By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumour: PS3 XMB to get a complete revamp?

phxprovost said:
Dgc1808 said:
FUCK NO!! Why are people requesting this shit??? What's wrong with the XMB??? It's simple, clean, to the point and as colorful as you want it to be...

because its ugly and looks like it was thrown together in 5 seconds to be released with the ps3, like the youtube video posted above it clearly stands to gain some improvement

Figured it's pointless to take you seriously after seeing that...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I personnally don't care if they change or not. As long as I can still use my custom wallpapers I make as my default and I have access to games then no problem with me.

But what I wouldn't mind also is just a change design, not a complete revamp. Make it look more sleek and luxurious or something along those lines.

i really don't see the need for it, its perfect!

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

The XMB is pretty good but its too laggy. I'm tired of seeing the refresh icon taking forever while I'm playing a game. If they fix that, then the XMB as it is is fine. Although a redesign (if its along the lines of some of the great work we've seen some people create) would be pretty good too.

Doesn't matter.

Who's the best Pac, Nas, and Big. Just leave it to that.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Slaughterhouse Is The Sh*t  .... NOW ........ B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Around the Network

I just hope Sony hires someone who knows a thing or two about gui development. Every Sony product I've ever used, consoles, tvs, dvd players, cameras, ect. have had flashy, but terrible user interfaces.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

If it happens cool, I don't mind the one we have now, Its nice and easy, you don't have to hunt for stuff like you do on XBL,

Personally, I just want changes to the way certain things are done so that I can spend as little time on the XMB as possible. The XMB is supposed to be used a quick jump between the functions of the PS3 itself, after all.

A couple of ideas:

- Remove all unnecessary icons and options from the ingame XMB. If the feature can't be used ingame, then don't include it in the XMB. This will reduce load time for the ingame XMB and will also reduce the amount of time I spend navigating through the XMB.

- (taken from 360) hitting the home button whenever a notification is displayed for either receiving a message/invite or unlocking a trophy will bring up the message or the trophy details. This will certainly reduce navigation times (to zero, really), and, if done right, could reduce load times as relatively little information would need to be displayed.

- Allow users to enable some kind of optional cache which will store friends lists, and their trophies. This way I won't have to wait for the friends list to load when I first log into the system, and comparing trophies will take a lot less time (rather than having to download my friend's entire trophy catalogue each time I compare, the system will only need to download their new trophies).

- Grid view. Have the option for a grid view for music and video, like photo. If the grid view has 4 columns, this could theoretically quarter the amount of time spent navigating through the files. Also, if the content is sorted alphabetically, scrolling fast should bring up a little letter indicating where about you are in the list.

Maybe it got more to do with Sony's plans to launch PSN on other Sony products like TV's, Blu-Ray Players and more?

They started a whole new subsidiary for this purpose called Sony Network Entertainment

I don't know how i feel about this if true. yea i think improvements can be made as shown in that youtube video, but then again i don't think i would like any extreme changes. hope an revamp of in game xmb is a part of this if it actually happens though.