By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Top 50 Seventh Gen Games (all platforms)

Much better.  Good stuff.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

Around the Network

To reiterate, I do not think that Wii Sports should be in the list.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:

To explain, I have included all bundles, since removing one would necessitate removing them all, and there is no way to do that.

Khuutra said:
dtewi said:

To explain, I have included all bundles, since removing one would necessitate removing them all, and there is no way to do that.

Hmm.

Gah, bundles are annoying.

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Hmm.

If it makes you feel better, I could just act the jerk and say "Yeah, Bundles should just count anyway"

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

Hmm.

If it makes you feel better, I could just act the jerk and say "Yeah, Bundles should just count anyway"

That makes me feel worse!

Sugu yoko de waratteita

I will never leave you

21 games (so far) selling over 10 million is quite an accomplishment.

For a comparison, last gen ended with the top sellers being something along the lines of

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - ~ 20.5 million

2. Pokemon Rub/Sapphire - 15.4 million

3. Gran Turismo 3 - 14.89 million

4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 14.2 million

5.  Grand Theft Auto III - 11.6 million

6. Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red - 10.5 million

7. Gran Turismo 4 - 10.5 million

I think that's it. Those are the only titles that sold more than 10 million last gen. I might have missed some, though. Still, it's definitely not more than 10.

The 6th gen ended as the gen with the least "heavy hitters", and was immidiately followed by the 7th gen, which has the most heavy hitters.

It's quite interesting to see what a change mario has had generation on generation. He saw ~ 60 million last gen, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Kart Wii alone might beat that.

Oh, and Khuutra. One thing; is Halo 3 the best shooter on a single console ever? I still stand by that Duck Hunt is a shooter, and it has far over double the sales of Halo 3.

Nintendomination?

I'm still amazing at Super Mario 64 DS sales.  I guess it benefitted from being a launch title, being a Mario game and being all round pretty damn awesome.

Pineapple said:

21 games (so far) selling over 10 million is quite an accomplishment.

For a comparison, last gen ended with the top sellers being something along the lines of

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - ~ 20.5 million

2. Pokemon Rub/Sapphire - 15.4 million

3. Gran Turismo 3 - 14.89 million

4. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - 14.2 million

5.  Grand Theft Auto III - 11.6 million

6. Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red - 10.5 million

7. Gran Turismo 4 - 10.5 million

I think that's it. Those are the only titles that sold more than 10 million last gen. I might have missed some, though. Still, it's definitely not more than 10.

The 6th gen ended as the gen with the least "heavy hitters", and was immidiately followed by the 7th gen, which has the most heavy hitters.

It's quite interesting to see what a change mario has had generation on generation. He saw ~ 60 million last gen, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Mario Kart Wii alone might beat that.

Oh, and Khuutra. One thing; is Halo 3 the best shooter on a single console ever? I still stand by that Duck Hunt is a shooter, and it has far over double the sales of Halo 3.

Right you are, actually. I suppose I'll have to amend to "first person shooter", since even though Duck Hunt occurs in the first person I thin it's nont technically an FPS.

And yes, it's amazing how many of these games have broken 10 million. What's more amazing is how many have broken 15 million, as Erik Aston pointed out a couplee f years ago - last generation there was only two games to do that much, while this generation there is going to be over a dozen! And by the end of it, the entire top ten might be made up of 20 million sellers!

Oh, there will be more than 10 titles to sell 20 million, I'm sure.

We have 6 now. Brain Age will definitely make it (0.8 million left), as should Mario Kart DS (1.9 million left, should make it in January 11 ish). Wii Sports Resort is a shoe-in, as is New Super Mario Bros Wii. Of course, Modern Warfare 2 will also make it.

Diamond/Pearl needs 2.5 million, and it won't get that. It should end in the 18-19 million range.

Wii Fit Plus needs 7.4 million, and it's going to get that. A new Wii Fit would be the only thing I really see stopping it.

So that's 12 titles just from the released ones.  I'm sure some future titles could break the mark too. 13-15 titles breaking 20 million seems likely.

Of those 12, 7 should definitely make 25 million (Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Sports Resort, Mario Kart Wii, New Super Mario Bros Wii, New Super Mario Bros DS, Nintendogs) and 3 have a chance (Wii Fit plus, Brain Training, Mario Kart DS). I view it unlikely that more than 1-2 future titles will sell that much.

Before the 7th gen, 4 titles had sold 25 million. (Super Mario Bros, Pokemon Blue/Red, Tetris, Duck Hunt). This gen, 7-10 titles will sell that much.

Before the 7th gen,  7 titles had sold 20 million. (the beforementioned Pokemon Gold/Silver, San Andreas and Super Mario World). This gen, 12-15 titles will sell that much.

Before the 7th gen, 10 titles had sold 15 million (the beforementioned, Super Mario Bros 3, Super Mario Land, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire. This gen, 16-24 titles should sell that much.

I can't really go further down than 15 million for old titles just by glancing at the numbers, as I might miss out on some multiplats.