By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Will time travel ever be possible?

That is the same as asking if we'll ever travel at or past the speed of light. If we can, then we can go back in time.

Around the Network

read about warp holes im not sure who said it but I think it was eisntein everything happens at the same time and there are different dimensions and you can use these warp holes to travel into different dimensions or places in space.Like a shortcut through space.

I am Kong.

Strong and passionate, I tend to be misunderstood, sometimes even feared. I don't want to fight, I don't want to cause trouble, all I ask is a little love, and a little peace. If I don't get what I want, I get angry, and throw barrels and flaming oil at whatever's stopping me. What Video Game Character Are You?

Watch star trek buddy.

I think it's possible. The future, at least , is possible. However, I don't think the past can be traveled back to and I sure as hell hope there isn't someone who creates such a machine. Would create time paradoxes as someone already mentioned. And even Kevin Butler from the future says it gets pretty messy.

Easy, all we have to do is activate the FTL drives and accelerate the Mass Effect cores. :P

Never. If it were possible, we would live in alternate dimensions.

Around the Network
nightsurge said:

Stephen Hawking held a party for time travelers to come back and socialize with him.  No one showed up.

I'm gonna go with Time Travel will never be possible, at least not to the past, or not in any controllable fashion.  Maybe someday if we figure out wormhole travel there could be some goofup that sends someone to another time as well as place.  Until then I think whoever said the "near light speed travel is close to time travel" is right.  You can actually do that now with real space shuttle travel, the aging difference just isn't as drastic.  I think it's something like an earth day goes by every 7-9 hours when traveling at high velocity in a space shuttle/rocket.

Hopefully he had a better turnout for his "end of the world" party when the LHC went online...

nightsurge said:

Stephen Hawking held a party for time travelers to come back and socialize with him.  No one showed up.

I'm gonna go with Time Travel will never be possible, at least not to the past, or not in any controllable fashion.  Maybe someday if we figure out wormhole travel there could be some goofup that sends someone to another time as well as place.  Until then I think whoever said the "near light speed travel is close to time travel" is right.  You can actually do that now with real space shuttle travel, the aging difference just isn't as drastic.  I think it's something like an earth day goes by every 7-9 hours when traveling at high velocity in a space shuttle/rocket.

Whoa, not even close. Warning: wild numbers follow :)

If T is the time as measured in a lab on Earth and t is the time measured in a rocket travelling at speed v then

T=t/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

where c= speed of light.

A factor of about 3 (24hours/8hours) would require 9 = 1/(1-v^2/c^2) i.e. v^2/c^2=8/9 or in other words to get that big an effect the rocket should be travelling at sqrt(8/9)*c = 94% of the speed of light.

Obviously our shuttles and rockets travel only at a very small fraction of that, as the shuttle orbits at about 10Km/s, while light travels at about 300000Km/s - that's about 0.003%.

As you can imagine, that means that the time dilation effects on planes, rockets and shuttles are really small. But they can still be measured with atomic clocks (the first experiments date back to the '70s).

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Simple experiment:

Think to yourself "I wish my future self would come back in time to meet me."

If he comes back, congratulations, you just created a new era of science!

If not, that sucks.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

WereKitten said:
nightsurge said:

Whoa, not even close. Warning: wild numbers follow :)

If T is the time as measured in a lab on Earth and t is the time measured in a rocket travelling at speed v then

T=t/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2)

where c= speed of light.

A factor of about 3 (24hours/8hours) would require 9 = 1/(1-v^2/c^2) i.e. v^2/c^2=8/9 or in other words to get that big an effect the rocket should be travelling at sqrt(8/9)*c = 94% of the speed of light.

Obviously our shuttles and rockets travel only at a very small fraction of that, as the shuttle orbits at about 10Km/s, while light travels at about 300000Km/s - that's about 0.003%.

As you can imagine, that means that the time dilation effects on planes, rockets and shuttles are really small. But they can still be measured with atomic clocks (the first experiments date back to the '70s).

Lol, I believe ya.  I just remember reading a book where they took a shuttle around the earth and every 7-9 hours they could communicated with the people on earth as their "next day" or something.  I am probably not remembering the time correctly or something.  I read this book when I was like 10...

I think travel to the future will be possible one day, but I think that would be impossible to meet the older you there, like Back to the Future suggest. To the past is other thing If it´s possible surely you will meet the younger you there, but traveling to the past would be much more difficul.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?