By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why people are overestimating the Wii's life time sales

Girl Gamer Elite said:
The PS Eye, like most selling points for the PS3, is impressive only in what it potentially can do, not what it has done thus far.

While the Wii and its peripherals may seem unremarkable and for the most part are, they manage to make enough people happy to make them and the Wii successes.

Split hairs all you like, it's not going to change the fact of which console is selling better or appeals to the larger demographic of consumers.

Check reviews for Eye of Judgement. I think you'll find many people are impressed with the PS Eye already. There are some clever programs that have been released on PSN as well. The PSN in general needs more publicity because it's probably the best place to go for cheap content right now.

I'm not sure which peripherals are successes for the Wii yet, but I certainly wouldn't include the Zapper.

Your last statement shows why this site is biased towards the Wii. However, the thread is saying people are overestimating the life time sales, which has nothing to do with trying to win an argument by saying the Wii is selling more right now.

There is no splitting hairs with the graphical output of the Wii, either.

Around the Network
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
The PS Eye, like most selling points for the PS3, is impressive only in what it potentially can do, not what it has done thus far.

While the Wii and its peripherals may seem unremarkable and for the most part are, they manage to make enough people happy to make them and the Wii successes.

Split hairs all you like, it's not going to change the fact of which console is selling better or appeals to the larger demographic of consumers.

Check reviews for Eye of Judgement. I think you'll find many people are impressed with the PS Eye already. There are some clever programs that have been released on PSN as well. The PSN in general needs more publicity because it's probably the best place to go for cheap content right now.

I'm not sure which peripherals are successes for the Wii yet, but I certainly wouldn't include the Zapper.

Your last statement shows why this site is biased towards the Wii. However, the thread is saying people are overestimating the life time sales, which has nothing to do with trying to win an argument by saying the Wii is selling more right now.

Reviews don't pay the bills and clearly don't move games or consoles. If the PS Eye is so remarkable, why has it sold so dissapointedly?

And I don't recall mentioning graphics in regards to anything, maybe you feel throwing that in there gives you the upper hand, but to me it just illustrates all the more how much the market can give or take graphics in gaming at this point in time. If you want graphics, play on a PC. Stop trying to use such fringe rationale as grounds to allegde the Wii is anything other than the most appealing and sound option in gaming at this point in time.

Call me biased all you want, but it does little more than paint your own bias for the PS3 when you try to argue theoretical aspects of a console's value and technological achievements as being more important than sales and consumer appeal.

And Split hairs all you like, you're just trying to negotiate your denial of the PS3's failure to recapture the market it once held so tightly. Be a man about it, and accept facts for what they are. The defeated in War can try and rewrite the History books all they want but it still doesn't change the fact they were defeated.

Girl Gamer Elite said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Reviews don't pay the bills and clearly don't move games or consoles. If the PS Eye is so remarkable, why has it sold so dissapointedly?

And I don't recall mentioning graphics in regards to anything, maybe you feel throwing that in there gives you the upper hand, but to me it just illustrates all the more how much the market can give or take graphics in gaming at this point in time. If you want graphics, play on a PC. Stop trying to use such fringe rationale as grounds to allegde the Wii is anything other than the most appealing and sound Gaming option out there.

Call me biased all you want, but it does little more than paint your own bias for the PS3 in trying to argue theoretical aspects of a console are more important than sales and appeal.

And Split hairs all you like, you're just trying to negotiate your denial of the PS3's failure to recapture the market it once held so tightly. Be a man about it, and accept facts for what they are. The defeated in War can try and rewrite the History books all they want but it still doesn't change the fact they were defeated.

Why did Zack and Wiki sell so dissapointedly? Okami? Ico?

The PS Eye will have plenty of chances to take off.

I've been mentioning graphics in this thread for some time. The whole argument about controls started because of the graphics argument. I'm merely going back to the original points. The Wii can't do enough to dominate the console market. There is too big of a gap of features and power.

These "fringe" opinions of mine are shared by many. Your only argument is that the Wii has sold more so far. Again, not to keep repeating myself but you seem to be missing my points, the current lead does not guarantee the domination that some are predicting (john lucas).

At least I have both consoles and have an informed opinion. I've said throughout this thread that both consoles have their pluses and minuses.

You seem to think that the only factor for future sales is current market lead. I happen to think that's an outdated way to look at the industry (not to mention software sales are not that impressive for the Wii).

But, besides that, you say all the PS3 does is show potential and not results. I do not think that Zack and Wiki is bad game because it hasn't sold well. I don't think MoH: H2's lackluster sales proves it doesn't have the best execution of FPS controls on the Wii so far. You see, sales do not always indicate a fulfilling of potential. You said all the PS3 does is show potential and doesn't excecute, and yet there are examples of how the PS Eye has already been successful. Time will tell if it sells millions of PS Eyes, but that's not the only way to judge a product.

The only reason to be concerned with sales is assurance that more games will follow. The PS3 is doing well enough that the majority of multiplatform games are also on the PS3. The PS Eye, even if it doesn't sell millions, is still there and can be a lot of fun. As long as more content follows, I do not care if it sells.

That said, I do not think the Wii will dominate the hardware sales like many are predicting. That's the whole point of this topic. You are saying it's clear that because the Wii is now leading that it must continue to dominate, but that is not the case. You want it to succeed. I want all the consoles to succeed. Your cockiness in this situation is laughable. I'm not in a war.

Face it, Windbane, you're just kidding yourself. While you're opinions may be shared by many, its not enough to make the PS3 a success or stop the Wii from dominating.

The more you try and argue that extranious factors justify the Ps3, the more desperate you just make your argument look. Your arguments are nothing more than the condolences given by those to their console of choice which has failed to live up its glory.

Listening to your argument is like trying to listen to a Confederate sympathizer argue how the South really won the Civil war through atrition, just that the North had more men to throw away. In the end, the North won for a variety of reasons, and in the end that was all that mattered.

What is the big deal with buttons? Provided the game is designed to make proper use of the controls in question, it should be a moot point.

these are just my opinions:

Wavebird/Gamecube >(greater than)> PS2 controller.
It may have two less buttons(not counting the two buttons built into the joysticks) and a smaller right joystick, but the ergonomics is so much better. It just hugs my hand so nicely. the PS2 controllers have always felt blocky, small, and uncomfortable to hold for longer than an hour.

Wiimote >(both greater and less than)The lack of buttons can indeed be limiting, and sixaxis technically has better motion sensitivity, but motion sensitivity just DOES NOT work well when you're holding the one controller in both hands. Have you ever driven your car or been in a streetfight while handcuffed? That's what it feels like, and consequently why Sixaxis has yet to make good use of motion controls.
However there are some games that the Wiimote simply is not capable of doing well. I could never possibly imagine trying to play something like twilight princess with only the Wiimote alone.

Wiimote + Nunchuck >(far greater than) Sixaxis
The limiting factors of the Wiimote by itself have been removed. A joystick and two buttons are added along with a second motion sensor. this is far better that what the Sixaxis does as both hands are free to move independently of each other. No handcuffs here. Any issues with not having a second joystick are made mute by the proper use of motion sensitivity and the pointer on the Wiimote.

Wiimote + Nunchuck >(greater than)> Mouse + keyboard
okay, I'll give the keyboard that it has more buttons, yippee. but personally, I'm not too interested in trying to figure out 50 different buttons. I prefer having any button I'm going to press to be right under my fingertips, and not to have to worry about missing the key I wanted and doing something entirely wrong.
If a game is designed well, most of these things that are set to a keypress should be able to be tied to button combinations and motion, or made as icons on the screen which can be selected with the Wiimote pointer.

Wiiboard >(probably better than)> PSeye
(speculation)
The PSeye has potential, but the software just isn't strong enough to handle the shape recognition and ignore extraneous information. if someone walks behind you or in front of you, that can end up getting interpreted by the eye as if you had made the motion yourself.
The PSeye could be greatly improved just by incorporating 2 cameras, which would allow it to analyze 3d motion. As it stands, it is really only capable of interpreting 2d images. Along with this, you have to watch teh screen and try to figure out where you're supposed to be standing and putting your arms, when IRL, there's nothing there. With teh Wiiboard, you are given your frame of reference so you can tie what is happening in the game to what you need to do in reality.
(end speculation)

Wii Zapper Seriously. i don't know what nintendo was thinking with this one. I've seen better third party peripherals, and quite frankly, I'd rather play with shit on my wiimote than play with the Wii Zapper.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:
windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

And I don't recall mentioning graphics in regards to anything, maybe you feel throwing that in there gives you the upper hand, but to me it just illustrates all the more how much the market can give or take graphics in gaming at this point in time. If you want graphics, play on a PC. Stop trying to use such fringe rationale as grounds to allegde the Wii is anything other than the most appealing and sound Gaming option out there.

Call me biased all you want, but it does little more than paint your own bias for the PS3 in trying to argue theoretical aspects of a console are more important than sales and appeal.

Why did Zack and Wiki sell so dissapointedly? Okami? Ico?

The PS Eye will have plenty of chances to take off.

I've been mentioning graphics in this thread for some time. The whole argument about controls started because of the graphics argument. I'm merely going back to the original points. The Wii can't do enough to dominate the console market. There is too big of a gap of features and power.

These "fringe" opinions of mine are shared by many. Your only argument is that the Wii has sold more so far. Again, not to keep repeating myself but you seem to be missing my points, the current lead does not guarantee the domination that some are predicting (john lucas).

At least I have both consoles and have an informed opinion. I've said throughout this thread that both consoles have their pluses and minuses.

You seem to think that the only factor for future sales is current market lead. I happen to think that's an outdated way to look at the industry (not to mention software sales are not that impressive for the Wii).

But, besides that, you say all the PS3 does is show potential and not results. I do not think that Zack and Wiki is bad game because it hasn't sold well. I don't think MoH: H2's lackluster sales proves it doesn't have the best execution of FPS controls on the Wii so far. You see, sales do not always indicate a fulfilling of potential. You said all the PS3 does is show potential and doesn't excecute, and yet there are examples of how the PS Eye has already been successful. Time will tell if it sells millions of PS Eyes, but that's not the only way to judge a product.

The only reason to be concerned with sales is assurance that more games will follow. The PS3 is doing well enough that the majority of multiplatform games are also on the PS3. The PS Eye, even if it doesn't sell millions, is still there and can be a lot of fun. As long as more content follows, I do not care if it sells.

That said, I do not think the Wii will dominate the hardware sales like many are predicting. That's the whole point of this topic. You are saying it's clear that because the Wii is now leading that it must continue to dominate, but that is not the case. You want it to succeed. I want all the consoles to succeed. Your cockiness in this situation is laughable. I'm not in a war.

In which generation did a console outsell its competition by a margin of (over) 2 to 1 for over a year and fail to lead at the end of the generation?

Much like the DS vs. The PSP, this generation has been decided and gamers choose the system which was much more affordable and was focused on gaming rather than multimedia features or processing power ...

Girl Gamer Elite said:

Face it, Windbane, you're just kidding yourself. While you're opinions may be shared by many, its not enough to make the PS3 a success or stop the Wii from dominating.

The more you try and argue that extranious factors justify the Ps3, the more desperate you just make your argument look. Your arguments are nothing more than the condolences given by those to their console of choice which has failed to live up its glory.

Listening to your argument is like trying to listen to a Confederate sympathizer argue how the South really won the Civil war through atrition, just that the North had more men to throw away. In the end, the North won for a variety of reasons, and in the end that was all that mattered.

Comparing console sales to a real war is insulting to humanity.  Stay on topic and actually respond to what people say. 

HappySqurriel said:

In which generation did a console outsell its competition by a margin of (over) 2 to 1 for over a year and fail to lead at the end of the generation?

Much like the DS vs. The PSP, this generation has been decided and gamers choose the system which was much more affordable and was focused on gaming rather than multimedia features or processing power ...

There has been no generation such as the one we are in. The videogame industry isn't very old.

windbane said:
Girl Gamer Elite said:

Comparing console sales to a real war is insulting to humanity.  Stay on topic and actually respond to what people say. 

I am on topic and have more than adequately adressed all of your points. I'm sorry you feel trying to drag this down with more of your fringe arguments will give you the upper hand, but all it does is show just how out of touch you are on the matter.

And the war comparison was relevant and quite poetic, if you don't like it, try making better arguments.

Grey Acumen said:
What is the big deal with buttons? Provided the game is designed to make proper use of the controls in question, it should be a moot point.

these are just my opinions:

Wavebird/Gamecube >(greater than)> PS2 controller.
It may have two less buttons(not counting the two buttons built into the joysticks) and a smaller right joystick, but the ergonomics is so much better. It just hugs my hand so nicely. the PS2 controllers have always felt blocky, small, and uncomfortable to hold for longer than an hour.

Wiimote >(both greater and less than)< Sixaxis
The lack of buttons can indeed be limiting, and sixaxis technically has better motion sensitivity, but motion sensitivity just DOES NOT work well when you're holding the one controller in both hands. Have you ever driven your car or been in a streetfight while handcuffed? That's what it feels like, and consequently why Sixaxis has yet to make good use of motion controls.
However there are some games that the Wiimote simply is not capable of doing well. I could never possibly imagine trying to play something like twilight princess with only the Wiimote alone.

Wiimote + Nunchuck >(far greater than) Sixaxis
The limiting factors of the Wiimote by itself have been removed. A joystick and two buttons are added along with a second motion sensor. this is far better that what the Sixaxis does as both hands are free to move independently of each other. No handcuffs here. Any issues with not having a second joystick are made mute by the proper use of motion sensitivity and the pointer on the Wiimote.

Wiimote + Nunchuck >(greater than)> Mouse + keyboard
okay, I'll give the keyboard that it has more buttons, yippee. but personally, I'm not too interested in trying to figure out 50 different buttons. I prefer having any button I'm going to press to be right under my fingertips, and not to have to worry about missing the key I wanted and doing something entirely wrong.
If a game is designed well, most of these things that are set to a keypress should be able to be tied to button combinations and motion, or made as icons on the screen which can be selected with the Wiimote pointer.

Wiiboard >(probably better than)> PSeye
(speculation)
The PSeye has potential, but the software just isn't strong enough to handle the shape recognition and ignore extraneous information. if someone walks behind you or in front of you, that can end up getting interpreted by the eye as if you had made the motion yourself.
The PSeye could be greatly improved just by incorporating 2 cameras, which would allow it to analyze 3d motion. As it stands, it is really only capable of interpreting 2d images. Along with this, you have to watch teh screen and try to figure out where you're supposed to be standing and putting your arms, when IRL, there's nothing there. With teh Wiiboard, you are given your frame of reference so you can tie what is happening in the game to what you need to do in reality.
(end speculation)

Wii Zapper < Shit
Seriously. i don't know what nintendo was thinking with this one. I've seen better third party peripherals, and quite frankly, I'd rather play with shit on my wiimote than play with the Wii Zapper.

I guess we all have our opinions, but I 100% agree with your last 2 sentences.