By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Microsoft get out of the console race if Natal is not successful?

ArnoldRimmer said:
Squilliam said:

The PS3 has a 2* BRD. A new console could have a 6 or 8 speed drive. This means they wouldn't need a HDD which is immediately a $30 cost savings even accounting for a more expensive drive initially.

A future console without a hard disk drive? I see no way this could happen, disk caching is just one of dozens of reasons for having lots of storage space. I'm sure even Microsoft will learn from its mistakes and will never again release a console like the 360 Arcade.

Ya no HDD would be pretty stupid considering the PSN, WW, and XBLA all need storage to store games and add-ons downloaded for games.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

The question should be if Xbox Live Fails will MS leave the console business. Natal is a interesting piece but I doubt it will be the system savior. Microsoft needs to continue getting good software sales, buying new multi-platform games and pushing XBL otherwise they might as well leave.

CommonMan said:
Yes.

"And there was much rejoicing! Yay. . ."

Lmao!

"In the land of nador they were forced to eat Sir Robins Minstrels."

Nope, they didn't join just to quit so easily. It's kind of like the Zune.

ironman said:
Zipper said:

Do you think it possible that if not will not be successful, Microsoft will get out of the console race?

No. They will try again next gen.

They said they see it as something that will give the Xbox 360 another 5 years in the market and will continue in the next generation of consoles with their next console

Let say Natal fails, what do you think they will do? how will they keep selling the Xbox 360? The sales now are obviously great, but how could they keep them? can the Xbox 360 really live beyond it 5th year?

Yes, if natal sales fail, the 360 sales will not dip much lower than now over the next few years.

If the Xbox 360 sales starts falling down, do you think they'll just launch their next console to get the advantage like they did in this generation?

I have mixed feeling about this, I just bought my first 360 after being able to use my brothers for two years. So I really would like to have this gen last a little longer so there are more games for the 360, on the flip side, I would love to see what the next console will be.

Most importantly - What will they do if Sony's next console is successful like the PS2 as opposed to the first Xbox? Will they keep their console alive until the generation after? Is Xbox and Microsoft Games Studios really that important to Microsoft from a financial standpoint to the point where if it fails so hard like the first 2 years of the PS3, they will still keep it?

Who cares, as long as they make a profit I think they will stick with it and try again next gen. MS looks at the long term as well as the short, they are very business savy.  

this guy reads like a book. love your answers man. i don't think they need the games industry for there bottomline. they have PC'S and other software apps for that.

Around the Network
FKNetwork said:
Lord N said:

First of all, Microsoft's "plan" didn't work. Sony's fall from grace in the video game market is due solely to their own tremendous gaffe's, the most noticeable one being that they released a ridiculously over-engineered $600 dollar console. It was nothing that Microsoft did. Even then, the margin by which they have outsold the PS3 is negligable, especially when you consider that the difference in sales right now is virtually equal to the amount of 360s that had been sold when then the PS3 was launched. That being said, both platforms have moved about the same amount of hardware in the same period of time even though the PS3 has been more expensive with a smaller game library for most of its lifespan.

The Xbox 360 may have sold more than the OG Xbox, but that's not really saying much when the latter only sold 24 million units last gen. MS really had nowhere to go but up. They'd have had to make some mistakes on par with 90's Sega to actually sell less. MS is in the exact same position it was in last generation, which is a distant second place with an insignificant lead over the third place competitor. If the 360 were really doing so great, then why is it that the only system it's managed to outsell all generation is the PS3? Sure, it looks good as long as you ignore the face that it's taking the exact same beating from Nintendo and just focus on the last-place console.

As far as Natal goes, there are going to be a lot of dissapointed people on these forums. First of all, no controller add-on that was released several years into a generation/console's lifespan has ever had any kind of significant effect, and Natal wont' be any different. First of all, it won't have a 100% attach rate, which means that third parties aren't going to pay much attention to it, which goes without saying considering that nearly all of the Wii's most popular games are in-house titles, and MS's in-house talent is really nothing to write home about. Another thing that people don't seem to get is that the reason for Nintendo's success this gen with the DS stylus & touchscreen and the Wii's Wiimote & Nunchuk is software that appeals to everyone, something MS has yet to achieve. Every title like this that MS has attempted(Lips, Scene It, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Banjo & Kazooie) has been an unimitigated failure on all fronts. Very few people will care about it because the demographic that it's meant to target has already been snatched up by the Wii and its more appealing software, and Natal will just be soon as a weaker version of the Wiimote. Really, had Nintendo released the Wiimote as an add-on for the Gamecube in 2004, would it have made any kind of a difference?

While Natal's imminent failure may not cause MS to exit the home console business, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it did in fact tarnish the Xbox brand.

Please don't tell me you actually believe a word of what you just wrote, what a load of bias rubbish....

And regarding natal, we will all see how well it has done when its released later in the year, hope your ready to eat humble pie, and as I said before, it is Sony that are in a dodgy position right now, if anyone was to leave gaming it would be Sony, PSP a failure, the PS3 losing the company so much money and STILL lagging in 3rd place, Sony losing more money in its latest reports, they can't go on like this much longer and people seriously think they could afford to make a PS4 lol.

lord n. i agree with alot of whta you said and FKNETWORK i just dissagree. sony has made a come back and for you to say if anyone it would be sony is crossing the line for me. on the other hand. i think the hole thread is a fail on this topic. MS failure rate should have doomed them but it didn't. people just kept sayying i like failure: ummm give me some more. nintendo can't get a decent hardcore game to sell if there was one on there console that was good enough to be average.

and as for sony. please don't get me started on sony. they got cocky and fucked shit up big time. the only real thing i can commend them on other than making a comback is selling 16m in there first two yr's in comparison to MS 12m in there first two yr's.

P.S VGCHARTZ has the numbers to back that last statment. im not coming back to this thread in fear of being banned!

ArnoldRimmer said:
Squilliam said:

The PS3 has a 2* BRD. A new console could have a 6 or 8 speed drive. This means they wouldn't need a HDD which is immediately a $30 cost savings even accounting for a more expensive drive initially.

A future console without a hard disk drive? I see no way this could happen, disk caching is just one of dozens of reasons for having lots of storage

space. I'm sure even Microsoft will learn from its mistakes and will never again release a console like the 360 Arcade.

2/3rds of consoles this generation have not downloaded more than 512MB of stuff in this generation. Theres no need for more than a small quantity of flash storage for the majority of people. Remember theres the Wii as well as the Xbox 360 Arcade.

Tease.

Recon1O1 said:
No. Even very slow adoption of their motion control gamble won't put EDD into the red. They can afford a reduction in profit. They threw $100m at Bing like we use spare change.

After paying $4B last gen to get into the business and $1B+ this gen to stay in, it seems unlikely they will quit while earning roughly $1B/yr in profit. Their near monopoly of OS is a thing of the past and the vg business has the potential to earn them $3B/yr next gen. That would be a tenth of net profit on last fy fiscal if I remember correctly. Hopefully they will learn from past mistakes. Xbl is a growing resource stream and an incentive to stay imo. Why chop that money tree?

Where are you getting these numbers? Based on Microsoft's own numbers, they're over 9 billion in the hole since the launch of the original Xbox and only have one year where they actually turned a profit on the Xbox brand, and it was 267M, not 1B.

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Recon1O1 said:
No. Even very slow adoption of their motion control gamble won't put EDD into the red. They can afford a reduction in profit. They threw $100m at Bing like we use spare change.

After paying $4B last gen to get into the business and $1B+ this gen to stay in, it seems unlikely they will quit while earning roughly $1B/yr in profit. Their near monopoly of OS is a thing of the past and the vg business has the potential to earn them $3B/yr next gen. That would be a tenth of net profit on last fy fiscal if I remember correctly. Hopefully they will learn from past mistakes. Xbl is a growing resource stream and an incentive to stay imo. Why chop that money tree?

Where are you getting these numbers? Based on Microsoft's own numbers, they're over 9 billion in the hole since the launch of the original Xbox and only have one year where they actually turned a profit on the Xbox brand, and it was 267M, not 1B.

http://www.microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Now I'm not actually directly attacking you Jumpin, but I'm sick of people talking about the losses that MS took as though they matter at all. They do not. Those costs are considered "sunk" costs, meaning they have already been spent. When a business decides whether they are going to discontinue a line, they look at several factors (current profitiability, the amount the product adds to the contribution margin, etc.) none of those are sunk costs. That money is gone, the ONLY things that matter about the Xbox now are that a) it IS profitable and b) it's keeping them in 40 million living rooms that would otherwise have Sony in them. They are most certainly not going to exit now that they are making money at it. Jesus people, take a basic accounting class before spouting off about profits. 

ssj12 said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
Squilliam said:

A future console without a hard disk drive? I see no way this could happen, disk caching is just one of dozens of reasons for having lots of storage space. I'm sure even Microsoft will learn from its mistakes and will never again release a console like the 360 Arcade.

Ya no HDD would be pretty stupid considering the PSN, WW, and XBLA all need storage to store games and add-ons downloaded for games.

Wrong, you can easily cache off of a USB drive with enough speed, which is exactly what Readyboost does for Vista/Win7.