By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - can religion be blamed for war?

ManusJustus said:
Religion makes it easier for wars to occur, but in most cases religion isn't the cause for war. For instance, the Crusades were caused by European desire to conquer new lands and acquire wealth (just as the Muslims did in the Balkans and Iberia), but it was easier to recruit soldiers, raise money, and keep morale high by using religion as the reason.

This ^

And because the crusades failed we started looking for new trade routs as the east was blocked by more powerful empires(Islam, China). And that's how colonization of the world began and how Christianity spread like a .......

But religion had massive influence on the European powers during the middle ages. A German emperor of the first reich even had to kiss the feet of a pope and beg for forgiveness. They could convince the European powers to take up their arms and fight a "Holy War" against the Muslims.

Around the Network

Only the Holy Wars.

Somehow yes, I mean, religion problems can become a small controversy, then it becomes a fight, and when you realize there's war

Some.

But not all. There are usually other underlying ideologies or desires (mostly greed) that surpass religion as being a cause.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

d21lewis said:
Only the Holy Wars.

If by Holy Wars you mean Jihad and crusades then no. Religion was used as an excuse as well then.

A good example of that is how the Crusaders took over Byzanthium instead of fighting the Muslims(which they couldn't beat anyway). 

The Holy wars were caused by a massive influence of the Catholic Church, that's true, but it was an excuse to go to war never the less. The "Drang nach Osten" as it's often described is the real reason why the Crusades took place.

Europe at that time was a marginal and peripheral area that wanted to break free of that position. Europe had pretty much nothing to offer, nor did they control any important trade routs at that time. Those were in the hands of the Islam and China. The Crusades was an attempt to control some of the wealth the east had and try and take over the trade routs from the east. The crusades clearly failed and that's why they decided to try and establish contact with India/China through a different sea route. That eventually led to the Trans-Atlantic trade route and new trade routes between Portugal and Asian countries.  

Around the Network

People have wars for religion. but it is not a good reason as wars are pointless what did the world gain on a hole after ww1 or 2. countless good men and women died for nothing. what did the crusades prove who got to rule Jerusalem for a few years. no one won them and they were about religion, everyone lost.
When you learn about different types of religions non of them say about fight and wars the gods are loving and just.

It's used as an excuse to go to war, yes. But it is less frequently the actual cause.

I would say that a lot of wars have been fought under the banner of religion, but I don't think the majority of them have had religion as the root cause.

Snesboy said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Great OP, you got your point across well.

I'm not even going to respond to the title question since you couldn't be bothered to write anything in your own thread.

Ditto.

I am sorry :)

I haven't written because I am kindda torn because recently terrorisom is only or mostly spreading under the umberrella of religion but I also think that humans would never fail to amuse us in coming up with ways and reasons to fight.

a better question would be, "do you think the world can be a better place with no religions?"

To answer the question in the title: Yes. If video games can be blamed for violence, a dog can be blamed for making a man murder, and Betty Rubble can be blamed for making me masturbate, then yes--religion can be blamed for war. That doesn't mean that religion, that dog, Betty Rubble, or video games is the actual cause, though.

And can the world be a better place with no religion? I think that religion is one of the reasons people aren't worse. If all that was keeping people from doing wrong was the law, I'd have killed and raped you all by now. The fact that someone told me, a long time ago, that God was watching my every move (knowing that he's watching when I have sex really turns me on!) and that I'd go to Hell if I killed and raped you guys is the only thing keeping you all safe. I would have made it look like an accident, too.

I guess the world would be better without SOME of those religions, but who am I to judge? I'm just a man who likes boobs.

d21lewis said:
To answer the question in the title: Yes. If video games can be blamed for violence, a dog can be blamed for making a man murder, and Betty Rubble can be blamed for making me masturbate, then yes--religion can be blamed for war. That doesn't mean that religion, that dog, Betty Rubble, or video games is the actual cause, though.

And can the world be a better place with no religion? I think that religion is one of the reasons people aren't worse. If all that was keeping people from doing wrong was the law, I'd have killed and raped you all by now. The fact that someone told me, a long time ago, that God was watching my every move (knowing that he's watching when I have sex really turns me on!) and that I'd go to Hell if I killed and raped you guys is the only thing keeping you all safe. I would have made it look like an accident, too.

I guess the world would be better without SOME of those religions, but who am I to judge? I'm just a man who likes boobs.

red:

yellow:

Actually my friend's exact words were "the world is better off without religions especially Islam" but me thinks the fact that islamic countries are going through dark ages is the real reason why most of the terrorists act under Islam banner because simply it is easier to decieve people living in dark ages XD