By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan and the console market.

darthdevidem said:
@starcraft

just like how Japan is IN Asia....

Dude, it wasn't ME who made that stupid post... 'Bladeneo' did that...

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

@starcarft

sorryyyy....lol

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

Rath said:
Japan does matter in the console market it just matters far less than it did before.

percentage wise Japan just isnt as powerful as it used to be. Of course its still the development powerhouse that it always was.

Agree. 

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

StarcraftManiac said:
Bladeneo said:
StarcraftManiac said:
DMeisterJ said:

Just a quick question

To all the people that said otherwise:

Does Japan matter in the console market now that Wii Fit is selling out?

Why I posted this:

I remember reading a few weeks ago when SMG launched a few threads on Japan not mattering in the console market, now that Wii Fit is selling out, are people going to change their tunes?

Yes, Japan matters.

It's:

1) Us

2) Europe

3) Japan

4) UK

In order of biggest to smaller.

People saying Japan 'doesn't matter' anymore are actually meaning that the more 'Hardcore' or 'Real' games are starting to see a decline in sales in comparison to their predecessors... (example: Sunshine vs Galaxy).

Add to that that the 'non-gamer' games or 'casual' games start to see bigger sales in Japan and we have a conclusion that leads to:

'Japan doesn't matter anymore' because it's not dominated anymore by 'real' games... As some like to call it.

I however don't care if it's casual or hardcore... But i find it sad to see Mario Galaxy or Zelda TP sell worse then games like Brain Training or something else in Japan.

Funny, the UK is IN europe...

Are you REALLY as stupid as i think you are?!

Jeesh, im just saying. When the UK is counted seperatedly it would be ranked No4. in biggest markets Ww.

I'm not saying the UK isn't in Europe..

No, I'm not stupid at all, I just dont think the UK is big enough to stand on its own in the world market and therefore shouldn't really be counted seperately as it didn't exactly help the point you were making.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

japan does matter but not to much

Around the Network

Japan matters as much as a percentage in the worldwide console market as the PS3 does in the worldwide market. How much that matters is entirely up to your perception.

Of course Japan matters in the video game market!!! At least for Sony & Nintendo....even for MS. MS will never have "dominance" if they can't develop a solid userbase in Japan.

Well, I now only have access to a PS3 & 360...Plan on buying a wii soon (lol, if I can ever find one available!) but will probably wait until some of the major RPG's come out like Dragon Quest & Tales, etc.

Anyhow, I'm so far behind in games to play that I'm not in a huge hurry (lol, haven't even gotten a chance to finish God of War II yet!) 

Japan is the only reason why the Xbox 360 will come in third this generation. PS3 and Wii will always have a few million more due to Japan. In fact, take away the Japan factor right now, today and you will see that the xbox 360 is still above the Wii.

DMeisterJ said:

Just a quick question

To all the people that said otherwise: 

Does Japan matter in the console market now that Wii Fit is selling out? 

Why I posted this:

I remember reading a few weeks ago when SMG launched a few threads on Japan not mattering in the console market, now that Wii Fit is selling out, are people going to change their tunes? 

Never said Japan doesn't matter, what I said was that Japan is ahead of the curve, the market over there is much more casual, save for a few diehards who support certain franchises, sales prove this, casual/nongamer fare sells better, Japan is where the West will be in a few years

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Japan is a strange market, some of the best selling games in Japanese history are likely to be titles I've never heard of, let alone played.
It does matter though, but it seems to matter less for Wii fans since SMG sales failed to erupt...
Ah well.