By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony might not make a PS4?

I don't think there will be a profit this year, but the loss will be far less than before. Now with next year, I think that Sony will be profiting off the system. There was also a loss due to the Playstation Move's development.

Around the Network
SpartenOmega117 said:

Lets be honest here. Sony has not made a profit on the PS3 ever since it launched. Even with big hitters like God of War 3 PS3 still didnt profit. Is there a chance that sony might not make a console for the next generation and just make software like Sega did.

Gos of Wae 3 would have made profit,how will that happen?

it just earns a couple of millions for sony

there is no chance and don't compare it to SEGA.

Blu-ray was mainly brought into PS3 ro lay its foundations and then reap the rewards with PS4

Couldn't this question been in the "are sony happy with the PS3" ?

andremop said:

Gamecube profitted guys... it's not like it lost 7plus billions...

There's a possibility... but it's not probable. There'll be a PS4... just not with this name. It'll be Sony's Wii, a different name, a different image.

how does gamecube compare to PS3.wasn't gamecube profiting from start,it just wasn't succesfull but it was selling on profit.

PS3 has lost alot but it was for blu-ray and blu-ray will reward for the next 10 years with PS4 and other devices

Also PS4 won't be Sony's Wii,you think they developed blu-ray for that.People will again embrace the hardcore games just that PS3's price was so high that they had to go for the cheap WII.PS4 will be cheap so people wouldn't have to compromise

SpartenOmega117 said:
so do you guys sony will actually profit with the PS3 thi year?

this Fisical year from April they would have to sold out the old stock but the new SLIMS with 40nm CELL,they are profiting

Around the Network
iWarMachine said:
what are you kidding? did Nintendo stopped making consoles after Gamecube or N64? did MS stopped making consoles after XBOX?

the OP meant that after Sony's loses on PS3,Gamecube didn't sell at a loss.

Xbox too didn't but MS has so much money and they wanted to promote their platform so they spent so much on exclusives and marketing

anyways PS4 will be there

GerOhMyGosh said:
I don't think there will be a profit this year, but the loss will be far less than before. Now with next year, I think that Sony will be profiting off the system. There was also a loss due to the Playstation Move's development.

how won't there be profit this year.Sony's 40nm CELL PS3's are making profit.

Also the MOVE development comes in R&D and thats minor,there were CELL and blu-ray R&D going on PS2 years but they still profited

Even now CELL and RSX reductions are going on but R&D is minor.

Sony atm makes profit from all their gaming platforms PS2,PS3 and PSP.Plus they get almost $2 billion dollars royalties from other developers selling games on their platform.Plus their own games and accesaries.

I have to disagree with everyone here :P except andremop actually

Sony in all likelihood will make a PS4, but the argument that "Nintendo didn't stop at the N64/GC doesn't hold water

Thing is, Sony like being able to use their console to help their other technologies suceed - PS3 sales were a major factor behind BluRay winning over HD-dvd, and most likely also pushed sales of HD televisions. Sony will likely use the PS4 to push their 3d tvs that will be out by this time, as well as whatever disc format the PS4 uses. I'm also expecting the PS4 will be much less technologically advanced (for its time) than the PS4, thus making it a lot easier for Sony to make a profit on it.

STEKSTAV said:
Couldn't this question been in the "are sony happy with the PS3" ?

that would be more appropriate?

as they would be happy with blu-rays success but not with PS3 loses

but with future Blu-ray profits and PS4 being cheap to make they will be happy

Branko2166 said:
Unless Sony implodes you will definitely see another playstation next gen.

People get too caught up at looking at Sony computer entertainment separately instead of Sony as a whole. Sony sacrificed the initial PS3 profits in order to bring in Blu-Ray. Sony makes decisions which they base on long term effects and so while they are taking a bit of a hit now they are already projecting that they will be profitable next year.

Keep in mind also that the world is still in an economic crisis and also that Sony is restructuring.
My point is that there are a number of factors which explain the current situation and that the outlook for Sony is much better than a lot of people here realise.

AGREED