By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: PSP2 will be a download-only!!!

KylieDog said:
Looking to PSP GO as an example is worthless. PSP GO had competition from a regular and cheaper PSP, to make things worse a lot of publishers are not releasing their games for download making the GO even less appealing, then the fact that retail usually cost less than a downloaded game, making regular PSP seem even better.

Reasons PSP Go failed:

- PSP regular cost less
- Physical format games cost less than digital
- Only small fraction of PSP library available for download, it grows but not very fast.
- Already owned games don't work with it.
- Numerous new games not released for it.

If a PSP2 released:

- No rival PSP2 product
- Digital only games so no cheaper alternative
- All games would release for it since no alternative (3 of the negatives of PSP GO fixed in 1)

O-M-G! Finally someone that trully understands it, at least I think exactly the same way. People are saying PSP Go bombed because of DD, really?! The reasons KylieDog explained makes SO much more sense. If PSP2 fails, it won't be merely because of DD.

Around the Network

And people thought they were bullshitting when they said the Go was selling what they expected...

4 ≈ One

So many factors to consider here.

First, pricing. $40 for DL portable games is asking too much for all but the most "big budget" efforts (for portable games).

Second, if the platform starts as a DL only, with ALL PSP2 games available from the very beginning through PSN or whatever the PSP online service is called, there won't be a split market like there is between the vast majority UMD PSP user base and the secondary PSP Go user base.

Third, efforts to keep costs under $200 should be a major priority if they want to see widespread acceptance. I'm just not convinced that a marketing plan for a "premium" priced hand held is going to be accepted just like that. A $250 bundle wouldn't be outrageous, but it would have to be an attractive "value" bundle.

Fourth, maybe there will be a fair amount of effort given to quick turnover "minis" that are priced accordingly (on par with iTunes Store games).

And as for this demand for physical media, I find it REALLY hard to believe that anyone is really that attached to the UMD format, arguably the WORST format ever conceived for a portable system.

Swappable media for portable gaming is no longer necessary at this stage and is really nothing more than an inconvenience for actual gaming on the go.

If that many people are so attached to the idea of having a physical token that represents their game, SCE may as well sell game cases at retail outlets with nothing but game manuals inside with voucher codes printed on them.

And of course, the two analog nubs are a given. Better yet, just make the control layout like a DS3.

Wow. I like downloading (in fact, the few UMD games I own, I wish I'd have downloaded --for the convenience) but Sony is committing suicide if they're going that route. It's too soon. And how long does it take to download a PSP game without a PC or a PS3? I've never been brave enough to try!!

lmao @ all the doomerz

market share, that's all that matters huh, pathetic gamers these days ... oh wait i called them gamers XDDDD

anyway, if Sony prices it right, both hardware and software, and I don't see a problem

Around the Network

The d/l works on celphones because they are cheap, mostly under $5.

It would be hardsell if your only option for full retail game is d/l and costing $40+.

I could buy the same game multiple times if it's only $5 for each of the family member but no way I'd buy a $40 game 3 times. I'd like to be able to pass on the game once I am done.

I don't think that anyone here give Sony enough credit in the pricing arena on digital games. They have improved greatly in the past few months or maybe I'm the only one seeing how dramatically fast the prices are dropping on PSP games. Down to Ipad like levels which I think is fine for most PSP games. Most real exceptions being first party titles at as much as 29.99 and some of them I think worth it.

In addition they have minis which does bring a ultra casual swarm of content. With the rumored touch screen more games will come faster as they don't even have to redo the input methods.

“We took a very sophisticated PlayStation middleware and shrunk it to fit the Android OS,” says Arriola. If this quote means even more games being crossplatform with android then they have content and pricing covered. DD doesn't mean insta-death, overpriced platforms with overpriced games do. Sony looks like it's preparing to make the idea a lot better for the consumer with PSP2.

Google TV on your PSP platform could be a selling point as far as media and content on the go. As well as chrome being the shit.

It seems like Sony should have games and media and browsing all neatly taken care of with their next iteration of PSP. Why so many doom and gloomers?

PSP2 = IPhone?

So then It's going to be a failure right out of the gate? Atleast thats what I'm going to assume right now.

Even if it were a gaming phone It would have to compete against a already dominate IPhone market.

Since Sony has learned nothing from the Go I'll also assume it will carry a hefty price.

It's just that simple.

Lastgengamer said:

Without having the physical retail market this could be disastrous.

What are you talking about? there is a game card market.

@MonstaMack - you mean Android market.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453