By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Total Software Sold By Platform

red_dead said:
vgchartz doesn't have any serious estimation of worldwide software numbers and neither has anybody else except the software sellers themselves (Sony, MS, Nintedo)... vg software estimations are even less reliable than the hardware ones.

Sony recently stated in their official reports they sold more software on PS3 than MS did on 360 in the last fiscal year. That's all what we know for sure until now. PS3 > 360 now in software sales

Incorrect on so many levels

The first being that VGChartz in inaccurate on a worldwide scale for software. This is simply not true, and is evidenced by the fact that VGChartz figures are compared to released shipment figures by ioi and his staff, AND by members of the community

As for the 2nd paragraph, I hope for your sake that you aren't trying to imply that the total software sales for the PS3 are higher than those of the 360.

Around the Network
red_dead said:

Sony recently stated in their official reports they sold more software on PS3 than MS did on 360 in the last fiscal year. That's all what we know for sure until now. PS3 > 360 now in software sales

Uh... correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought MS didn't even give out software figures?  Can you source us?

scottie said:
red_dead said:
vgchartz doesn't have any serious estimation of worldwide software numbers and neither has anybody else except the software sellers themselves (Sony, MS, Nintedo)... vg software estimations are even less reliable than the hardware ones.

The first being that VGChartz in inaccurate on a worldwide scale for software. This is simply not true, and is evidenced by the fact that VGChartz figures are compared to released shipment figures by ioi and his staff, AND by members of the community

As for the 2nd paragraph, I hope for your sake that you aren't trying to imply that the total software sales for the PS3 are higher than those of the 360.

I think he was trying to say that the PS3 sold more total software in the previous year (not LTD) that the 360 did.  It's impossible to know, though, I would thing (1, without a link and 2, if no one knows, how would Sony know MS's?).  It seems possible, but who knows...

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Funny, when you see the actual stats regarding sales, software and hardware for Nintendo compared to the others...its just staggering. And makes a lot of the be trolling and doom saying look even more pointless.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

jarrod said:
FreeTalkLive said:
fastyxx said:
Software numbers are very estimated after the first couple weeks especially. Hard to track all those catalog titles. But those numbers scottie posted give you an idea. Especially hard when we will start getting more on more downloadables of the old catalog games, like the 360 on demand games, for example, or Warhawk/Burnout Paradise etc. (Not that those numbers are huge compared to the hundreds of millions yet.)

Does Wii not have the most online sales?  You think Xbox 360 has more online sales than Wii?  Maybe.  PS3 is likely a distant 3rd.

You mean digital releases?  VC+WW > XBLA > PSN

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.  Though, I guess it is possible that the total games DLed on Xbox 360 is greater than the total games DLed on Wii.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
scottie said:
red_dead said:

For what it's worth, he is kind of right with the first paragraph though it is overly negative.  The software is much less accurate than the hardware numbers.  It's not that rare to see the numbers here far above shipment numbers.  Sure they'll get adjusted, but we also don't get shipment data on every game.

Yakuzaice said:
scottie said:
red_dead said:
vg software estimations are less reliable than the hardware ones.

For what it's worth, he is kind of right with the first paragraph though it is overly negative.  The software is much less accurate than the hardware numbers.  It's not that rare to see the numbers here far above shipment numbers.  Sure they'll get adjusted, but we also don't get shipment data on every game.

I edited out all the bits that are wrong. So you are right in that there is still something there, the rest was incorrect and flamebait

And yes, it is true that VGChartz overtracks some games, it also undertracks others. It basically averages out for total sales though, unless there is a systematic error in the formulae that ioi et al apply (ie Walmart might actually be really pro one console without ioi having taken that into account)

FreeTalkLive said:
fastyxx said:
Software numbers are very estimated after the first couple weeks especially. Hard to track all those catalog titles. But those numbers scottie posted give you an idea. Especially hard when we will start getting more on more downloadables of the old catalog games, like the 360 on demand games, for example, or Warhawk/Burnout Paradise etc. (Not that those numbers are huge compared to the hundreds of millions yet.)

Does Wii not have the most online sales?  You think Xbox 360 has more online sales than Wii?  Maybe.  PS3 is likely a distant 3rd.

I was thinking more the current gen games that would otherwise be tracked as retail box sales.  Not things like SMB3 Virtual Console games.   

The older the games are, the less likely they are to be tracked, retail-wise too.  It's somewhat easier to get "shipped" numbers from the developers and publishers in financials, but we have no way of knowing how many of those are sold through.  The software numbers worldwide are spotty at best.  Some games will be very accurate due to PR releases - especially big ones.  Something passes a milestone and we hear about it.  But otherwise we get estimates much of the time that can vary widely.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:
FreeTalkLive said:
fastyxx said:

I was thinking more the current gen games that would otherwise be tracked as retail box sales.  Not things like SMB3 Virtual Console games.   

The older the games are, the less likely they are to be tracked, retail-wise too.  It's somewhat easier to get "shipped" numbers from the developers and publishers in financials, but we have no way of knowing how many of those are sold through.  The software numbers worldwide are spotty at best.  Some games will be very accurate due to PR releases - especially big ones.  Something passes a milestone and we hear about it.  But otherwise we get estimates much of the time that can vary widely.

For the majority of the games, after 12 months of release, shipped = sold is very close to being true. Obviously not for things like Mario Kart: Wii, but frontloaded games, after a year have very little stock in shelves