By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony might not make a PS4?

WarmachineX said:
its 2 strikes and your out in the gaming biz. If sony does poorly with the next one they're gone. I also EXTREMELY doubt the ps3 will be around as long as the ps2 for 2 reasons: technology is way better than it was then so its easier to whip out a new one and second, the ps2 was extremely successful, the ps3 was a flop.

I hardly consider the PS3 a flop.

Around the Network
iWarMachine said:
what are you kidding? did Nintendo stopped making consoles after Gamecube or N64? did MS stopped making consoles after XBOX?

Whilst I find the thread ridiculous, those cannot be compared. Nintendo didn't make any losses EVER on the gamecube and Microsoft intended to make a loss on the Xbox to break into the industry.

there was an article on google news saying that sony offically stated today that they are now making profit on the ps3

yum123 said:
there was an article on google news saying that sony offically stated today that they are now making profit on the ps3

yup:

not just today but the last 3 month's..

Sony's PlayStation 3 turns profitable

May 13, 2010, 5:34 AM EDT

Sony has finally begun making money on its PlayStation 3 console and expects its game business to turn a profit this year, the company said Thursday.

"The turnaround represents a success for Sony's new management team, which made profitability at the division a key short-term goal when it took over in April 2009."

During the three month period Sony started making money on each console sold.

http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-05-13/sony-s-playstation-3-turns-profitable.html

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

All the companies that stopped making consoles were because they no longer had the capital to invest in manufacturing a new console. Sony, MS, and Nintendo all have the capability to continue developing consoles so they will continue to do so.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
yum123 said:

yup:

Sony has finally begun making money on its PlayStation 3 console and expects its game business to turn a profit this year, the company said Thursday.

"The turnaround represents a success for Sony's new management team, which made profitability at the division a key short-term goal when it took over in April 2009."

http://www.businessweek.com/idg/2010-05-13/sony-s-playstation-3-turns-profitable.html

plus with new 40nm RSX they are making even more money

1. PS3 is currently making profit.
2. PS3 allowed Sony to make HUGE profits due to Bluray winning.
3. PS3 will be the highest 2nd place sales for any console in history. (yeah I said it 360 lovers)
4. Even SEGA didn't stop making consoles until it had several money losing ventures. Sony has only had one and that may end up overall profitable in the end, 2013 NO 10 YEARS BUDDY, one year after PS4 is launched.

Solid_Snake4RD said:
joeorc said:
yum123 said:

yup:

plus with new 40nm RSX they are making even more money

and since the Cell processor in the PS3 will soon go to the 22nm scale!,that also mean's more profit there also.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Sony will hopefully not make the same mistakes as they did launching thr PS3 with the PS4. They'll make a console technically powerful and more developer friendly console and the First Parties will come out with great games.

superchunk said:
1. PS3 is currently making profit.
2. PS3 allowed Sony to make HUGE profits due to Bluray winning.
3. PS3 will be the highest 2nd place sales for any console in history. (yeah I said it 360 lovers)
4. Even SEGA didn't stop making consoles until it had several money losing ventures. Sony has only had one and that may end up overall profitable in the end, 2013 NO 10 YEARS BUDDY, one year after PS4 is launched.

agree on the whole thing but PS3 will be selling more than 2013.

PS3's 10 year cycles ends in 2016 so as follows:

PS4 will launch in 2012 but people still buy the old systems for atleast 2 years.so atleast 2014

Plus developing markets only start buying systems on previous gen when a new gen comes,look how PS2 is doing in Brazil.It was only launched last year.

Plus devs keep developing for older consoles so sytems will sell.