By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - What do you like/dislike about the new site design?

What do you like/dislike about the new site design?

I love everything! 3 1.88%

I like most changes, but mistakes were made. 16 10.00%

Overall for the best, but LOTS of problems. 19 11.88%

Many improvements, but ov... 25 15.63%

Some improvements, but I ... 47 29.38%

I hate everything, ioi most of all!!! 50 31.25%

Total:160

Personally I'd be in between 4 and 5. 

I expect I'll get used to the dark-on-light color scheme, just as I got used to the reverse for the previous incarnation vs. the original color scheme.  But other things I suspect will continue to irk me even if I do get used to them. 

(Aside:  Oh god I wish I could have the old post history back, and I don't mean the one from yesterday.  But I digress, and anyway it's not like I go there every day.)

Good things: 
The site seems to load faster, and things are "slicker". 

When I go to make a reply in the forums, it simply makes a box surrounded by blackness.  This loads superfast which is awesome, but ... well, I'll tell you later. 

I think I might get to like the segregation of things into four main sections.  I expect the fans of our reviews will like the boost this elevated visibility gives them in views/status. 

I'm sure this "good things" section will grow in my mind as I notice things as time passes.  For instance, I just noticed the "this post was made x time ago" feature, which is very nice.  Might help stop accidental necros. 

Bad things: 
I liked the pop-up box for my username with all those links, for post history and photo albums and editing my profile and going to IM etc. etc.  Some of this is replaced by a list where My Recent Threads used to be but not all of them, and anyway I liked it that all that stuff was only there when I wanted it.  If this was costing the site in terms of loading time or performance, though, I'd live with it. 

"where My Recent Threads used to be" IT'S GONE!!!  I can't tell you how awesome that feature was briefly enough to say here, but its absence is a tragedy.  Hopefully the loss is temporary? 

Hot Topics is also gone.  In its place is, apparently, a brief Recent Threads list at the bottom of the Forum page.  Which offers no stats about how many posts I've seen out of how many there are in the thread, which was a very useful feature. 

The forums are, IMO, frankly a mess. 
-- The column width is smaller. 
-- I hate those dumb quote boxes everyone's posts are in. 
-- It's harder IMO to tell one post from another, especially if there are a lot of quote nests flying around. 
-- It's harder IMO to tell where posts end and signatures start, though this may well be only me. 
-- THE QUICK REPLY BOX IS GONE!!!  (Hopefully this is temporary.) 
-- Likewise gone is the Rich Text Reply link; you have to do it in reply to a specific post now, apparently.  Many people probably won't care, but I do:  for one thing, if I choose to be replying to the OP I'll have to scroll up or go back to a previous page. 
-- When I do go to reply, it doesn't have the last couple dozen posts in reverse order below it like there used to be.  This was a really sweet feature I used many times to do some last-minute double-checking or what-have-you, which I'm sure I'll miss sorely on occasion.  Or I'll just open a new tab whenever I reply, which is a little annoying to have to do. 

I don't even know what that green P number means, but the reason it's in this list is because it reminds me of Gamestop.  Petty, I know, but oh well. 

I could think of more I'm sure but I want to get this thread out in the wild before I'm beaten to it if I haven't already been. 

Tell me what you think!  Answer the poll!  Add to my lists! 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Also you can only navigate one page forward or back in the forums now.

WHAT THE FUCK IT KEEPS EDITING OUT EVERYTHING AFTER THE FIRST SENTENCE ASGGDS[GDS[HASFFGAFDHADFN

"Also you can only navigate one page forward or back in the forums now.  As opposed to three or four in either direction plus the first and last pages.  This is such a huge mistake, such a throwback to the dark ages of forum design, that I can only imagine it's an oversight that will be corrected posthaste.  "

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

One small problem with the new website is, that it asks me if I want to temporarly install some Fonts. I am sure, that I can turn the message of by configuring my browser. However it is annoying as hell, because it asks me after every link I click.

It looks a lot better the the last version, that's for sure.

Around the Network

i just learned from your post that i need to reply to someone else's post in order to actually post lol.

for the most part, I guess it'll just take some time to get used to but all the problems you mentioned are the ones I quickly noticed myself. I hope they're fixed.

One thing you should add to your list: the pages of a thread are not shown, I must shuffle one page at a time in the thread (unless I haven't noticed the page numbers, in which case, they're well hidden or i'm blind.) and the numbers should be shown at the bottom of each page as well as the top, I don't wanna scroll back up each time.

The only thing I would really change is the placement of the sub-sites in the hub site. Show the VGChartz sub-site on top by replacing it with gamrFeed or gamrReview. I mean, shouldn't it be the main focus of the Network?

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

also, I like that the vgchartz page is still essentially the same as the old one, if I only have a bit of time to visit the site, first i check sales info which is there, then recent articles which are there and then hot topics...which like you've mentioned have been replaced by recent topics, and I can't segregate the focus of the threads!! hopefully this is flipped back to the original one.

I also liked the color difference in wii, ps and xbox matters, so that it was always clear

I like it, but i hate

Garnett said:

I like it, but i hate

that it constantly edits out everything after the first line or sentence?