By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

Albion said:
oldschoolfool said:

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/06/why_isnt_soccer_more_popular_i.html     ------link.   This is an interesting article on why soccer is'nt more popular in America. What do you think about this?

I dont know why its not popular in general.But.

One thing I know is they look like dumb pussy's When they are trying bait the ref to call penelties.

I can't watch it just on that fact alone. Its at that moment that i lose intrest and never want to watch

a bunch of pussy's baiting ref's like no real men with any respect for themself would ever do.

I think acting like this is viewed mostly as a loser's attitude. Winners walk it off.

You know the saying "Take it like a man"  Soccer players never hurd of this saying.

I hope you don't watch basketball.

Around the Network

It's interesting to see how a simple question like this ends up in a big thread. Thought you guys didn't discuss soccer at all. But you should play it more, I mean, you have the best female team on the world (gives me jealousy it's not Brazil!) and a male team which was vide-champion of the Conferederations Cup, beating Spain and drawing with England today (what a blunder... Jabulani sucks)! It's not a kids' game at all (wish you could see how violent Argentina's soccer could turn into), it's just that you don't think it's mature enough for you.

You know... This makes me wonder: soccer is to football as casual games is to hardcore games discussion. Many people claim games like SMG and Pokémon aren't hardcore because aren't as violent as GoW, Halo, CoD etc. Quite interesting, because football is, in my opinion, a great session of violence (unlike Rugby). Have you ever stopped to think that this casual VS hardcore silly discussion could come from your opinions and preferences of football over soccer? That would be really interesting to me if it turned out to be at least a bit true.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
Kantor said:

Oh, and Soccer is an English word. I have nothing against English people who say "soccer"; it's a nickname for football.

I just don't like it when Americans say "soccer" when they use the original name to describe a game which doesn't really involve feet.

Why?  American Football was a game that evolved from english football in the early 1800s.  We kept the name Football. Were sorry, but were not about to change it to make the rest of the world feel better.   I dont know anyone over here that is lobbying you to change what you call Football (and I dont mean that in a negative way) Soccer.  We already had an established game called Football when what you call Football started being played here so we adopted the British slang term for Football and the game is called Soccer here.  So what if the ball isnt touched by the foot much in American Football.  Baseball doesnt have the ball touch the base much either.  Maybe we should rename Baseball "Throw, Catch and Hit Ball".

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

most american's compare watching soccer to watching paint dry... just saying...

I enjoy playing soccer, but it really a bore to watch.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Kasz216 said:
Albion said:
oldschoolfool said:

http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/06/why_isnt_soccer_more_popular_i.html     ------link.   This is an interesting article on why soccer is'nt more popular in America. What do you think about this?

One thing I know is they look like dumb pussy's When they are trying bait the ref to call penelties.

I can't watch it just on that fact alone. Its at that moment that i lose intrest and never want to watch

a bunch of pussy's baiting ref's like no real men with any respect for themself would ever do.

I think acting like this is viewed mostly as a loser's attitude. Winners walk it off.

You know the saying "Take it like a man"  Soccer players never hurd of this saying.

I watch Hockey my friend. basiketballs are for freeks of nature

Around the Network

because soccer is boring plus america sucks at soccer and who wants to watch something there country sucks at unlike basketball where america usually dominates and football is popular because i mean come on its football most people are brought up watch in football in the fall in winter every saturday and sunday and monday

bigjon said:

most american's compare watching soccer to watching paint dry... just saying...

I enjoy playing soccer, but it really a bore to watch.

It's only boring to watch when you have bad teams playing. For instance, most of who are not acquainted to football find it a crap when watching for the first time: the match isn't continuous; every time, they must stop and repositionate the teams (that's a real pain in the ass).

However, when you have quality teams such as Corithians (Ronaldo!), soccer is the best thing in the world. Interestingly, my opnion is exactly the opposite of yours: I love watching soccer (specially Corinthians' matches), but I hate playing it.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

i don't really understand why it can't gain interest now.  I don't know the stories of every country but i can tell you that 20 years ago soccer wasn't popular in Japan, Korea, and Finland and now it has become one of the most popular sports in those countries.  I'm sure many other countries are the same, those are just the ones i have experience with.  I was in Japan during the 2006 world cup and the whole country stopped when the game was on, the streets were all empty.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Albion said:
Kasz216 said:
Albion said:
oldschoolfool said:

Cause ripping your own teeth out of your head is totally for normal people.  :)

Kasz216 said:
Albion said:
Kasz216 said:
Albion said:
oldschoolfool said:

Cause ripping your own teeth out of your head is totally for normal people.  :)

yea hockey is a tough sport but basketball almost requires being a genetic freak.  Only the few extremely talented undersized players can compete in the NBA, otherwise you have to be in the less than 1% of the population freakishly tall crowd.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X