By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - AT&T's end of unlimited data and the iPhone

If Verizon does this I will strongly considered getting rid of my smartphone. Don't need interent on the go that much.

Around the Network

If I'm paying for my bandwidth, can I tether my pc to my iphone yet?

hduser said:

If I'm paying for my bandwidth, can I tether my pc to my iphone yet?

For an extra $20 a month you will be able to.

Limited download FOR THE LOSS!!! >:(

i thought things were supposed get better and unlimited internet was supposed to become more common, not the other way around!! :(

serves me right for listening to stupid pachter, who suggested that downloadable movies and games were gonna become the norm, and that communication companies would stop putting limits on internet. got all my hopes up for nothign :(

famousringo said:

I'm not impacted by this because I'm in Canada, but personally I would find the change favourable. In a year of ownership, I've used less than 3 GB of data, and Rogers actually lets us tether up here. The big limit on how much I enjoy my phone is battery, not bandwidth, and it's a problem that I'm not sure is going to get better as hardware manufacturers keep competing with beefier processors, larger displays, and 4G radios (see reviews of EVO 4G).

The part of this new scheme that's bunk is the 200MB plan charging $15 for another 200MB. Go over your limit and you're paying more than a 2 GB plan for 20% of the bandwidth, and God help you if you need more than 400 MB.

Uh I used over 800 meg this past month (mlb.tv FTW) so, God help me?  Not everyone fits into the same usage model you (or I do) and I don't think that these 2 tiers of service AT&T is proposing will fit over 90% of all users.

I don't mind paying for bandwidth, that makes sense to me.  I mind low caps.  If I need lots of bandwidth, I should have an option to pay for that if I want to.  I should be able to chose a plan that fits me from a large number of plans.

Around the Network

AT&T has always been a scam. WHile I feel bad for nw iPhone users, its new iPad owners who will feel the pain. With apps like Netflix 2GB goes by in a flash. Thankfully I'm "grandfathered in", but it doesn't make this any less insane. If this isn't a sign of the split between Apple and At&t I don't know what is. Verizon iPhone here we all come.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

in france the standard is 45€ for the Iphone pack... that is unlimited 3G bandwith (though slower after 1Go), unlimited SMS, 1 hour 1 hour weekend call, 3 unlimited numbers and 3G TV (unlimited too... unless you go at 1Go where I guess it gets very laggy).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

averyblund said:

AT&T has always been a scam. WHile I feel bad for nw iPhone users, its new iPad owners who will feel the pain. With apps like Netflix 2GB goes by in a flash. Thankfully I'm "grandfathered in", but it doesn't make this any less insane. If this isn't a sign of the split between Apple and At&t I don't know what is. Verizon iPhone here we all come.

What does it mean to be "grandfathered in"?

Kenology said:
averyblund said:

What does it mean to be "grandfathered in"?

It means that those of us who already have unlimited plans are allowed to keep them, even after an upgrade. It is only people who change plans after June 7th that are effected.

That said AT&T said 1st gen iPhone owners can still choose the unlimited plan even AFTER june 7th. 

I know, it is crazy confusing and the typical AT&T bullshit.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

I hope other companies do not follow this, I currently use over 2GB per month,  and with me getting the EVO 4G tomorrow,  I am sure it will go even higher cause then I can stream videos in HD and use the higher bitrate setting in Pandora.