By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit selling out in Japan

Rubang B said:
fkusumot said:
Rubang B said:
Good news for people who want a whole gym with stat-tracking and analyzing software and goal-setting software and basically a virtual personal trainer for only $310, that the whole family can use with no monthly fees anywhere.

Good news for the gaming industry because an assload of non-gamers are going to pick up Galaxy or Wii Sports on their way out the door.

This is just amazing. I can't wait.

Can I join your "I can't wait" club? Please? The whole gym thing is cool but I want to try the skiing and snowboarding. I haven't been able to go skiing since I broke my leg twenty-five years ago because of the pins in my ankle.

But if I let you join my club the whole VGChartz social web will be destroyed. I'm supposed to pretend I hate you.

Anyway, I'm getting this day one and I plan on turning it into a really unhealthy drinking game.

That's a good one. You should get a good website name like "DrunkWiiFit" and post pictures of people doing the pelvic thrust whilst hula-hooping.

Around the Network

I wonder if I should buy this when it comes out. I bet my mom would love it.

Bodhesatva said:
misterd said:
Wow. I am absolutely shocked by the WiiFit's success in Japan.

Oh, wait. No I'm not. This is JAPAN - the more gimmicky the better.

+10 for stanley

I can't wait to so see what gaming applications (other than the fitness one here) come to the balance board.

Of course, 3rd parties will have had no faith in the concept so they won't start using a balance board in development until..... say, 2009.

Not that I would have jump on board immediately if I was a TP. This is again uncharted territory, and most TP have not grasped how to utilize the wiimote/nunchuck concept yet. Again, they would need to take a risk. Hopefully some people learned from the mistake of not taking the chance, though it won't be the developers releasing poor quality ports and shovelware.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709

I have NEVER had my parents be interested in games. My mom doesnt think watching me is interesting. She wont pick up a controller. I got her to play a game of Wii Tennis but still nothing much. Maybe I can talk her into this one. She goes to the gym 5 times a week and loves working out. Maybe I could convince her that this will help her in between gym visits >.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

I find the lack of faith in Wii Fit on this board...disturbing

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I wonder if anyone else will see the irony if this game outsells Mario Galaxy. This game could actually prove all the negative stereotypes completely and utterly correct. Wii Fit is a game built around a peripheral. That just happens to be a collection of mini games. While Mario is perhaps the best platformer of the year, and we are told repeatedly on these forums that it should be up for game of the year.

I am actually terribly shocked, and would actually be terribly disappointed if this game outperforms Mario Galaxy. Ruminate on the consequences for a moment. Nintendo is going to draw the same conclusion I am going to draw. The market for this console wants mini game compilations, and they love to see packed in hardware. Were you Nintendo what would you start to make more of.

Honestly think for a moment before you guys get excited this could be the worst thing that could happen to this console. This game could establish permanently a rule. That only mini games are big on the Wii. That after all is what sells real well. While the core games cost more to develop and bring in far less. This makes you wonder who Nintendo is going to support. Why make core games when gimmicky mini games can sell your console to just about everyone.

This should concern dedicated gamers. Nintendo the best reason to own a Wii. Has made three mini games for the console that would all be hits. Sports, Play, and now Fit. You can thrown in Mario Party as well. I wonder if this console will ever see another Star Fox, Pilotwings, Waverace, let alone another Mario or Zelda. After all why make them when Wii yoga could bring in three million sales on day one.

I hope the reports are grossly exaggerated. You know if this succeeds Nintendo isn't going to be very dedicated to core gaming in the future.

New reports that things were more muted in Kyoto. Still selling, but not frantic in the manner above.

Again -- wait for more complete results, please. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Too long, didn't read.

I think Galaxy will be the best-selling platformer for a few years.

But Wii Fit should and will outsell a whole mess of games you don't want it to outsell.

It's the blue ocean baby. Come out here and surf with the revolution.

"Regular" games and/or gamers aren't going anywhere.

DO NOT FEEL THREATENED BY THE REVOLUTION! JOIN IT!

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Zelda is ALREADY in development. The strategy for N is to make games for everyone, not just casuals not just hardcore. AND they ARE bringing TONS of new people in, and will continue making things for existing gamers as well. No use in expanding your Ocean if you are draining it at the same time. And I don't know one person who supported N last generation who is bailing on them this time around. Only the hardcores that didn't support them in the last generation. Not that N didn't have hardcore supporters. Now they aren't putting all thier eggs in one basket, but making a bigger basket. Why does this frighten all of you so much? It's truly brilliant. And taken them from being counted out to numero uno.  

And IMHO, Mario won't bomb long term in Japan, let's see what happens to it's sales in Japan post Wii-fit release. Mario games have always sold over time, lets give it some.

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709