By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Should SONY Scrap PSP2?! (If they plan to make one)

Smashchu2 said:
famousringo said:

All your post really does is highlight the fact that Apple has a very different business model than Nintendo in the handheld space. The fact that this completely new, and still rapidly evolving, business model has gone from 0% to 19% of US handheld software revenue in less than two years — and with no help from loss-leading hardware or 1st party development — would suggest to me that Apple really is a threat to Nintendo.

Look, it's really simple. There are three notable platforms for mobile gaming. Currently, Sony's platform is in decline, Nintendo's is maintaining speed and about to change course, and Apple's is growing rapidly. If Apple isn't a threat to Nintendo, who is?

Personally, I'm glad that Nintendo isn't as dismissive of Apple as you are.

On bold: How do we know Nintendo cares about Apple? We just assume it.

So having less then a fourth of the total revenue is a different business model then? In fact, I'm not sure what business model has to do with anything? Also, going from 0 to anything is easy. This does not mean they are growing a lot. It means they just started.

Also, let's not forget that this is the tail end of the handheld market. The DS and the PSP were out for 5 years and have already hit their peak in terms of software and hardware. And Nintendo gave very little support to the DS in 2009. What did we have? Spirit Tracks and that's about it (and Fire Emblem). Considering the IPhone only mustered less then a fourth of the revenue, I would not say it's a serious competitor. Let's see how it fairs when the other two guys have bigger software titles coming out. And, let's not forget that that 19% is spread over a lot of games.

The thing I find the silliest about the whole "Apple invading gaming," is there is nothing new about it. Mobile games have been around for a while. Let's hear it from Miyamoto though. He talks about how it was said that Mobile games on cell phones would take over the Gameboy. Well, did it?

LOL, you're the one who thinks the business model disqualifies Apple's 19% of the market because it's divided between so many titles, so don't play coy and pretend I'm the one who brought it up. You made a freakin' table about business models! You said that iOS games don't count because they're cheap to make and cheap to buy (where have I heard this argument before?).

You have some powerful denial going on if you think the App Store is just a re-run. No software market has ever existed like this before. It's never been so easy to make, sell or buy software on any previous platform. No mobile phone has had a billion dollar software market before now.

I believe Iwata cares about Apple because he's a bit of an Apple fan, and I have a hard time believing that the man who built Nintendo into the beast it is today would twiddle his thumbs while a new competitor encroaches on one of his key markets.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Technology leaders sway as time goes on. In the 80's and Early ninties, Nintendo was the console or hand held prefered at that time. Then came the rest of the ninties to the mid of 2000s when sony lead through out. Now nintendo leads and the rest follow.

Sony should not give up on the psp business but rather capitalized on the audience the ds has created. The psp was just like a ps2 in the hand with the same kind of games whiles the ds focused on the casuals. It is the casuals that have left the PS3 or the ps brand. sony needs to get them bace and the move is a great idea.  

Check these hilarious commentsFunny Comments and replies

Soriku said:

No, but the PSP2 will definitely have a hard time. Even companies/devs that would support it like SE/Nomura with KH, Konami/Kojima with MGS, and Capcom with something like RE (RE PSP definitely doesn't exist at this point) are making 3DS games - KH 3D (made by the team that previously worked on BBS), MGS, and RE Revelations. Also some other games like SMT (Persona) are coming to the 3DS now. Also there's a lot of hype for the 3DS, just check out this vid:

http://kotaku.com/5566349/nintendo-3ds-spark-gamer-stampede

I don't think a PSP2 would gain such a reaction, tbh.

I don't think they should give up but the 3DS will definitely give a PSP2 a tough time.

This

I came into this thread to pretty much post this.

@Smashchu2 your being a bit one sided lol. your going on about how sony hav no chance of beating nintendo when last i checked sony completly destroyed nintendo for over 10 years. people spent the whole time saying nintendo had to stop sony. just because there winning know doesnt mean they will be in 2 years time. im going to put this second part as simply as i can. shore nintendo make some great games but to be honest some of sony's games completly trash nintendoes e.g. LittleBigPlanet. shore sony just own the company but sony are just as much a game company as nintendo know. its been 15 years since sony joined the video game industry and the fact they are still here and hav sold more home consols in that time than nintendo proves that.

FantasySky said:

@Smashchu2 your being a bit one sided lol. your going on about how sony hav no chance of beating nintendo when last i checked sony completly destroyed nintendo for over 10 years. people spent the whole time saying nintendo had to stop sony. just because there winning know doesnt mean they will be in 2 years time. im going to put this second part as simply as i can. shore nintendo make some great games but to be honest some of sony's games completly trash nintendoes e.g. LittleBigPlanet. shore sony just own the company but sony are just as much a game company as nintendo know. its been 15 years since sony joined the video game industry and the fact they are still here and hav sold more home consols in that time than nintendo proves that.

Sony's reign is over. Get over it. 

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

Around the Network
ZaP~ said:

I agree with Smashchu2.

Right now 3DS has the 3rd party support and the first party, on the DS-PSP the things was more third party efforts to PSP and Nintendo dominated on DS. As things are right now it's too risk for Sony to develop a PSP2, i mean, what can they do to be different enought and still make developer interested on work on their platform.

i think Sony should still developer a PSP2, but unlike the PSp Go, they have to make sure it's B/C like the 3DS. It also has to have some things the 3DS doesn't have for it to compete. Right now the 3DS is going to sell like crazy, no matter what it's priced at. The system and technology is pretty incredible. Nintendo has hit a homerun with this baby. I will definitely be pre-ordering one. If Sony can't make the PSP2 as exciting and incredible as the 3DS, then they should wait on it until they've got something special. Who knows. Maybe they did have a PSP2 model to show, but after seeing what Nintendo delivered, they decided not to show it.

'gaming till I'm gone'

I'm starting to wonder if the psp 2 will even be relased. If it were to be announced woudn't it take a year before it comes out. Because Move was announced in E3 2009 but wasn't released until like late this year. Which a year and a half.  If it were announced right now it won't come out proberly until next christmas.  Which gives 3DS  the edge.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

famousringo said:
Smashchu2 said:
famousringo said:

All your post really does is highlight the fact that Apple has a very different business model than Nintendo in the handheld space. The fact that this completely new, and still rapidly evolving, business model has gone from 0% to 19% of US handheld software revenue in less than two years — and with no help from loss-leading hardware or 1st party development — would suggest to me that Apple really is a threat to Nintendo.

Look, it's really simple. There are three notable platforms for mobile gaming. Currently, Sony's platform is in decline, Nintendo's is maintaining speed and about to change course, and Apple's is growing rapidly. If Apple isn't a threat to Nintendo, who is?

Personally, I'm glad that Nintendo isn't as dismissive of Apple as you are.

On bold: How do we know Nintendo cares about Apple? We just assume it.

So having less then a fourth of the total revenue is a different business model then? In fact, I'm not sure what business model has to do with anything? Also, going from 0 to anything is easy. This does not mean they are growing a lot. It means they just started.

Also, let's not forget that this is the tail end of the handheld market. The DS and the PSP were out for 5 years and have already hit their peak in terms of software and hardware. And Nintendo gave very little support to the DS in 2009. What did we have? Spirit Tracks and that's about it (and Fire Emblem). Considering the IPhone only mustered less then a fourth of the revenue, I would not say it's a serious competitor. Let's see how it fairs when the other two guys have bigger software titles coming out. And, let's not forget that that 19% is spread over a lot of games.

The thing I find the silliest about the whole "Apple invading gaming," is there is nothing new about it. Mobile games have been around for a while. Let's hear it from Miyamoto though. He talks about how it was said that Mobile games on cell phones would take over the Gameboy. Well, did it?

LOL, you're the one who thinks the business model disqualifies Apple's 19% of the market because it's divided between so many titles, so don't play coy and pretend I'm the one who brought it up. You made a freakin' table about business models! You said that iOS games don't count because they're cheap to make and cheap to buy (where have I heard this argument before?).

You have some powerful denial going on if you think the App Store is just a re-run. No software market has ever existed like this before. It's never been so easy to make, sell or buy software on any previous platform. No mobile phone has had a billion dollar software market before now.

I believe Iwata cares about Apple because he's a bit of an Apple fan, and I have a hard time believing that the man who built Nintendo into the beast it is today would twiddle his thumbs while a new competitor encroaches on one of his key markets.

The word "business model" is overused here. A business model is just how you make money. Burger King's business model is to sell you burgers fast. McDonald's business model is the same: sell you burgers. Their strategy is how they differ. 

Margins have nothing to do with a business model. A margin is just your sales minus Cost of Goods Sold. What I was arguing is that just because you can have a lower margin by percentage of sales, it may not be better because the selling price is lower. If you sell a game for $5 and it cost you $2 per unit. That's a 60% margin. Now, let's say you sell one for $50 and it cost $45 per game. Well, that's a 10% margin. That's not as good as a 60% one. But in fact, it is better. Because you sold the game for more, you made more money. Precents are very easy to abuse. If you want to discuss the math, make sure you try to use absolute numbers rather then precents. Industry analyst abuse precents all the time. Again, the table has nothing to do with business models.

I know iTunes is disruptive, but I have heard nothing about the apps store. From what I can tell, it's no different then the Wii Shop Channel. it's a venue to buy digital software.

Also, just because Iwata likes Apple doesn't mean they are a threat (they aren't even in the same business). Heck, how is Apple a competitor. The iPhone doesn't compete with handheld systems. It competes with smartphones. I'm not sure how you or anyone else comes to these conclusion. And how is what you said proof that Nintendo sees Apple as a threat. They have done nothing in respones to Apple.

kowenicki said:

The 3DS has changed EVERYTHING.

I'm guessing there were a few "oh shit!" moments at Sony HQ over recent months.

Totally agree. Sony seems to be pwned in recent months prety harshly by everyone in the competition. And Ninty is obviously leading this crowd, and 3DS and possible plans for Wii 3D or even a Ninty 3D TV will be K.O.

There is just nothing they can do with their PSP2/PSP plannings now and their crazy 3D glasses further.

leo-j said:

jus tlike the X1 failed? One of the most successful ANDROID phones in europe? Sure..

Lol, x1 was winmo-based, and yes it failed miserably.