By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PSN+ subscription details

Kantor said:
Garnett said:
sully1311 said:
Too expensive! Thats gonna equal around £100, no way im i paying that

I agree. I hate paying $7 per month for Xbox, but $10 on PSN???? I know its optional but still...

Before people were saying "Ill never pay for online" and "$50 a year is too much" and now its "you got my money sony" and "good job sony"..

Granted You must pay to play online for xbox, but still, What happened to your never gonna pay?

The difference is that you're not paying to play online.

If you look at it, this is nothing like Xbox Live Gold. Did you read the article?

This is assuming the article is true, which we do have to assume if we assume that $10/month is the real price.

Yeah i konw its nothing like XBL, But people swore up and down they wont pay. So does that mean Paying for XBL is fine now? I know online is still free for PSN but your still paying, additional features or not. Just like Gold has additional features that silver doesnt, your still paying.

and Free online gaming > XBLG

Around the Network
Kantor said:
I hate to be that guy, but this is double the price of Live Gold.

But then if it has all of this content, then it's worth it.

I don't know, $120 is a good amount of money.

* Cloud saving is cool but $9.99 is a lot to ask for

* Cross Game Chat, I personally don't care about but I can see how people could.  The problem with this is that your buddy must have it too, hope the $9.99 per month isn't too much for them!

* PS1/Mini's per month - I would be willing to be the first few months have some decent games and then you get an endless barrage of terrible games or games you would never otherwise pay any amount of money for.

* Insurance -- I would rather read more about this but $120/year for insurance on my PS3?  My immediate instincts tell me that is a TERRIBLE deal.

*GoogleTV - I haven't read much on this but what I have read has told me it's pretty pointless, especially when PS3 users keep telling me they already have Hulu.

*Automatic Updates-- Really cool and nice time saver but not $9.99/month cool

I hate being that guy too but so far it doesn't sound like a deal.  Just go through any other subscription based service or anything else that is $120 and see what you get, those are generally going to be a much better value.  Even all that above together isn't worth $9.99/month.  It's some neat features but nothing I would spend $120 on.

twesterm said:
Kantor said:

* Cross Game Chat, I personally don't care about but I can see how people could.  The problem with this is that your buddy must have it too, hope the $9.99 per month isn't too much for them!

* PS1/Mini's per month - I would be willing to be the first few months have some decent games and then you get an endless barrage of terrible games or games you would never otherwise pay any amount of money for.

* Insurance -- I would rather read more about this but $120/year for insurance on my PS3?  My immediate instincts tell me that is a TERRIBLE deal.

*GoogleTV - I haven't read much on this but what I have read has told me it's pretty pointless, especially when PS3 users keep telling me they already have Hulu.

I hate being that guy too but so far it doesn't sound like a deal.  Just go through any other subscription based service or anything else that is $120 and see what you get, those are generally going to be a much better value.  Even all that above together isn't worth $9.99/month.  It's some neat features but nothing I would spend $120 on.

But plenty are going to sign up anyway. $120 per year?  The PS3 has the highest income  market of the big 3.  This is a big step for Sony and it's amazing that Sony finally has something on the PSN that they charge for as they've had to just give the service away for the longest time.

@ Garnett I think the difference is that certain people absolutely will not pay to play online as they see this as a key feature, regardless of what other features XBLG may have. Whereas said people are willing to pay for premium feature,s so long as they can still play online for free whenever they choose to not pay for these features. These people basically just have principles that include not paying for online i guess. Another way you could look at it is people not interested in XBLG's other features see it as paying $50 for online, whereas this is paying $50/whatever it will cost on just the additional features while the online stays free. 

supercat said:
twesterm said:
Kantor said:

But plenty are going to sign up anyway. $120 per year?  The PS3 has the highest income  market of the big 3.  This is a big step for Sony and it's amazing that Sony finally has something on the PSN that they charge for as they've had to just give the service away for the longest time.

Are you people thinking this through at all? Assuming this is true it wouldn't be $120/year. The yearly rate would probably be somewhere in the area of $75-$100 which if you have an older machine is almost worth it for the protection plan alone, let alone all the other features. Especially cloud-based saving. No need to get an external HDD enclosure if you upgrade your HDD.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

Around the Network

US$120 a year????? OMG thats so expensive are they crazy??????????????

US$10 a month is HUGE

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

i could buy a Handheld with what is needed to pay PSN+ once a year, thats one less Christmas present for those that celebrate it

dd if = /dev/brain | tail -f | grep games | nc -lnvvp 80

Hey Listen!

https://archive.org/details/kohina_radio_music_collection

Unfortunately, eventually all these services are going to require pay-to-play.

If that happens though, one would hope the servers would remain up. There is nothing worse than charging for access to something that does not exist.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
Unfortunately, eventually all these services are going to require pay-to-play.

If that happens though, one would hope the servers would remain up. There is nothing worse than charging for access to something that does not exist.

Mike from Morgantown

Do you mean in the form of EA shutting down servers or like the original Xbox games' matchmaking servers?

If the developer is providing the servers (like EA), there is no guarantee.  If they use the standard matchmaking servers they should last as long as they are relevant.  Halo 2 matchmaking was available for over 4 years after the next generation started which seems very good in my opinion.  The only reason it was shut down was because of incompatibilities with the newer XBL system and games.  If XBL is not too drastically changed from this generation to the next the matchmaking servers for games like CoD, Gears of War, Halo 3, etc could stay on much longer.

so they are gonna charge for cross game chat and its 10 bucks a month?

how lame