By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Apple is now worth more than Microsoft

Now, can we say that Apple is the evil large corporation and Microsoft is the smaller, less evil competition?

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network
SmokedHostage said:
Now, can we say that Apple is the evil large corporation and Microsoft is the smaller, less evil competition?

So you're saying there's a direct correlation between market capitalization and evil?

*sees that Exxon-Mobil still has a larger market cap than Apple*

You may be onto something here.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Ssenkahdavic said:
superchunk said:
Well, they saw the future need of portable devices far quicker and better than MS. However, I firmly believe in 10 years Google will be ahead of both.

I absolutely agree.

I hope not...I can't work for them.  Google doesn't hire anyone without a  university degree. I do not have one of those. :)

Everyone keep in mind that by this metric, Nintendo is a 'bigger' company than Sony (not SCE, the entire of Sony)

What this says is that the total amount of money you would have to spend to purchase 100% of the Apple stock, if everyone sold at the market price would be more than you would have to spend to buy al the MS stock.

This is not really 'bigger' so much as 'more valuable'

The metrics I would consider to see which is the biggest company are revenue and number of employees. MS is just ahead in revenue and way ahead in employee count.

Semantics out of the way - that's awesome news. Good to see Apple rewarded for all the awesome products they have delivered recently

scottie said:
Everyone keep in mind that by this metric, Nintendo is a 'bigger' company than Sony (not SCE, the entire of Sony)

What this says is that the total amount of money you would have to spend to purchase 100% of the Apple stock, if everyone sold at the market price would be more than you would have to spend to buy al the MS stock.

The metrics I would consider to see which is the biggest company are revenue and number of employees. MS is just ahead in revenue and way ahead in employee count.

Semantics out of the way - that's awesome news. Good to see Apple rewarded for all the awesome products they have delivered recently

Not for long...

Nintendo's market cap is down to 40 billion and Sony hovers around 30-32 billion$.

My expectation is that within 1 year Sony is going to pass Nintendo again...( Nintendo's profit growth perspective do not look that great in the short term, until they release their next device)

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
scottie said:

Not for long...

Nintendo's market cap is down to 40 billion and Sony hovers around 30-32 billion$.

My expectation is that within 1 year Sony is going to pass Nintendo again...( Nintendo's profit growth perspective do not look that great in the short term, until they release their next device)

We shall see

Nintendo have an established habit of predicting low, then raising if necessary, Sony are more likely to estimate high and lower if necessary

Thanx bro .for another reminder for me to never spend any of my money on anything APPLE!!!

dont apple owe microsoft shit loads of money for bailing them out i guess they can pay them back now

themanwithnoname said:
Don't see how Apple and Microsoft stock prices are related to video game sales at all...

I can see why one mgiht think so, but there is a causal link here. Let me take you down it.

Stock prices take in to account the markets expectations of future earnings, i.e. the market now expects Apple's profits to grow significantly more effectively than Microsoft's (or almost anyone else's).

These sorts of profits -- even when they come from outside of the video game industry -- have frequently been used as a blunt weapon  to bludgeon one's way in to the gaming industry.  Both by third party software publishers (Warner Brothers has used its capital from other forms of media to fund its investment in studios like Rock Steady), and in first party investment, most obviously Microsoft.

Put simply: Microsoft's profits from Windows and Office have played an enormous role in their ability to succesfully push the 360. They've spent ~5-6 Billion dollars on the Xbox brand to get it off the ground.

If Apple fulfills its earnings forecasts over the next several years, this will provide them ample ammunition to be as forcefully blunt as Microsoft has been, if they so chose to be. And there is reason to think they may choose to do so, as they have pushed further in to the gaming space over the last several years, both on their iPhone OS platform and on the Macintosh.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

SmokedHostage said:

No, because MS still has, at least for the time being, bigger cash, and everybody knows that cash is more evil than both assets and market cap. 

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!