By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii game recommendation needed please!

Hey guys, so my dad has decided he's going to buy a Wii and his birthday is coming up soon, what what better gift could I get him than a new game for his new wii? Can you guys help me out please!?! He's turning 50 and he hasn't played video games in at least 5 (or more) years. We used to play NHL games a lot so I'm thinking maybe a sports game.

I don't know much about the wii so please recommend me some good titles for a 50 year old guy who is the definition of a casual gamer. My 2 thoughts so far have been the new Tiger Woods game that's coming out soon (because he loves golf) or New Super Mario Bros Wii.

Around the Network

Go with New Super Mario Bros Wii, or maybe even Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Pretty much anything Nintendo has made. I can not recommend in sports games as I do not play them unless of course he likes Basketball a new NBA Jam is coming out this fall and it is looking pretty fun.

Well if he loves golf then definitely either the new Tiger Woods or Tiger Woods PGA 10 (I would base my decision on whether reviews say the new one is better than 10 or not, 10 was considered the definitive version when itcame out). If he's buying the Wii now, he will get with it the motion plus (as part of Wii Sports Resort)- be sure that is the case, since motion plus is the way to go for Tiger Woods 10 (and probably 11).

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

i usually don't buy sports games so i can't comment on them, but since he is 50, something oldschool could be nice, in particular if he used to play when was 30.

go with New Super Mario Bros. Wii or Punch-Out!!

a lot of grown up peolpe buy the wii only for wii fit and to stay fit, if it's his case, you should get him Ea Sports Active and/or Ea Sports Active More Wokouts(beware of the second one! some accessories you need to play the game are not included and you should buy them separately, if you don't buy the first game, which has them bundled). I can assure you that they are both really well done and can give you a good workout (thanks to them i lost 5 Kg in 3 Months).

You should also take in consideration Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. while it isn't exactly a "casual game" so at first he may need some advices from you on how to play it, he should like that game. the main charachter is a father, and i believe many of the themes of the game will resonate with a 50 years old father.

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

Around the Network

I don't know if your dad is into Pinball, but there's 2 great Pinball games on the Wii.  Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection and Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottlieb Collection.  They're the epitome of 'good' casual titles that even gamers can enjoy.  But again, only get them for him if he likes Pinball, as they're realistic Pinball Simulator games.  Also, I'd say get The Williams Collection over Gottlieb if you can find it, but its out of print.

Other ideas are of course stuff like the Mario titles, LEGO Star Wars/Batman/Indiana Jones (if he happens to be a fan of any of those series), Metal Slug Anthology (if he likes Arcade shooters) oreven Mario Kart if he likes Racing.

I'd suggest Muramasa, but you said he's a pretty casual gamer.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

I suggest Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii.  these are the best games to play with people that doesn't play videogames too much.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Excite bots is a good under appreciated racer title that anyone can get into, there's also mario kart.

buy new tiger wood if he loves playing golf he won't be disappointed.

Yeah, Tiger Woods is great on Wii. I don't give a crap about golf and even I love it.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.