By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Anyone read any good books recently?

Soriku said:
Kantor said:
dtewi said:
Kantor said:

Dtewi, this was before cable TV and video games. Children had to find some way to fill their time.

Yeah.

And why the hell do I have to read that in a book?

It's supposed to show the innocence of youth. Besides, Boo Radley is an important character, so keep reading.

It's too bad the book is generic LOL RACISM. I never bothered to finish it...didn't have to either. Don't think we did something important in class when we had to read the book last year.

Southern America in the 1930s was racist! It's not like they made this stuff up...

It's not generic "lol racism", anyway. It's about how one man who believes in equality stands up to a racist society.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

tagged. i need some new books.

im about to start reading Out by Natsuo Kirino for the 3rd time. its a crime novel set in Japan, but it has an emotional story. its pretty good.

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

I totally love this. (Tells the story between GEOW 2 and Geow 3).
But for sure not only a must for the Geow fans...

And also (to improve my English).

Re read the count of monte cristo, the 1.5k page version. It was still as awesome as the first time I read it.

Still reading Leviathan.  Really good book by the way.  It actually contains artwork by Keith Thompson who did some of the concept art for Borderlands.

Around the Network
weaveworld said:

If anyone in this thread is looking for some series that beat Goodkind's by a longshot it's Jordans'  The wheel of time!

Care to give a quick synopsis? I really enjoyed Sword of Truth series so it'd have to be earth-shattering to be better in my mind.

The BuShA owns all!

Vertigo-X said:
weaveworld said:

If anyone in this thread is looking for some series that beat Goodkind's by a longshot it's Jordans'  The wheel of time!

Care to give a quick synopsis? I really enjoyed Sword of Truth series so it'd have to be earth-shattering to be better in my mind.

Sword of Truth is basically (in some documented cases, exactly so) a rip-off of Wheel of Time and a few other major fantasy series. 

Wheel of Time is a landmark fantasy series, probably only eclipsed in the past two decades in genre significance by George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire'--which was a complete game changer and ushered in a new age of "gritty, realistic" fantasy, as opposed to the previously-dominant swords-and-sorcery fantasty of the 80's/early nineties.

Anyway, The Wheel of Time has been around since the early 1990's and is set to (finally) conclude next year in volume 14. There's also a prequel. So, reading it is a big commitment, but it's totally worth it. Some of the later books drag if your read them on their own, but if you plow through the series in one straight shot they hold up pretty well.

Imagine Sword of Truth without all the philosophical pandering, poorly disguised parables, and much more well-drawn, memorably characters. It takes place in a very-elaborately detailed pre-industrial fantasy world. Grab the first book, "The Eye of the World', and trust me, you won't be disappointed. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

If no-one has said it yet: the Road my Cormack McCarthy is a book everyone should read. Very easy book but so moving. exceptionally good if you like apocolyptic type stories.

Also loving the Horus Heresy series by the Black Library, a range of really good writers who love writing about a wary grim dark future. a must read if you like anything Warhammer 40,000 or scie-fi

Finally World War Z by Max Brooks - because you have to know what's coming...

Atari 2600, Sega Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Advanced, N64, Playstation, Xbox, PSP Phat, PSP 3000, and PS3 60gb (upgraded to 320gb), NDS

Linux Ubuntu user

Favourite game: Killzone 3

blaydcor said:
starcraft said:
FaRmLaNd said:

I'm reading The Ship of Destiny which is the 3rd and final book of The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb. Its the best of the three books, so its looking like the trilogy will end with a bang.

I've just read two graphic novels. V For Vendetta and Kick Ass. Both were very good, especially V For Vendetta which I like just as much as Watchmen. Alan Moore is amazing.

I have read three of her trilogies.

I am just about to start the Rain Wild Chronicles.

This woman is simply amazing.

Have you read the Farseer or Tawny Man trilogies?  They are absolutely stunning.  I know The LiveShip Traders is set in the Elderling universe.  Is it great?

While this is true, the 'Soldier Son' trilogy was absolutely terrible. 

I hope you're wrong.  I just purchased the first book.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
blaydcor said:
starcraft said:
FaRmLaNd said:

I'm reading The Ship of Destiny which is the 3rd and final book of The Liveship Traders by Robin Hobb. Its the best of the three books, so its looking like the trilogy will end with a bang.

I've just read two graphic novels. V For Vendetta and Kick Ass. Both were very good, especially V For Vendetta which I like just as much as Watchmen. Alan Moore is amazing.

I have read three of her trilogies.

I am just about to start the Rain Wild Chronicles.

This woman is simply amazing.

Have you read the Farseer or Tawny Man trilogies?  They are absolutely stunning.  I know The LiveShip Traders is set in the Elderling universe.  Is it great?

While this is true, the 'Soldier Son' trilogy was absolutely terrible. 

I hope you're wrong.  I just purchased the first book.

Well, maybe not terrible, but certainly not up to Farseer/Tawny Man scratch. Starts off good but it's just so relentlessly depressing. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.