By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit selling out in Japan

On a more technical note, if anyone from Japan plays with this, let us know how long the batteries last.  Like the Wiimote, rechargeable NiMH batteries may be obligatory.

Is it possible to preorder this beast in the US yet?

Around the Network

@fkusumot

You do from time to time bother reading oh I do not know the sales charts for the Wii. Notice anything striking about the top five games. No wait I don't want to ruin the surprise for you. Seriously this isn't the blue ocean its the wading pool. What your telling me that mini games are not the best selling genre on the console. What are your going to say they do not hold the top positions.

1. Wii Sports 12.45m
2. Wii Play 6.99m
3. Zelda Twilight Princess 3.88m
4. Mario Party 8 2.78m
5. Wario Ware Smooth Moves 2.00m

Seriously the console already has somewhat of a reputation. The fact that its living up to that reputation isn't going to help when it comes to getting complex, or more mature titles. Honestly I can only play so many compilations before I want a real game. I suppose if you get off on the though of an endless stream of compilations it sounds fantastic to you, but for me I want something challenging not mind numbing.

Basically its true and you know it. Crying about it doesn't change a thing.

The real games are there. Guess what you're supposed to do now? Buy them and play them.

The Wii will get the most games simply because devs only need to sell a baker's dozen of them to get their money back. More gamers means more games means more gamers means more games. It will thus have the most diverse library.

Galaxy will be in that top 5 by the end of the year. Then Brawl dill dominate that entire list. You didn't forget about the Brawl, did you?

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Dodece said:
@fkusumot

You do from time to time bother reading oh I do not know the sales charts for the Wii. Notice anything striking about the top five games. No wait I don't want to ruin the surprise for you. Seriously this isn't the blue ocean its the wading pool. What your telling me that mini games are not the best selling genre on the console. What are your going to say they do not hold the top positions.

1. Wii Sports 12.45m
2. Wii Play 6.99m
4. Mario Party 8 2.78m

Seriously the console already has somewhat of a reputation. The fact that its living up to that reputation isn't going to help when it comes to getting complex, or more mature titles. Honestly I can only play so many compilations before I want a real game. I suppose if you get off on the though of an endless stream of compilations it sounds fantastic to you, but for me I want something challenging not mind numbing.

Okay, let's start...

B

I

N

G

O

Nintendo is destroying the industry!

When PS60 get price cut, Wii is through.

Wii Fit!!????

Nintendo is abandoning the hardcore!

When this game comes out, THEN the PS360 will take off!

Nintendo not serious about online.

Wii is just a party machine.

Wii sells because it is cheap.

Pachter says…

Nintendo milks profit due to inferior hardware!

Gamecube started well at first too…

Wii is a fad!

FREE

LOL minigames!!1!

PS3 is on a ten year plan.

Wii is two Gamecube systems put together by duct tape!

Argh!!! Non-games!!!1!!!

Wii-mote is a gimmick.

Stupid casual gamers!

Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo systems.

When HD adoption rate goes up, Wii is finished.

Who cares about Wii sales? All the real games are on PS60!

Where are the third parties? LOL!

VC is overpriced rom dump!

What happens when people get bored of Wii Sports

Dodece said:
@fkusumot

1. Wii Sports 12.45m
2. Wii Play 6.99m
4. Mario Party 8 2.78m

Revisit that list in a year, it will be Galaxy, SSBB, MKWii, Zelda, Wii Sports will still be there, WiiPlay is only there because of the controller (go ahead, hate on N for marketing well). Plus the 2 Resident Evil games will have more than doubled exceeded expectations. As I said in an earlier post today, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED. Remember, almost no third parties even planned on developing for the Wii until mid 2007. The ideas are just starting.

Seems like others are seeing the potential of expanding the market, (Scene It, Singstar and Buzz finally coming out in NA). Nobody's dissing on Sony for marketing a Karaoke bundle at X-Mas, Wii Sports is closer to a traditional game than that.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network
Dodece said:
@fkusumot

1. Wii Sports 12.45m
2. Wii Play 6.99m
4. Mario Party 8 2.78m

I like how you only count Wii Sports when it helps you prove your point.  I also like how you showed the top 5 instead of the top 10, which shows very diverse software sales

Wii SportsNintendo2.236.703.5212.45
Wii PlayNintendo1.793.042.166.99
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight PrincessNintendo0.562.081.243.88
Mario Party 8Nintendo0.911.460.412.78
Wario Ware: Smooth MovesNintendo0.540.760.702.00
Super Mario GalaxyNintendo0.381.110.391.88
Super Paper MarioNintendo0.520.840.341.70
Rayman Raving RabbidsUbisoft0.020.640.481.14
Red SteelUbisoft0.040.450.541.03
Resident Evil 4: Wii EditionCapcom0.140.550.331.02
Mario Strikers ChargedNintendo0.100.410.491.00

Let's see, that's:  5 party games, 1 FPS, 1 survival horror, 1 Platformer/RPG, 1 Platformer, 1 Action-Adventure, and 1 sports game.  Damn, if only Wii owners bought more than party games.  

naznatips said:Let's see, that's:  5 party games, 1 FPS, 1 survival horror, 1 Platformer/RPG, 1 Platformer, 1 Action-Adventure, and 1 sports game.  Damn, if only Wii owners bought more than party games.  

Agreed, and as I said before : Remember, almost no third parties even planned on developing for the Wii until mid 2007. The ideas are just starting. Damn, EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

What is this, Tiny Toon Adventures?

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

I think non-gamers who start with the wii slowly will change to more hardcorish gamers. they will start with wii sports or wii-fit, but after a while they feel there ready to try something different. Something a little bit more demanding of them. I believe nintendo is saving this industrie, maybe not saving but at least making it far bigger then it already is.

Mario Galazy will over take Wario Ware next week, Wii Sports technically shouldn't count because everyone gets in in NA no matter what. Every one buys Wii play for the second remote.

That leaves Mario Party 8 as the only real party game in the top 5 that people buy strictly for that reason.

Expect Smash Bros; Mario Kart, and Wii Fit to bump Wario Ware down the list.

EDIT: On a side note; I don't think you can necessarily call Wii Fit a casual title. Just because the idea of Wii Fit doesn't fit the standard "Sit on you ass, twiidle your thumbs, shoot shit" routine doesn't mean this game isn't hardcore.

I'd like to see one; just one, fat bastard "hardcore" gamer get his ass on that balance board and play the game like it was as easy as Mario Party or Wario Ware.

The people who end up buying and playing this game the way it is meant to be; are going to be dedicated to a daily routine that involves "PLAYING A GAME" by definition that makes them a harcore gamer.