By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Not sure I should respond to either of you. No one has answered my question yet they get all flustered and blustered when they claim I haven't answered their question.

Why is the PS3 NOT a failure. Some one tell me. Why should I believe it isn't when I have no reason too.

Also, you all have been saying "Oh, you have not facts. You are speculating." Well, did anyone care to look it up?

Around the Network
Smashchu2 said:

Not sure I should respond to either of you. No one has answered my question yet they get all flustered and blustered when they claim I haven't answered their question.

Why is the PS3 NOT a failure. Some one tell me. Why should I believe it isn't when I have no reason too.

Also, you all have been saying "Oh, you have not facts. You are speculating." Well, did anyone care to look it up?

so risk takers are failures. i see. i understand loud and clear. and looking it up is your job when you make the claims you've been making. all three have failed in one way or another. thats just the way this bussiness is. i say they all failed sence i haft to have more then one console to get the best of all worlds for every genre of gamimg. i don't see failure like most cause i'd like to stay positive about things. failure is how you preceive it. any company that fail's is no longer a company, or they make deals, get bought out, or mirge with other companies.

im still having troble wondering how a console thats starting to make a profit, is out selling it's closes comp in all but one country, and can afford to take risk on new IP's every yr it's been on the market is failing?

if it's selling and still on the market it's succeful. yes that would include the 6th gen gamecube because it never left the market.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Smashchu2 said:

so risk takers are failures. i see. i understand loud and clear. and looking it up is your job when you make the claims you've been making. all three have failed in one way or another. thats just the way this bussiness is. i say they all failed sence i haft to have more then one console to get the best of all worlds for every genre of gamimg. i don't see failure like most cause i'd like to stay positive about things. failure is how you preceive it. any company that fail's is no longer a company, or they make deals, get bought out, or mirge with other companies.

im still having troble wondering how a console thats starting to make a profit, is out selling it's closes comp in all but one country, and can afford to take risk on new IP's every yr it's been on the market is failing?

if it's selling and still on the market it's succeful. yes that would include the 6th gen gamecube because it never left the market.

First, too both of you: I don't think I need to waste my time looking up an old article. It took 10 seconds and I think you guys are big enough to use Google. I also hate the whole philosophy everyone is pulling where if there isn't evidence, it must not be true. Basic understanding of cost would have told you that lowering the price also lowers your profitability. That's just common sense.

Also, how does that many any sence?

• PS3 was a risk? A risk is where there is a good probability you'll fail. Just becuase you did fail, doesn't mean it was a risk. The Wii was a risk becuase something like that had never been done before. The PS3 was not becuase everyone agreed that that was the progresion of consoles. They just failed.
  • How is a shortage a success? Shortages can mean you didn't supply enough. Shortages can mean your company is so unorganized that you can manage to get units to the retailer. Nintendo had a shortage becuase their consoles were in unbelivable high demand. Sony just can't get units into the store (it's sales are under both the 360 and Wii where Wii was, again, above the other two).
  • It just started making a profit, so it is now a success? How is this even rational. "All right guys. We just turned a profit on our product after 3 and a half years of extrordinary losses. If that is successful, I don't want to know what a failure is.
  • And now that you have to buy all three (i.e. Competition) they are failures. What?
  • A gambler can always take risk, even after he's lost all of his money. Even failures can take risk. In fact, this is the only way to win a game of poker. The winning and losing players have to take risk. Does that mean the losers never take risk?

Soom of this is unbeleivable. This is "I have a very positive outlook, so nothing is a failure. Even the billion dollar loser who just keeps losing and losing.

So I'll ask again. How is the PS3 not a failure.

Smashchu2 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Smashchu2 said:

First, too both of you: I don't think I need to waste my time looking up an old article. It took 10 seconds and I think you guys are big enough to use Google. I also hate the whole philosophy everyone is pulling where if there isn't evidence, it must not be true. Basic understanding of cost would have told you that lowering the price also lowers your profitability. That's just common sense.

• PS3 was a risk? A risk is where there is a good probability you'll fail. Just becuase you did fail, doesn't mean it was a risk. The Wii was a risk becuase something like that had never been done before. The PS3 was not becuase everyone agreed that that was the progresion of consoles. They just failed.
  • How is a shortage a success? Shortages can mean you didn't supply enough. Shortages can mean your company is so unorganized that you can manage to get units to the retailer. Nintendo had a shortage becuase their consoles were in unbelivable high demand. Sony just can't get units into the store (it's sales are under both the 360 and Wii where Wii was, again, above the other two).
  • It just started making a profit, so it is now a success? How is this even rational. "All right guys. We just turned a profit on our product after 3 and a half years of extrordinary losses. If that is successful, I don't want to know what a failure is.
  • And now that you have to buy all three (i.e. Competition) they are failures. What?
  • A gambler can always take risk, even after he's lost all of his money. Even failures can take risk. In fact, this is the only way to win a game of poker. The winning and losing players have to take risk. Does that mean the losers never take risk?

Soom of this is unbeleivable. This is "I have a very positive outlook, so nothing is a failure. Even the billion dollar loser who just keeps losing and losing.

cause just like the other two it's still selling. i don't need any other reason then that. and so the wii never supplies enough? what if PS3 passes both wii and 360 in total sells! will it be a failure then? and when you don't supply the source to back your story. it makes your debate weak and no matter how mutch facts you present. it makes the hole arguement pointless. it's coments like that that makes it hard for gamers accross all plattforms to have a real disscusion. 

im not here to debate this because it's pointless we are going to disagree. it's just like that thread that asked(why make games if theres no profit? or something like that.) my out look on this keeps me away from that fanboy mentaliy that i hat so mutch. i understand your point about cost and lossing money and failure in that sence. but why does it haft to be a failure as a hole.

is MS realy that profitable? over 1B dollars to fix it's failure rate and the console is still broken? now you tell me why i should beleave PS3 a failure when i have no reason to?

Smashchu2 said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Smashchu2 said:

and as far as im concerned. as long as a console has great games and sells. if can't be a failure. if you don't like the console fine, but why not try to be objective and positive about it? and why not talk about the possitives. ok. i see. you don't see any.

failure

PC piracy

PS3 launch/Profit

Wii hardcore games is the weakest argument. so know failures

360 Failure rate

paint it how you want to. we can't debate this cause you make no sence to me. and i make no sence to you.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

You should use that link and look it up for yourself. It is you making claims, nobody should have to do the work for you.

As for your question, it's been answered already. What you choose to see isn't a problem of anyone else.

CG? how did you get into that bias debate?

CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

You should use that link and look it up for yourself. It is you making claims, nobody should have to do the work for you.

As for your question, it's been answered already. What you choose to see isn't a problem of anyone else.

I asked a simple question and have had a question asked of me WITHOUT having my question answered. Oh well...

This Thread

And to prove you wrong..........

I am actually curious, how is the PS3 (currently) doing "badly"?

My answer(s)

• The system has lost 576 million dollars. Now this is just the last figure. The cheaper PS3s may not have been shipped which may mean they lost 612 million dollars. It could even be more as $18 was the last figure, and probably the lowest one. This is a low ball estimate.
  • The best selling games on the PS3 are from third parties which have sold around 5 million I beleive. This is a far cry from Microsoft's 10 million and Nintendo's 40 million for their top game(s).
  • Sony also does not increase in demand. The two jumps past the Wii the system has ever had have been price cuts. The first was the initial and and the other was the Slim. (NOTE:Demand=/=Quantity Demanded. Quantity Demanded is how many units of a good is demanded at a set price level. Demand is just how much we want a good. It shifts due to factors other than price)
  • PS3 is now supply constraint and is selling under the compition, but Nintendo sold over them. This means people aren't calling stores to see if they have PS3s. They aren't waiting in long lines for them. They are not rushing out the store with the last PS3. Demand is low for PS3s and anyone with a basic understanding of economics can see that.
  • If they use the FIFO inventory method, they still lose money
  • This is over time. Sony's Slim boost is falling and there is no doubt about it. This particular week was bad, but ig you look at weekely sales, this was happening before this week.
  • The Gap gets bigger every week the 360 beats the PS3.

And now here is the kicker, you words: HAS it done badly, yes. HAS it lost tons of money, yes. IS it it in last place, yes.

I answered it a long time again, but you never looked at the facts. Most of the time, people would cherry pick what they want or try to shift topics to the 360 and Wii and try to call them failures.

So I answered your question a long time and then some. So would you answer mine. You have dodged it at every turn.

Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

I asked a simple question and have had a question asked of me WITHOUT having my question answered. Oh well...

• The system has lost 576 million dollars. Now this is just the last figure. The cheaper PS3s may not have been shipped which may mean they lost 612 million dollars. It could even be more as $18 was the last figure, and probably the lowest one. This is a low ball estimate.
  • The best selling games on the PS3 are from third parties which have sold around 5 million I beleive. This is a far cry from Microsoft's 10 million and Nintendo's 40 million for their top game(s).
  • Sony also does not increase in demand. The two jumps past the Wii the system has ever had have been price cuts. The first was the initial and and the other was the Slim. (NOTE:Demand=/=Quantity Demanded. Quantity Demanded is how many units of a good is demanded at a set price level. Demand is just how much we want a good. It shifts due to factors other than price)
  • PS3 is now supply constraint and is selling under the compition, but Nintendo sold over them. This means people aren't calling stores to see if they have PS3s. They aren't waiting in long lines for them. They are not rushing out the store with the last PS3. Demand is low for PS3s and anyone with a basic understanding of economics can see that.
  • This is over time. Sony's Slim boost is falling and there is no doubt about it. This particular week was bad, but ig you look at weekely sales, this was happening before this week.

Your points in order:

- The system has lost far more then $500 million. Losses on hardware are probably in the billions.
- Sony have yet to release GT5.
- The Wii is obviously this gens winner, it appeals to a broader market.
- Demand for the PS3 is still tracking well above last year. I have no idea what you're talking about with "low demand".
- Take a look at the sales charts. PS3 sales are healthy and this year will be a big one for the console. We're heading into the slowest months of the year, of course you will have noticed sales dropping.
- Which hasn't been for months...? The gap is the smallest it has ever been right now.

I'm not going to get into an argument over the defintion of what constitutes as a failure or not, but I thought I'd address those points.

Dallinor said:
Smashchu2 said:
CGI-Quality said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
CGI-Quality said:
Smashchu2 said:

Your points in order:

- The system has lost far more then $500 million. Losses on hardware are probably in the billions.
- Sony have yet to release GT5.
- The Wii is obviously this gens winner, it appeals to a broader market.
- Demand for the PS3 is still tracking well above last year. I have no idea what you're talking about with "low demand".
- Take a look at the sales charts. PS3 sales are healthy and this year will be a big one for the console. We're heading into the slowest months of the year, of course you will have noticed sales dropping.
- Which hasn't been for months...? The gap is the smallest it has ever been right now.

I'm not going to get into an argument over the defintion of what constitutes as a failure or not, but I thought I'd address those points.

Good point, just wanted to point out the bold.

Demand is the same. Quantity Demand is higher. Demand is our want of something. Quantity Demanded is how much we want it. Demand shirts when certain things happening (for the Wii, it's when they release key software). Quantity Demanded changes only for price and price only effects Quantity Demanded. Basically, people do not want it more, they want to buy more of them at it's new price level (if that made any sense).

PS3 is doomed

Kazunori Yamauchi will be shocked when he learns the news.