By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 1-3 sold more than the Halo series combined

Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

no they would have not launched Wii at $199

they just can't increase $249 for a game bundling

in 2008 Wii was just profiting $10 on Wii's $249 bundle on the Wii hardware,Wii sports cost wasn't even in it

JAPAN alot of things come into play as people are gonna buy nintendo anyways also local shipping and inside currency makes it cheap

when Wii was launched nintendo name was in disgrace in WW in console apart from JAPAN so they just couldn't slap a $249 price tag just to include a game

So you're saying they lost money on Wii in Japan per unit?  Or that shipping costs from China to the US (versus Japan) in bulk account for $40 per unit?  ;)

I think you need to recheck whatever "source" you pulled that $10-profit-in-2008 figure from... 

lol its even less

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201833.html

im loving this. bring on the facts! keep em comming?

lol

i actually wasn't searching for the proof but something else and got this

i just couldn't stand that fellow syaing Nintendo just slapped $49 and increased Wii price just to include Wii Sports and that $249 was just becuase of $49 of Wii Sports..........lol

Uh, maybe you should read the actual article you sourced?  The same Forbes analyst who quoted the Wii margin at $6 in 2008 also quoted it's MSRP as $260 in 2008 (and PS3's as $300 in 2008).  lol.

Meanwhile we have Japanese sources from 2006 saying Wii production cost was about $158 USD and it's wholesale price to retail at $195.99.  Going by your Forbes figures, Nintendo would be losing money per unit anyway from day one on...

i am not debating the JAPAN profit but USA

that ways in 2008 PS3 fat were making profit in JAPAN too but making a hevay loss here because of recession

lol.  So you're really saying there's a $50 price differential between US and Japan?  Was Nintendo fedexing those Wii's individually 2-day service or something? ;)

And Nintendo didn't make any line/scale/revision savings over 2 years from launch?  Come on... your source can't even get the pricepoints right, it's clearly off.

Again, without Wii Sports (like Japan) Wii would been about $200 (like Japan).  And they'd still having been in the black.

I don't know the whole thing but Wii was barely making $10-15 in 2008 and Wii sports wasn't the reason it was $249

that way PS3 in JAPAN was making profit in 2008 but making $40 loss in US at the same price points

have are you kidding me that you think they would price Wii sports in Wii's price? - if that was the case why not sell them standalone

the gamespot thing wasn't my source,i was searching for something else but it came up and cause we were having this conversation i posted.my source said $10 profit for Wii.it could be that some was killed by recession too

but not for Wii sports...........lol

lol.  So what were PS3's pricepoints in Japan and America in 2008?  Why would a $40 differential there even be comparable to Wii in 2006?  I mean, let's actually get down to it then, prove your point?  Justify a $50 difference US/Japan in 2006 for me, I'm asking how exactly you're arriving at that?  Y'know, since that seems to be the trust of your couldn't-be-$199-even-though-it-was-in-Japan argument.

Also, how about that $10 source?  

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
jarrod said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

no they would have not launched Wii at $199

they just can't increase $249 for a game bundling

in 2008 Wii was just profiting $10 on Wii's $249 bundle on the Wii hardware,Wii sports cost wasn't even in it

JAPAN alot of things come into play as people are gonna buy nintendo anyways also local shipping and inside currency makes it cheap

when Wii was launched nintendo name was in disgrace in WW in console apart from JAPAN so they just couldn't slap a $249 price tag just to include a game

So you're saying they lost money on Wii in Japan per unit?  Or that shipping costs from China to the US (versus Japan) in bulk account for $40 per unit?  ;)

I think you need to recheck whatever "source" you pulled that $10-profit-in-2008 figure from... 

lol its even less

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201833.html

im loving this. bring on the facts! keep em comming?

lol

i actually wasn't searching for the proof but something else and got this

i just couldn't stand that fellow syaing Nintendo just slapped $49 and increased Wii price just to include Wii Sports and that $249 was just becuase of $49 of Wii Sports..........lol

Uh, maybe you should read the actual article you sourced?  The same Forbes analyst who quoted the Wii margin at $6 in 2008 also quoted it's MSRP as $260 in 2008 (and PS3's as $300 in 2008).  lol.

Meanwhile we have Japanese sources from 2006 saying Wii production cost was about $158 USD and it's wholesale price to retail at $195.99.  Going by your Forbes figures, Nintendo would be losing money per unit anyway from day one on...

i am not debating the JAPAN profit but USA

that ways in 2008 PS3 fat were making profit in JAPAN too but making a hevay loss here because of recession

lol.  So you're really saying there's a $50 price differential between US and Japan?  Was Nintendo fedexing those Wii's individually 2-day service or something? ;)

And Nintendo didn't make any line/scale/revision savings over 2 years from launch?  Come on... your source can't even get the pricepoints right, it's clearly off.

Again, without Wii Sports (like Japan) Wii would been about $200 (like Japan).  And they'd still having been in the black.

I don't know the whole thing but Wii was barely making $10-15 in 2008 and Wii sports wasn't the reason it was $249

that way PS3 in JAPAN was making profit in 2008 but making $40 loss in US at the same price points

have are you kidding me that you think they would price Wii sports in Wii's price? - if that was the case why not sell them standalone

the gamespot thing wasn't my source,i was searching for something else but it came up and cause we were having this conversation i posted.my source said $10 profit for Wii.it could be that some was killed by recession too

but not for Wii sports...........lol

lol.  So what were PS3's pricepoints in Japan and America in 2008?  Why would a $40 differential there even be comparable to Wii in 2006?  I mean, let's actually get down to it then, prove your point?  Justify a $50 difference US/Japan in 2006 for me, I'm asking how exactly you're arriving at that?  Y'know, since that seems to be the trust of your couldn't-be-$199-even-though-it-was-in-Japan argument.

Also, how about that $10 source?  

THE $10 SOURCE,OLD ARTICLE FIND ON UR OWN

the point about PS3 was that they were losing $40 but still profiting in JAPAN,i don't know why but they were loosing money in US

likewise WII could making money even at $199 in japan but loogin at the same price in US,i don't know what cost these but it cost no matter like did on the PS3

and even if we scrape all this and go back to ur firs point,No company bundles a game and charge for it.even if they were profitng the whole thing for saying it wasn't for Wii spots pricing but for the Wii system

if really thats the case then why not release a lower priced system?

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus have out sold God of War, Team ICO, Uncharted and Resistance series' combined.

Now can we never make a thread like this again?

4 ≈ One

the games that really come to mind are pokemon games!

Kinect! who needs video games!

Hyruken said:
pizzahut451 said:
Hyruken said:

It is interesting that he talks about the first 3 which range across two consoles. Because if we look at it like that then he is of course right. GT1 sold 4m, GT2 sold 3.9m and GT3 sold 7m, which is a total of around 15m units. Pretty impressive.

However the point of what Arron was saying was to say Halo 3 has basically sold loads on it's own.

This guy has basically proved what he was saying by having to combine games to get to Halo's figures.

Because by that logic he could come back and say well Halo 1 sold 5m. Halo 2 sold 6.65m and Halo 3 sold 8m. Which is almost 20m units. Which is more then what GT series sold.

What is more interesting is if we look at the last 3 GT's sales they are GT4 Prologue sold 100k, GT4 2.8m and GT5 Prologue 1m. Total of  3.9m. Which is pretty much the same sales at ODST.

So really if you think about it this guy should of probably have stayed quiet because all Greenburg has to do is come back and say all Halo products (6) have sold 25m units while all Gran Turismo products (8) have sold 19m units.

So not really a great comeback.

except that this guy is talking about world wide sales. And its A FACT GT1,GT2 and GT3 >>>>> Halo,1,2,3 and ODST (and possibly Halo Wars. So 3 gran turismo games sold more than 4 (or 5) Halo games

But i thought we were talking about NPD i.e americas? It clearly say's that in his remarks.

Talking about worldwide is totally different. Because as we all know Japan do not embrace western games/products like the rest of the world do. But if we are talking about western style games and sales in the west then what Greenberg say's is right. Naturally you can spin numbers to try and counter those remarks in anyway you like, as others have mentioned you can just mention "Mario sales" and it is all irelivent!

the MS guy talked about NPD sales. the guy here is talking about worldwide sales. he clearly said ''55 million sold'' and that means hes talking about WW sales.

And you dont have to include Japan, GT is more popular in Others as well. But not including Japan because of ''japanese hate everything western'' excuse is dumb. Japan is part of the world isnt it?

And Mario had 5 time more games than Halo and Gran Turismo combined.  And i can juist mention ''Farmwille sales'' or ''Solitere sales''  (and soon its gonna be ''Modern Warfare'' sales) and mario would be irelivent.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:

Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus have out sold God of War, Team ICO, Uncharted and Resistance series' combined.

we should really count sales for video games not some exercise boards

pizzahut451 said:
Dgc1808 said:

Ok... Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. have outsold Uncharted, God of War, Motorstorm, Team ICO and Resistance series combined.

4 ≈ One

and just like i said in that other thread about this nonsence.

WHO CARES?

Dgc1808 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Dgc1808 said:

Ok... Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros. have outsold Uncharted, God of War, Motorstorm, Team ICO and Resistance series combined.

and Pinball and Minesweeper outsold MK and NSMB...

pizzahut451 said:
Dgc1808 said:
pizzahut451 said:
Dgc1808 said:

and Pinball and Minesweeper outsold MK and NSMB...

What's your point?

4 ≈ One