By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's official: Playstation 4 is coming in a week

CGI-Quality said:
darthdevidem01 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Man, if only this were a universal, common practice around here.

OT: Very much confirmed to be fake.

Do you believe its ACTUALLY Fake CGI?

I'm not buying this from SONY, I thunk its a nifty way to market Firmware 4.0. 

This is the same company that said there would be no PS3 price drop officially 2 days before they announced one.

Or maybe we just want to believe its true now.

Sony will probably have some sort of new package containing the premium PSN service, 3D enabled games, and Move. But the PS4? Nah, I stand by my prediction that the earliest we'll see/hear anything concrete on it is 2011/2012ish.

Do you think Sony would make a PS3 (Plus sign) or something like that?

It would be a PS3 but with a slight CPU upgrade so it could run 3D while running all PS3 games, and it would be bundled with MOVE.

Around the Network

Well, if true the PS4 would have to have a completely new physical design etc or else it would be epic fail.

But damn that commercial looks too good to be an amateur fake.

I hope this is a good firmware update, but Sony is going to have to be careful not to cause confusion

Will this make people ask if their PS3 is now outdated if they start banging on about a PS4? you don't want to cause confusion.

Saying that, i do think that advert is too good to be a fake, there's something to it. I'm guessing its about 3D, and new firmware, not actually a PS4.

My view is that Sony learnt a lot from last year and all the leaks, they probably brought in some heavy hitting PR and security experts to manage information loss.

so they've pulled a Kansas City Shuffle - got everyone looking right (at Killzone 3, LBP2, etc) and they've gone right (huge new firmware update and price cut) and surprised everyone.

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

Cthulhu said:

So will it change the number from "3" to "4" on my console? /jk

I'm expecting to wake up one morning and see steam coming out of the PS3 before it transforms Optimus Prime style into a new console with the 3 replaced with a 4 wherever it ends up on this newly born console.

If this doesn't happen then Sony will never see another penny from me.

/serious.

VGChartz

Around the Network
milkyjoe said:
Cthulhu said:

So will it change the number from "3" to "4" on my console? /jk

I'm expecting to wake up one morning and see steam coming out of the PS3 before it transforms Optimus Prime style into a new console with the 3 replaced with a 4 wherever it ends up on this newly born console.

If this doesn't happen then Sony will never see another penny from me.

/serious.

I bet Sony is on top of a mountain, with thunderstorms and its real scary,

<-Sony HQ

and there is gonna be a big red button and Sony is gonna push it

<- Big Red Button!

then EVERY model PS3 will break at the same time, forcing you to upgrade to the PS4!

<- YLOD!

MS did the same thing, except they did it launch day for the 360

/Lolz JK

I thought these ads were confirmed to have been made by some colleges kids for a film class?

Very few of the top PS2 games were casual.  The PS2 had over 500 Green rated games at Metacritic during its time far more than any other console listed at Metacritic in genres including racing, shooting (the only genre the xboxes have ever had an adantage over PS consoles in), action, adventure, and rpgs.  It had very strong appeal to core gamers.

On the other hand, the Wii has the least amount of green games of all  3 current gen consoles by a wide margin this gen.

It's true that many of the core gamers did opt for the 360 earlier this gen (although maybe not so many of those interested in Japanese rpgs, adventure, and racing games did so), thus taking away some core gamers that would have purchased a PS3.

However, the people that held out for jrpg, adventure, and core racing games and the many people that still haven't upgraded to blu-ray would be the ones willing to pick up PS3 / 4 at this point in time.

It wouldn't be enough to allow Sony to beat Wii overall this gen, but it would be enough definitely to have PS3 beat or be on par Wii each year for the rest of this gen which I think would be quite the feather in Sony's cap.

End of gen estimates

Wii -- 100 to 115 million

PS3 -- 75 to 100 million

360 -- 40 to 60 million

The other os function sdidnt use a dedicated core.

8 cores, one of turned off to increase chip yeild, (it replaces a nother core if it dies) And another core is security. It handles all of the encryption for blueray and game code atc. The other 6 cores are free for developer use. You can see in some Uncharted 2 dev videos they have a video of spu usage, there are 6 bars.

If they opened up the reserve spu, suddenly thousands of ps3's would stop working, because they already use the spu in place of another, defective one.

This is how the gpu and spus play together. The gpu is much more powerful, say a certain effect takes 12 ms on the gpu. On an spu that same effect takes 36ms. But, if you spread the processing for that effect over the six spu's now it only takes 6ms.

Adding another spu wouldnt make a huge difference. The reason ps3 games dont look even better isn't because of processing power, its because of avaiable RAM.

There are two ways to produce a 3d image actually run. You can either cut the amount of detail until the image takes half the time to draw, or you let the image draw in twice the time and cut the framerate in half.

That said, less detail is less noticable in 3d. Also, a game build for 3d has this draw two images thing in mind, so it's optimized.

Ps4 just refers to the 3d capability. And hopefully ps4 wont require glassed for 3d!

I don't want a ps4. Im still broke from buying my ps3!

johnappseed84 said:

Very few of the top PS2 games were casual.  The PS2 had over 500 Green rated games at Metacritic during its time far more than any other console listed at Metacritic in genres including racing, shooting (the only genre the xboxes have ever had an adantage over PS consoles in), action, adventure, and rpgs.  It had very strong appeal to core gamers.

On the other hand, the Wii has the least amount of green games of all  3 current gen consoles by a wide margin this gen.

It's true that many of the core gamers didn't opt for the 360 earlier this gen (although maybe not so many of those interested in Japanese rpgs, adventure games, racing and Japanese style rpgs probably did so).

The people that held out for these types of games and the many people that still haven't upgraded to blu-ray would be the ones willing to pick up PS3 / 4 at this point in time.

It wouldn't be enough to allow Sony to beat Wii overall this gen, but it would be enough definitely to have PS3 beat or be on par Wii each year for the rest of this gen which I think would be quite the feather in Sony's cap.

End of gen estimates

Wii -- 100 to 115 million

PS3 -- 75 to 100 million

360 -- 40 to 60 million

Pray tell how PS3 will get a 15 Million gap between itself and xbox 360....

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey