By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Air Force may suffer collateral damage from PS3 firmware update

Asmo said:
alephnull said:
Asmo said:

This kind of thing is not good for Sony anyway. A lot of hardware but no software to compensate, it's a way to mess with the attach rate.

Those people should know that it costs less and it is faster to do this kind of calculations using GPUs.

No doubt you say this with many years of doing HPC under your belt.

Known fact.

"The team also looked into advanced GPGPUs but found that they worked best to "accelerate a subset of our algorithms, particularly the frontend processing and backend visualization, but lag the PS3 in the bulk of the calculations where processes need to intercommunicate and share memory beyond what is supported efficiently by the GPGPUs."

Around the Network
Asmo said:
alephnull said:
Asmo said:

This kind of thing is not good for Sony anyway. A lot of hardware but no software to compensate, it's a way to mess with the attach rate.

Those people should know that it costs less and it is faster to do this kind of calculations using GPUs.

Known fact.

SOOOOOOoooo a single person who does little but read articles on processing against people who do research and actually worth in the environment knows more? I do believe though that the PS3 were chosen for cost effective performance. GPU processing doesn't work for everything. Though I still find it hard to believe that an internet wanderer thinks he knows more than applied and researched work.

Honestly I doubt this will have an impact of the the clusters. They just need to talk to Sony directly for modified firmware variants.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

antfromtashkent said:
ummm do they run PSN on those orsomething? y do they need to update them?

Why do you think the Warkhawk community is still active?

.jayderyu said:
Asmo said:
alephnull said:
Asmo said:

Known fact.

SOOOOOOoooo a single person who does little but read articles on processing against people who do research and actually worth in the environment knows more? I do believe though that the PS3 were chosen for cost effective performance. GPU processing doesn't work for everything. Though I still find it hard to believe that an internet wanderer thinks he knows more than applied and researched work.

Honestly I doubt this will have an impact of the the clusters. They just need to talk to Sony directly for modified firmware variants.

So I presume this "known fact" has documentation that can readily support your assumptions?

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

I don't get the problem...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
ctalkeb said:

"The team also looked into advanced GPGPUs but found that they worked best to "accelerate a subset of our algorithms, particularly the frontend processing and backend visualization, but lag the PS3 in the bulk of the calculations where processes need to intercommunicate and share memory beyond what is supported efficiently by the GPGPUs."

The first part proves what I just said. Now, I agree that it depends on what sort of data you have to calculate.

This is an example of the inherent risk of commercial off the shelf equipment when used in the military and the reason why they often cannot use COTS and end up designing custom equipment.

They probably could of approached Sony with an order of this size and they may of produced special PS3 units or maybe they should of paid the extra dollars and went with the Xeons units.

Just one reason why spending the publics money is frought with danger. Try and save a buck and get slated try and overcompensate in belt and braces styley and get slated.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
drkohler said:

If you think that they won't get their new/replacement PS3s with Linux enabled you are seriously delusional (same goes for the writer of this stupid article).

not really since Sony could update the firmware at their repair center.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

why do they need PSN for? they don't need it.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

indodude said:
antfromtashkent said:
ummm do they run PSN on those orsomething? y do they need to update them?

Why do you think the Warkhawk community is still active?

because they are using PSN , not Linux

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.