By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Air Force may suffer collateral damage from PS3 firmware update

That might have been a part of their cost benefits analysis when they decided ps3s. They choose cheaper parts but those might not always be available. Old ps3s are no longer being made anyway. However I'm sure if they need repairs or replacements Sony could make an exception.
Or maybe not since them getting the stuff for cheaper came at a loss to Sony.

Around the Network

What a dumb article.

As if Sony won't enable Linux on their PS3's if they asked?

They are the god damn U.S Airforce..

These stupid writers make it sound IMPOSSIBLE for it to happen.

I still hardly understand how after 5 years of existance of it's components, the PS3 is still considered the cheapest way to build these clusters.... I mean sony needs the CELL and all the other crap arround such as BR, but for some reason the air force can't get a better price than the complete package that the PS3 is?? Meh!

(might have to do with the cell architecture giving better efficiency per unit in a cluster.... maybe?)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Summary of thread.

Alephnull "Mah WORK!"

AirForce "Sony tuk our jaaooobs!"

Me "They tuk dur jaobs!"

Sony Fanboys "SHHHHH!!"

Welshbloke "The voice of reason and integrity!"

Chicken "cockadoodledooo!!!"

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Hephaestos said:
I still hardly understand how after 5 years of existance of it's components, the PS3 is still considered the cheapest way to build these clusters.... I mean sony needs the CELL and all the other crap arround such as BR, but for some reason the air force can't get a better price than the complete package that the PS3 is?? Meh!

(might have to do with the cell architecture giving better efficiency per unit in a cluster.... maybe?)

god people need to read the actual article before posting...
anyhoo I guess GeoHot is going to get a military job soon lol

It's all to do with economy of scale Sony contracts the manufacture of ~10 million Cells a year, add in the fact that most of the other components etc and buying until recently heavily subsidised PS3s made more sense than buying a fully speced out server rack. The problem now is that they cannot replace failed nodes so soon they will have to scrap the whole project. 

and to most of the other posters, god people need to read the actual article before posting...

and for those saying that that they should get some special firmware from Sony that would probably cost a lot of money and I don't think that Sony ever officially sanctioned this use of PS3s and I don't think that they would create a custom firmware just because the US military asked them for it, Sony isn't even A US company and the US government forcing them to do it would be illegal and possibly cause a lot of diplomatic tension. I don't think that the PS3s are worth that.

anyhoo I guess GeoHot is going to get a military job soon lol

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network

Unless some dumbass scientist wants to play God of War 3 that bad it won't happen. Then again...

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*
Wiped said:
Dgc1808 said:
I don't get the problem...

Perhaps if you actually READ the article, you'd understand (that goes for everyone who said this). They aren't connected to PSN, but as soon one PS3 breaks, they won't be able to replace it in the grid, ruining the whole thing.

Perhaps if you read the TOS and the information stated by SONY during the update process you'd realize there isn't a problem. I can't remember the exact details but the OtherOS option WAS NOT REMOVED. It's been blocked so that not just anyone can use it like before. There is a way to have the latest update on your system and use OtherOS completely LEGIT via SONY. I'm too lazy to call them up and ask. I see no reason what so ever why SONY would deny The US Air Force this service if they request it.

4 ≈ One

In Canada, and probably other countries, theres a law that force manufacturer to offer repair with default parts and specs for at least 10 years after the manufacturing date. Its a strange assumption from the author or from the PR air force guy to think they will not fix their console leaving the default function on it. Not only its a strange assumption but it would also be illegual in Canada and probably most countries.

I thought nerds...err... I mean everyone was over the removal of Other OS by now.

ssj12 said:
alephnull said:
antfromtashkent said:
Can someone explain to me why they need to update the firmware if there only using the machenes for the hardware?

If you are running a large cluster, invariably you are going to have a large number of nodes with hardware failures. They can't replace broken machines with new ones and they can't send them back to sony for repair without getting the new firmware.

but really third-party repair centers actually repair consoles better then the manufacturers and wont update firmware if they can help it. If my console breaks, I'm taking it to GameStop for repair.

There's only so much GameStop can do without Sony; it's not like they have their own fab.