By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why the Wii Shortage is Legit

Enough with the rumors of constrained supply of the Wii during this holiday season! Many otherwise rational people believe that Nintendo is purposely causing a shortage of its still highly-demanded home console. Hopefully I can help you understand not just why that's economically preposterous and bad business, but also patently false.

Before we dive into the real reason for the continued shortage of Wii consoles on the open market, let's first entertain the idea that Nintendo is, indeed, scheming to somehow ruin Christmas by holding back on a horde of Wiis that K. Rool would envy (if you don't get that reference already, then you need to travel over to the Virtual Console shop). Nintendo does not stand to make any more money by sitting on a massive inventory of Wii units. Perhaps you think it has done this so as to raise the average price of its system on eBay. This makes no sense, as Nintendo still only receives the portion of the $250 price tag that it was already owed when the console was first sold. If Nintendo were truly savvy in this sense, it would itself put a large number of Wiis up for auction, so that it could reap all of the extra profit that the market is willing to bear.

If you don't think it's doing it to jack up the price, then perhaps you believe this is a controlled shortage meant to build hype. I find this theory highly suspect as well. The Wii has now been on the market for more than a year. Most hardcore gamers planning to acquire the system have found a way to do so, so this only leaves the mainstream crowd. For 99% of the mainstream audience, its value proposition for the Wii is built solely on some awareness of Wii Sports. Add to that the fact that the Wii is now racing tightly with the Xbox 360 for first place in this generation. Had a shortage been created purposely, Nintendo would be using a must-have title– namely Super Mario Galaxy– as the internal catalyst. The situation would be akin to that following the launch of Halo 3 for the Xbox 360, where the legendary hype surrounding the game resulted in a spike in demand for the system. Yet for a controlled shortage to make sense, Nintendo would have to be in a situation where it needed a new flagship title to rally around. It doesn't
need any such thing. Wii Sports remains a good enough reason for most consumers to purchase the system if they find one available. An example of where a controlled shortage might work, for instance, would be of the PlayStation 3 near the release of Metal Gear Solid 4. This is because it would help to accentuate just how well the game was received when it launches, and send a message to gamers that they need to get on board. To wager on a dangerous controlled shortage technique like this, Nintendo would need to be struggling with its existing strategy, which it is not.

If Nintendo were manufacturing this shortage, Mario Galaxy would be receiving all of the attention.

Hopefully you're now convinced that Nintendo has no reason to create a virtual shortage. But why, you may ask, does supply remain so limited? Why can't it simply make more Wii units more quickly? The answer lies not in any production facility, but within Nintendo's boardroom. Nintendo, as always, remains a cautious operation, like many Japanese companies. Obviously Satoru Iwata and Nintendo's board of directors must be greatly pleased by the Wii's success, yet they all know failure all too well. They experienced disappointment with the Nintendo 64 and even more so with the GameCube. During these trying times, their number one goal was to remain consistently profitable, even with a smaller share of the market. This is why Nintendo has never sold a console at a significant loss, as Sony and Microsoft do, and never will. Unlike its competitors, Nintendo is not diversified in non-gaming industries. It retains the ability to remain profitable above all else in order to cope with the fact that gaming is all it has.

"To increase supply Nintendo would need to invest in a whole new facility, something it is unwilling to do. "

Obviously Nintendo is making money on every Wii sold now, but the company has now bumped against an economic break point, where the marginal cost for each Wii beyond what it is making now increases significantly. Nintendo already has several contracted production facilities working at full capacity manufacturing Wiis. To increase supply, it can't simply pay the workers to stay longer or leave the machines on for more hours of the day, because frankly the facilities are already pushed to their absolute limits. Indeed, to increase supply Nintendo would need to invest in a whole new facility, something it is unwilling to do.

Nintendo will not expand into another production facility until the company is confident that the current level of demand can be carried forward for several years. The initial start-up costs of building a new facility, with all of the necessary equipment, would be enormous. This would hurt the company's profitability in the short term. That is acceptable to most investors if they can be assured that the investment will pay off in time. However, Nintendo has no such assurance regarding the Wii. It's entirely possible that demand tapers off following this holiday season. By the time Nintendo brought a new facility on line, it could no longer be in need of the increased supply and find themselves with a number of facilities operating at 70-80% capacity instead of 100% like now.

This is the same conundrum that faces oil companies when trying to decide whether to drill new wells. Sometimes, oil wells can be very expensive to set up, especially if they are beneath the ocean or particularly rough patches of earth. To be profitable, oil companies need oil prices to stay at a certain level. Would it make sense for oil companies to drill wells right now that require a price per barrel of $100? I think not; there is no assurance that oil prices will remain so high for years to come. On the other hand, does it make sense to drill somewhere where the cost would be $60 per barrel? Probably so, as prices are not likely to dip below that level.

Hence the supply shortage. It is the safer route for Nintendo to simply make as many Wiis as it can with what it already has. This obviously frustrates some Nintendo executives, including American President Reggie Fils-Aime, who sees this excess holiday demand as a "missed opportunity". Perhaps so, but the more calculating minds in Tokyo have this one right: success today is no guarantee of future returns. Just as swiftly as Nintendo was swept back into power, it may again lose its seat to Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo is simply protecting its business from unnecessary risk by not getting overly excited by the Wii's success, and that is something Nintendo fans should be thankful for: the best thing to ensure Nintendo's continued importance in the gaming
industry is to make sure that the company remains financially healthy for decades to come. Of course, if that's too hard for the kids to understand this Christmas, there's always eBay.

Around the Network

This is the perfect explanation of why Nintendo took a whole year to double its production. Also, shows why John Lucas' idea of 60m+ units sold by 2009 is probably not going to happen. As Nintendo will probably continue to stay around the 1.8m per month production.

This type of sales volume is complete unheard of and Nintendo is being rightfully cautious. They don't want to hire some 3rd party manufacturer to only have to shut it down after a few months. That would greatly hurt their bottom line. This is why my estimation for next year is a MAX of 45m sold. I actually think it will be closer to 40m.

Well the article doesn't provide much proof, pnly some logical reasoning, yet one does have to agree with what the article states, Nintendo does still need to be cautious. They wouldn't like to go back to third place just like that again.

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

If nintendo plans to start selling to China next year, and it continues to sell out in March of 08, I expect Nintendo to increase production. Without an increase, they could sell 40mil by end of 08. I expect an increase, but probably not enough to reach 60mil.

I read the big headline where it said that Nintendo would be unwilling to "invest in a new facility" which doesn't make any sense because they don't make the Wiis in their own facilities!

I'm sure the article is complete crap since their premise is in no way based in reality, and i'm not going to bother actually reading it. But the Wii shortage is legitimate because it isn't as easy as people think to make millions of extra units per month (or a million extra per month).

And even at 1.8 million, they won't meet demand for a while.

Around the Network

Totally agree with TheBigFatJ - in order to increase production you dont have to go out and buy new facilities, there are other ways.

I'm sure it's not that black and white - yet more internet spouted guess work by soembody who has no more clue than we do. If Demand is just as big after the holiday season then i'm sure Nintendo will find a way to match the DS for number of Wii's shipped.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

"I read the big headline where it said that Nintendo would be unwilling to "invest in a new facility" which doesn't make any sense because they don't make the Wiis in their own facilities!"

It means getting a contract for more factories. That does not disprove this.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

But Nintendo is trying to expand into China and Korea and still needs to expand for Eastern Europe. Oh, and America, too :)

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Obviously the don't know much about production. He made it sound like ramping up product manufacturing, with various components, is as easy as upping software production. And i wouldn't consider calling Nintendos production increases conservative. After all, Nintendo more than tripled Wii production within a year. And i expect, at march 08, production will be upped to 2,3M per month.

Anyway, the manufacturing process, from supplier to the end product, isn't simple. It's easy to look at the final assembly line and say, that it needs more capasity. But let's look at few main parts in Wii:
-CPU
-GPU
-Motherboard
-Optical drive the optical drive has also couple of components, that has it's own suppliers, biggest parts being laser, motor and cover
-Internal memory
-Radio transmitters/receivers
-Cover
-The Gamecube controller and memory card connectors
-Sensor bars
-Controllers have various components from different suppliers
Every components production needs to be ramped up, and the more customised parts are being used, more harder (and of course more expensive) production ramps will be. Basically the limiting factor in production increases is, that what is smallest quantity of custom parts, what some certain supplier is capable/willing to supply and in the other end, the largest quantity some other supplier is capable/willing to supply. And these two quantities has to meet in final assembly.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.