

How can you kill something for 10 years?  Once its killed its not like you can kill it more

Around the Network
Jo21 said:

what are you talking about? ps1-ps2 did kill it for 10 years

first of all when you kill something it doesn't come back.  Second Nintendo actually made more profit than Sony did in the PS2 era, so "kill" doesn't even make sense.  Sony greatly decreased the profit Nintendo made in home consoles, but it was still a profit, they still had the mighty gameboy, and they still had a huge warchest anyway. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Nintendo is the only company that can kill Nintendo.  While I am sure Nintendo will never really die they may lose much marketshare if they focus on competing too directly with the competition.  Thats a large part of the n64/gc era.

Nintendo has been around forever. They've come from being a card making company, to a toy company, to a video game company. They know how to stay in business! If video games lose their appeal or become too competitive, they would just find another area to take their business.

mortono said:

Nintendo has been around forever. They've come from being a card making company, to a toy company, to a video game company. They know how to stay in business! If video games lose their appeal or become too competitive, they would just find another area to take their business.

Around the Network

As many have said, nintendo is massive but vurnerable. To me the real question is how will nintendo respond when miyamoto retires from developing games...or...just...dies. I know Miyamoto is less involved with the business aspect as say Iwata and Reggie, but he is the mastermind behind so many great franchises. I could see trouble when Miyamoto is gone and consumers don't see nintendo in the same light anymore.

The only threat to Nintendo is themselves if they make a foolish descision.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
mike_intellivision said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
megaman79 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Weegee said:

As long Iwata his alive , I think nintendo is safe.

really?

IWATA doesn't make nintendo succesfull though

Yea, once he became President (or wuteva his title is) they decided to change their approach, and approved the "test" with the DS. He is pretty much legendary for supporting this massive turn around in product design marketing and profitability.

yes he did bring revolutionary devices but many other things like PS3's high price also helped alot

Sony made many mis-steps this generation. Price. B/C. Rumble. Differing SKUs/models. The list goes on.

But Sony made one mistake in the late 1980s/early 1990s, when it tried to use contracts to gain profits from Nintendo as part of a partnership. It is (finally) paying for that. http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=231

Mike from Morgantown

Nintendo seeing Apple as its enemy in the future:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/nintendo-apple-is-enemy-of-the-future/8248

SONY made mistake of price as they sacrificed PS3 for future profits of BLU-RAY

B/C was not a mistake and didn't make much difference when console was so highly priced.also they just removed it afterwords so that PS2 sales would make up for PS3 loss

RUMBLE again did not make much difference compared to how price effected it

different/sku again were made so that loss would be less on some units and this didn't effect sales anywhere near the price

do you even know what the NINTENDO-SONY contracts were for.

Nintendo approched SONY to make a CD based version of SNES not SONY.

Nintendo have sometimes declined APPLE as enemy and sometimes confirmed it,anyways APPLE will not effect hardcore gaming

The B/C mistake was the position switching. I personally favor B/C, but to first have it and then remove it makes you appear to be uncertain.

I am aware what the Sony contracts were for. I also know how Sony tried to make things work to its advantage -- overly so in the eyes of NIntendo.

Finally, Nintendo considers everyone an enemy -- in one way or another. And approaching this business from a perspective that you have to compete against anything someone might do means you will strive to make sure that your optiosn for entertainment have value and quality, for you know that only in that way can remain relevant.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Of course someone could kill Nintendo.

Hell, without Nintendo expanding the portable market into its current size and the Wii's success I was banking on Panasonic buying the company. Heck, I still think that somewhere down the road another electronics giant from Japan will eventually merge/swallow the company.

I doubt it will be Sony, because of ego reasons. But yeah, its possible and only time will tell if it ever comes true.

ya, just drop an A-bomb on  Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo of America's HQs, instant destruction of their company.

Now realistically yes they can, easily. Bad business could kill them off.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453