By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who already wants VGC 4.0?

I dislike the lack of color - in general and to especific consoles - but I understand it in order to keep a more serious/professional look, other than a fanboy site.

But really I don't like that I have to go to especific foruns now... I did all my VG Chartz browsing through the main page... just clicking the all button to refresh the furun topics. Now it's gone (is it?).

But yeah, the new site is faster.

Around the Network

One important thing that people need to remember is that while things have been split into four seperate sites they are all tightly interlinked so people should still be able to navigate between areas in one or two clicks!

I am defiantly with you on this one

the new site actually kinda hurts my eyes a little... i think its the font. or maybe the color scheme. and where are the comments for articles... i always loved reading what people had to say on the site related to some article.

ioi said:

Come on, have a little bit of respect for the team of people who've spent the last 3-4 months slaving over this site.

It may not be to your initial taste (everyone hated VGC 2.0 if you remember) but if you look around all the different areas you'll see that we're doing a lot of things now that just weren't possible with the old site. The decision to move to network of seperate sites is obviously deliberate and has a number of advantages over the old design.

My major complaint is how the forum looks now. It looks like it's a forum that's made on those free servers... 

It's also hard to see the difference between what someone wrote and what someone has quoted. And I hate the fact that they took away the area in which you could see in what threads you posted(I know it's still here, but it's harder to go to right now). 

Respect is something you have to earn. 

On a more positive note, those video ads are finally gone and the site's faster. But that's all the good things I could find. 

ioi said:

Personally (and maybe i'm just used to it), I don't see the issue with using the top tabs to navigate the sites. Each one has its own homepage and menu system and you can jump between them based on what you want to do. Most of you guys will spend most of your time on gamrConnect I guess, but it is easy enough to head to gamrReview to check the latest reviews or previews over E3, gamrFeed to find the latest news posts, VGChartz to check for sales updates.

It is just a different way of doing things and something everyon needs to get used to I guess. With time you'll see the beauty of the system and the depth and flexibility it offers over the old site. The eventual plan is to have your activity feed fully customisable - you can set news / review alerts, follow certain games for updates and so on. There is a lot of cool new stuff on the way.

I don't see much problem with it being "split" (though with so much interlinking I don't really see it as split in much else than the design and the url) like you say, I think it's a question of people being confused after having built up a system of navigation with the old site, everyone was the same on the change to 2.0.... though I still to this day think the top menu bar of 2.0 that you finalised was very limiting (on 1.0 and now 3.0 there are drop down options for instance under data analysis, or under the consoles in gamrreview.... with 2.0 I usually used the links at the bottom of the page to get where I wanted, which is a bit counter-intuitive to new people, anyhow that problem is no more )

The customisation of the feed thing sounds excellent, at the moment I think with gamrConnect a small amount of information seems to be taking up a lot of space... one thing that I would think many will welcome is a constant "my recent threads" at least present on all forum pages... I don't think many will mind if it is below an advert or something (do adverts get more revenue if nearer the top of the page?)
Similarly the "recent threads" (for all users) is a little hidden, and short, at the bottom of the "Forum" page even though it is far more useful than the single "last topic" you get for each seperate forum, but take up loads of space.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
ioi said:

Come on, have a little bit of respect for the team of people who've spent the last 3-4 months slaving over this site.

It may not be to your initial taste (everyone hated VGC 2.0 if you remember) but if you look around all the different areas you'll see that we're doing a lot of things now that just weren't possible with the old site. The decision to move to network of seperate sites is obviously deliberate and has a number of advantages over the old design.

My major complaint is how the forum looks now. It looks like it's a forum that's made on those free servers... (aww crap I can't colour my text... well there is something else to add anyway)

It's also hard to see the difference between what someone wrote and what someone has quoted. And I hate the fact that they took away the area in which you could see in what threads you posted(I know it's still here, but it's harder to go to right now). 

On a more positive note, those video ads are finally gone and the site's faster. But that's all the good things I could find. 

Darn, I can't make coloured text, nor different sized anymore

Anyhow I was debunking the thought that it looks like a free forum, I think the older one looked more like a free one than this.

Samus Aran said:
ioi said:

My major complaint is how the forum looks now. It looks like it's a forum that's made on those free servers... 

I hope he didn't get banned over that. What he said was harsh but he did make a valid point without being a jerk.

NJ5 said:
ioi said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:

hey we all love VGC,it is my fav site

and i know people would have worked hard over this but did you really needed to separate everything

it has a number of advantages,its alrite to expand into a network but atleast keep the VGC HUB like the all in one VGC we had earlier.

Well, what specifically is it that you dislike? The hub page lists a few of the most popular stories, latest reviews, latest chart and a few threads - is it really that different to the old homepage?

The biggest issue with the old site is that it didn't know what it was trying to be. I had this comment made to me on many occasions - are we a sales site, a reviews site, news site, community site? By throwing it all together it overwhelms many new visitors to the site and turns them away. With the new design, we have the correct balance between having seperate core areas to appeal to different people and an overall cohesiveness that pulls the site together.

Like I say, nobody likes change and those who were used to the site will want the old site back just like everybody did with 2.0. Those who can see the big picture will be excited about the new possibilities that this site offers. gamrConnect in particular is now geared more towards many smaller relationships and interactions than one large one where everybody annoys each other and trolls each other's threads. You can form friendships, track those friends, use their wall to keep in contact and then go to find the forum that is of most interest to you to post in. It will reduce trolling, taking threads off-topic and give each sub-forum a different feel. It will obviously take some time to adjust to, but it'll be worth it...

VGC 2.0 was in fact a bit overwhelming in its front page, but it did have the traditional VGC features easily accessible (sales data and forums). The reason it was overwhelming was that you were expanding the site with more and more kinds of content (reviews, news, etc.).

VGC 3.0 has the opposite problem of fracturing all the content into different sites, which many people don't appreciate as it means more mouse clicks to access the same information.

If you look at the big picture, it seems to me that the root of the problems behind both 2.0 and 3.0 is that you are trying to make the site do too much. And now reaching a point where it's no longer a site, but four different ones, none of which is as good as the original VGChartz.

EXACTLY

i cant see weekly sales of every game with its reviews...where will i have to go to check out every game's sales with comments from users about it..

I agree with the OP , i just dont like this new site.

Its now much slower to get from different areas of the site and it just doesn't feel as good.

In my opinion they just totally ruined the site.

End of 2012 prediction:

xbox 360 : 73-75 million  playstation 3 : 72-74 million  wii : 104-105 million 

Most hyped for :

Bioshock: infinte, The Last Of Us, Alan Wake's American Nightmare and Agent