By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is'nt soccer more popular in America.

TomasPL said:

i would go with americans suck at football. that's why they copied rugby and named it football but were too scared so all handegg players have so much safety gear on them you can hardly know that there's a human under all of it. seriously american football players are pussies

that's how you play rugby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcGNfG6oawI

If you think American football is for wimps, I highly suggest you come try out for a semi-pro team. See what you think after some beefy 300lb black man has made you his woman.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
TomasPL said:

i would go with americans suck at football. that's why they copied rugby and named it football but were too scared so all handegg players have so much safety gear on them you can hardly know that there's a human under all of it. seriously american football players are pussies

when FIFA will demand 50 pounds of safety gear than football will be popular in US ;)

Americans don't like soccer much because in high school, everyone picks on the soccer kids...they call 'em the faeries of the field...so if it starts in high school, it just goes on like that.

Just waiting for that PS Vita to come out so I can play some full featured games on the go with that beautiful screen and control scheme...

mrstickball said:
TomasPL said:

If you think American football is for wimps, I highly suggest you come try out for a semi-pro team. See what you think after some beefy 300lb black man has made you his woman.

That rugby video was awesome.

TomasPL said:

My nightmares will now be filled with roid raging rugby players!  That was intense!!

Multiple reasons:

1. American, or "our", society is very NOW NOW NOW driven. People dont like the "slow pace" of soccer. 

2. Theres no violence, we will embrace anything with violence.

2a. Baseball excluded from 2 and 1 because its "our" past-time

3. Related to 2a our country has taken a huge nosedive in recent history, its always been bad but with the age of the internet and cable news its grown out of control, into wanting to construct a bubble around ourselves, thus if it aint american it aint for me, we dont dominate or even compete realistically with the brazils, italy's, spains or germanys.

4. We dont like change, the other sports have been established for a long long time on our soil, when soccer never really took off it never grew at the same pace and now its been outshined and people like to stick with what they know.

Yes im an american, so please dont give me the "dont tread on me" speech, i love my country but we are, on the whole, a majority of arrogant folks and have chips on our shoulders no matter what anyone says, not that i like it and not that i hate it, but its true.

Around the Network

The reason Americans are not up to par with other nations with soccer, is that our best athletes go into the other major sports. The reason its not as popular here? Google that Simpsons soccer video, and that tells the tale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOHdTQd6H8

steverhcp02 said:

2. Theres no violence

Er... you've never heard of soccer hooligans and riots?

I'm convinced hooliganism is a direct result of soccer being so goddamned boring.

oldschoolfool said:
mrstickball said:
TomasPL said:

That rugby video was awesome.

Yes, the Rugby video was awesome. That is why American football is so popular - it has the hits and insane stuff like Rugby but is more American-ized. I'd gladly take either sport over soccer by a mile.

Oh, and for those arguing about soccer....What about the popularity of cricket in old British colonies? Can't some people be allowed to like different sports?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

You know what sport really need to take off in the U.S.?  POLO!  If I can ever gather some friends, some horses, and some mallets, it is ON!

d21lewis said:

There's 75 basketball courts between my house and the mailbox.  There's probably one soccer goal in my entire city......and somebody probably has a Mitsubishi parked in it.

I played soccer for a little while in high school.  I must admit that it was fun to play but the score was always 0 to 0 except for a few occasions.  It's fun to play but not too much fun to watch.  I'll also note that ice hockey is waning in popularity as of late, too.  I don't know why.  Maybe Americans have a problem with nets?

I wonder what kind of neighbourhood you live in?  I have an equal balance of bball nets and soccer/food ball field, along with a few baseball fields and tennis courts.  I guess i'll just say im lucky?